Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Question about Zaino Fusion

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 10:07 AM
tampatopless
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Question about Zaino Fusion

Normally, removing swirls is a two-step process - an aggressive swirl remover like a compound and then a polish to remove any defects the compounding may have left.

I'm interested in using Zaino Fusion, which is clearly a one-step process. Zaino doesn't really offer anything beyond that.

To those of you who have used Fusion, where does it rank on the aggressive scale? Am I going to need a second step of polish or can I go right to Z-5?

I'm working on two cars - red and black. .

I would characterize the black vehicle as very light swirls and the red car as moderate swirls. Neither is too bad. But I just bought both and would like to get started right. I use a Porter with Orange Pads for any cutting and then red pads for any application of LSP.

What is your experience with Fusion?

Tx in advance.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:06 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,573 Likes on 2,165 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I've used Zaino ZPC Fusion many times. I would categorize it as mild on the correction scale. It works very well with minor swirls. If you are successful with your mild/moderate correction, you can go directly to Z5. I have done that as well. Z5 has some hiding/filling properties. For a major paint correction, you would need a more aggressive product than ZPC Fusion.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:17 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

with capevettes
Old 10-12-2018, 04:01 PM
bigcypress
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

how about a hand applied product for very minor swirls while you folks are making suggestions . . .peace
Old 10-12-2018, 06:34 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,573 Likes on 2,165 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

ZPC Fusion can be applied by hand and does a pretty good job with minor swirls.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:55 PM
pcbreflectionsllc
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

@tampatopless I have nothing against Zaino but on a daily basis we use Shine Supply Flat Top on a surface that has moderate defects. Shine Supply Chop Top on significant defects and occasionally Carpro Clear Cut (none of these have filling properties) and we always use rupes mark 2's with 5.5" pads on speed 4-5 with meguiars microfiber cutting pads or buff and shine euro fiber pads. All of that is just doing our leveling correction (compounding). Polishing is a whole other post if you would like some advice on that.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:11 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 636 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by tampatopless
Normally, removing swirls is a two-step process - an aggressive swirl remover like a compound and then a polish to remove any defects the compounding may have left.

I'm interested in using Zaino Fusion, which is clearly a one-step process. Zaino doesn't really offer anything beyond that.

To those of you who have used Fusion, where does it rank on the aggressive scale? Am I going to need a second step of polish or can I go right to Z-5?

I'm working on two cars - red and black. .

I would characterize the black vehicle as very light swirls and the red car as moderate swirls. Neither is too bad. But I just bought both and would like to get started right. I use a Porter with Orange Pads for any cutting and then red pads for any application of LSP.

What is your experience with Fusion?

Tx in advance.
Cliff Notes - Fusion is one of the best products I have used. It is what they call a diminishing abrasive. It starts out as big chunks, to clean up the swirls and breaks down to finely polish the surface. You need to take it down to almost nothing with medium pressure on the orange pads, and no pressure with the red pads. You will get the most incredible finish you have ever seen. Simple enough. You can stop at the Orange pads for an above average finish. a second pass with the red pad, just brings it up that much more.

Now for some serious nitty grit details
As a Pro detailer and a reputation for winning show cars, you cannot go wrong with Fusion. I am going to give away one of my treasured secrets. Even though I sold my shop and used Zaino for my standard details(Ceramics was where I was headed),
I had a long time customer ask me to come back and do his metallic Burgundy Porsche. It was pretty swirled up. I used Fusion as described below with a coat of Clear Seal(which really brings out the metallic), and two coats of Z-2, with Z-8 in between each coat. He won best in show for Legends of the Autobahn.
The Orange Pads(Lake County?) should do the trick, although I always used Meguiars Microfiber pads, then finished off with a Rupes Yellow, to create that incredible shine. The Orange pads should have the aggressiveness to do what you need, just make sure you work the product to completion... ie almost gone from the surface. Use medium pressure, not heavy not light, it makes a difference. Fusion is a diminishing abrasive and not taking it down enough, which is a common mistake, will leave behind some very, very minor imperfections that take away from the shine. Can you see them, no, but they are there.
The Red Pads, do the same and as they are not as aggressive and more of a soft polishing pad, you will not leave behind any of those minor imperfections that dilute the shine. With the Red pads, let the weight of the buffer do the work, DO NOT push hard, again it really makes a huge difference. I have yet to find a product that when Fusion done correctly beats it, and darlinks, I have used a pantload of them at my shop.
Don't know how many pads you have but you should have at least 4 per car. Fusion is pretty good about not loading up a pad, but it does happen.
One of the BIGGEST mistakes I have seen with the hobbyist is using a single pad to do the whole car. While compressed air is not always an option at home. I clean the pad with compressed air on each pass and use the pad for no more than two large panels(Hood, roof), three small panels, Door, trunk, rear area) I have used one pad per panel as I did with the above Porsche. I had a custom Jag come and we used two pads per panel, the paint was so finicky..
I don't care what product you use, the pad gets loaded up with product, and the more you use it without cleaning it, the more imperfections you create that dilute the shine as you progress. CLEAN YOUR PADS
Is this extreme for many, you bet, but when the cars I did pulled into a GTG, or a show, they stood out over and above all of the others.

Last edited by Grzldvt1; 10-21-2018 at 03:23 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Grzldvt1:
ILLUSHN (11-04-2018), tony abbski (12-07-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Question about Zaino Fusion

Quick Reply: Question about Zaino Fusion