Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Ceramic Coating - what is the best

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 10:54 PM
walker3
Le Mans Master

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

Default Ceramic Coating - what is the best

With so many out there now do we know what ceramic coating is the best:
I have been buying from Esoteric Car Care - first 22PLE, then Kamikaze and now they are saying to use MOHS? Then I read here and see what others are using.

so what is the best and easiest to put on?

your thoughts and comments are appreciated. - have a new daily driver that I want to coat and looking for something new - last time I purchased was 2015 so I know technology changes.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:45 PM
JoshVette
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

10 people will give you 10 different answers..... just fyi.
The following 2 users liked this post by JoshVette:
joeybsyc (08-06-2017), ronkh57 (08-08-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 02:48 PM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 609 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by JoshVette
10 people will give you 10 different answers..... just fyi.
Pretty much...you need to find the best coating...FOR YOU.

For daily drivers, Mohs is a solid choice, looks good, good self cleaning, pretty durable (hardness), relatively economical and easy to use. You can add a bit more gloss, water behavior and protection by adding Gyeon Can Coat if ya wanna go a bit farther.

A non-daily driver might be more drawn to less self cleaning and hardness and more good looks (again, a very subjective issue).

In the looks department alone, different coatings can provide different looks. Do you like the harder, candy-like gloss or a deeper, more wax-like glow? That would be a factor to consider as well. Are you mote of a fan of crazy beading or are you more of a 'sheeting' fan?

I tried a number if coatings last winter to try to find what *I* liked and one that would fit my needs, car usage and maintenance habits...and made my decision based upon those findings.

Add to the above, how much are you willing to spend?

In my completely subjective and in no way scientific findings:

Easy application, good self cleaning and maximum 'hard' gloss in a slightly more expensive package, although durability and environmental resistance are still somewhat unknown to me (so far, so good after 5 months): 22ple HPC. Downside is pretty sketchy support from mfg, not widely used in comparison to others so hard to determine large-scale anectodotal opinions of product. Likely about $180 For 2-3 layers, another $30 or so for topper, VS1 Final Coat.

Best durability in a daily usage with decent self cleaning abilities at slightly less cost than 22ple while maintaining a nice gloss: Gyeon Mohs. The test vehicle I used this on in Feb 2017 is still looking great with NO washing or maintenance since then, sits outside all the time. Left a large bird bomb on the hood for over a week about a month ago and hosed it off with no evidence of it being there. So it's tuff stuff for sure. Around $130 For coating, another $49 if ya wanna add Can Coat.

Great hard candy looks, really good self cleaning, economical, likely best value/performance at around $100 price point and above average longevity, very easy application: Kamikaze Miyabi + Overcoat. About $99 for 2 coats Miyabi, $50 For Overcoat.

Cost is no object, great deep look, remarkable self cleaning, great durability and resistance to marring, makes my life the easiest going forward: Kamikaze Miyabi + ISM + Infinity Wax + Overcoat. About $100 for 2 coats Miyabi, $139 For one coat ISM (only need 1/2 bottle for ISM layer, can use the rest as great black plastic trim, head/tail light, wiper arm coating) , $139 for enough Infinity for perhaps 6 applications, $50 For Overcoat.

It's really all a very personal thing and what works great on a daily driver in NE Ohio might not be the best choice for a daily driver in Phoenix, AZ. Or a show car in Miami, FL.

So, while there is likely no BEST, somewhere out there is probably a BEST FOR YOU coating...you just gotta find it.

A co-worker just bought a new white Ford F250 he wants polished and coated; given the budget, likely maint. and desire for good looks probably gonna go with Gyeon Mohs + Gyeon Can Coat. While I'm a big Kamikaze Junkie, the Gyeon combo will, IMO, work best FOR HIM. Good durability, good self cleaning, good resistance to environmental contamination, all for around $150 or so. Additionally he wants some pretty good gloss so the Can Coat wiil add to that as well as extending coating life a bit.

FWIW, the specifics of my search can be found in the first post if this thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-kamikaze.html

Now the above all related to consumer avaliable products...wanna get into Pro Only items, I got nuthin!

Good luck...

Last edited by BudgetPlan1; 08-07-2017 at 09:09 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by BudgetPlan1:
Lyn Go Fast (11-21-2017), ronkh57 (08-08-2017), walker3 (08-06-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 11:17 PM
joeybsyc
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 219 Posts

Whatever anyone's already got on their car is the best if you ask them. Whatever you put on your car will be the best when someone asks you. That's how it works. Oh and it's not limited to coatings... this also applies to anything from motor oil to floor mats.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:42 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 636 Likes on 342 Posts

BudgetPlan1 has it nailed perfectly. I can only add, that in my shop I have experimented... on my own cars several Ceramic products and found Ceramic Pro and Cquartz Finest to be the best out there. Both need to be professionally installed. The rest are up to the person putting the product on. While we all "know what we are doing" I have had some serious disasters of non-professional ceramic installs to know it is not for everyone. Correction was fairly expensive.
As he stated it depends on what you are looking for in a finish.
However, I lean to Ceramic Pro. Is it more expensive. you bet, but the results are beyond incredible.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:06 AM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 609 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by joeybsyc
Whatever anyone's already got on their car is the best if you ask them. Whatever you put on your car will be the best when someone asks you. That's how it works. Oh and it's not limited to coatings... this also applies to anything from motor oil to floor mats.
Only if you're myopic enough to not admit you were wrong.

I've had some on my cars that I definitely DID NOT think were the best. Gotta pony up and realize/admit 'Well, that didn't work out as I hoped..."

Last edited by BudgetPlan1; 08-07-2017 at 09:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ronkh57 (08-08-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 10:14 AM
Esoteric Detail
Supporting Vendor

Received 462 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by walker3
With so many out there now do we know what ceramic coating is the best:
I have been buying from Esoteric Car Care - first 22PLE, then Kamikaze and now they are saying to use MOHS? Then I read here and see what others are using.

so what is the best and easiest to put on?

your thoughts and comments are appreciated. - have a new daily driver that I want to coat and looking for something new - last time I purchased was 2015 so I know technology changes.
Hi Walker,

We aren't now saying use MOHS exclusively. It is one of the coatings in our lineup that we offer and like to use.

In a nutshell Kamikaze coatings are the easiest to use and offer the best results, but if a customer didn't want to step up in cost or wanted more durability MOHS would fit the bill.

We are constantly testing and evaluating coatings and will always offer the best products for the task.

(I am set to polish my daily driver and will be applying 2 coats of MOHS since it will offer the best long-term durability and hardness. Topped with Cancoat or Wetcoat. But... for the PPF topper Kamikaze overcoat!)

-- Ryan at ESOTERIC
HRE Wheels . Forgeline Wheels . BBS Wheels . Akrapovic Exhaust . Fabspeed Exhaust . KW Suspension

9801 Karmar Ct. New Albany, Ohio 43054
(614) 855-6855
Contact@esotericdetail.com
EsotericDetail.com
EsotericCarCare.com
ESOTERIC on YouTube
The following 2 users liked this post by Esoteric Detail:
ronkh57 (08-08-2017), walker3 (08-07-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 04:45 PM
walker3
Le Mans Master

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Esoteric Auto Detail
Hi Walker,

We aren't now saying use MOHS exclusively. It is one of the coatings in our lineup that we offer and like to use.

In a nutshell Kamikaze coatings are the easiest to use and offer the best results, but if a customer didn't want to step up in cost or wanted more durability MOHS would fit the bill.

We are constantly testing and evaluating coatings and will always offer the best products for the task.

(I am set to polish my daily driver and will be applying 2 coats of MOHS since it will offer the best long-term durability and hardness. Topped with Cancoat or Wetcoat. But... for the PPF topper Kamikaze overcoat!)

-- Ryan at ESOTERIC
Ryan, thanks for the clarification - now = any deals out there today for Kamikaze kits?
Old 08-08-2017, 08:31 AM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 220 Posts

My .02

Listen to Budget and Todd.....

But as a "topper" I am bonkers for Overcoat or Polish Angel high gloss or Viking spritz (if metallic paint)
The following 2 users liked this post by ronkh57:
BudgetPlan1 (08-08-2017), Esoteric Detail (08-24-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Ceramic Coating - what is the best

Quick Reply: Ceramic Coating - what is the best