Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

I tried Renovo Reviver on my Convertible Top

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 11:31 AM
Rich Silvestris
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default I tried Renovo Reviver on my Convertible Top

My '03's black cloth top had lighter areas that looked like sun bleached stretch marks, located mostly on the side panels behind the windows. The top was and still is in really good condition except for the light spots. I tried Ragtopp's cleaner and conditioner on the roof when I first got the car in 2010, but they did nothing to darken the lighter areas.
Recently I looked for a product to re-dye the top, and found only one, Renovo Reviver. I looked for reviews here on the forum and only found references to the product. I found no reviews here, and no reviews relevant to my issue on the web. I decided to go ahead and try it anyway.

I purchased Renovo's 3 products; cleaner, reviver and conditioner. I applied all according to the manufacturer's instructions. All work after the initial cleaning was done in my garage under controlled conditions.

In the end, I applied two full coats of the reviver (dye) and a third coat along the side panels only, in an attempt to fully eradicate the light spots. The results are generally pleasing, but the light spots are not totally eradicated. Before I applied the third coat to the sides, I contacted Renovo customer service and asked if there was something else I should be doing to the surface to help get rid of the spots.

Renovo replied that the marks are the result of the top material rubbing together when it is folded. They suggested making sure the top is completely clean before folding it to keep dirt from grinding away at the fabric. In short, though, they suggested no other process step to get rid of the marks once they are there. I went ahead and completed the work, including application of the conditioner.

I agree with Renovo's assessment on the nature of the marks. I noticed when I applied the reviver and the conditioner that these areas were shinier than the surrounding cloth when wet, so obviously their surface is smoother

The top is now a richer black, and the marks, while significantly muted, are still visible. They are more visible when the car is in the garage than when it is outside in sunlight. I think that light reflected by the smoother surface is what I am seeing. Outside, with light all around, the rest of the top appears as bright (?).

The product itself was easy to use, and some of my concerns were not realized: Despite application with a paintbrush, there were no brush marks. And the dye did not impart a shiny look to the top. It is a rich matte black.

See before, in progress, and after pics below. Note the difference between the in-garage after pic (2nd from last) and the outdoor after pic (last)
Attached Images      

Last edited by Rich Silvestris; 07-31-2016 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Posted Pics
The following 2 users liked this post by Rich Silvestris:
Al D (06-17-2016), dvilin (06-20-2016)

Quick Reply: I tried Renovo Reviver on my Convertible Top