Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Easy way to apply tire dressing.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 10:13 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Easy way to apply tire dressing.

Here's a neat and easy way to apply tire dressing. Get one of those wonder wand deals that you fill with dishwashing soap for hand doing the dishes. Now, fill it with your favorite tire dressing (Zaino, in my case) and simply apply the wand to your tires. Using this method, you eliminate over spray and keep the dressing on the tires and off the rims.

To take it even one step further, I also filled one of the wonder wands with car washing soap (Z7) and I use it to clean the rims during car washes.

Give it a try. :cheers:
Old 09-04-2002, 10:34 PM
Silver2002
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Easy way to apply tire dressing. (98-C5)

I put an old top from a used bottle of Z6 on my Z16 bottle and spray a couple shots on a cotton applicator and apply it to my tires that way. I have also seen people have good lick with squirting the Z16 on Eagle 1 tire swipes and applying it that way. Eaither way is pretty cheap, easy, and produce excellent results.
Old 09-05-2002, 11:25 AM
jlfrogy
Pro

The wonder wand is a great idea. Thanks i'll give it a try. :boxing
Old 09-05-2002, 01:07 PM
jerryv
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I use a small, old sponge .. about 3x5".
Old 09-05-2002, 05:00 PM
Corvette0096
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is a better way. $2.25 with small sample of tire dressing. You get two of them in a pack. Zip lock baggy for storage..
Old 09-05-2002, 05:12 PM
BadBoy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Easy way to apply tire dressing. (corvette0096)

Here is a better way. $2.25 with small sample of tire dressing. You get two of them in a pack. Zip lock baggy for storage..
This is the way I currently do my tire, but I'm give the wonder wand a try.
Looks like a great idea.
Old 09-05-2002, 06:27 PM
Andy1983
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Easy way to apply tire dressing. (corvette0096)

I have also seen people have good lick with squirting the Z16 on Eagle 1 tire swipes and applying it that way. Eaither way is pretty cheap, easy, and produce excellent results.
I have constantly raved about Eagle 1 Tire Swipes. $2 for 2 of them, and they last a long time, make your coats perfectly even, and extend the life of the Z-16 bottle by ALOT (it lasts MUCH longer). If you try them, you wont go to anything else.

:cheers: ,
Andy
Old 09-05-2002, 11:14 PM
rcws6
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Easy way to apply tire dressing. (Andy1983)

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have also seen people have good lick with squirting the Z16 on Eagle 1 tire swipes and applying it that way. Eaither way is pretty cheap, easy, and produce excellent results.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

I have constantly raved about Eagle 1 Tire Swipes. $2 for 2 of them, and they last a long time, make your coats perfectly even, and extend the life of the Z-16 bottle by ALOT (it lasts MUCH longer). If you try them, you wont go to anything else.

Andy
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I personally don't like them ($.02). I have a set and every time I've used them they have done an okay job but seem to cover more than I want them to with dressing. They still end up getting on your rims a little. They work really well with truck or suv tires do to their size.
:yesnod:
Old 09-06-2002, 02:15 AM
Corvettedon
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Easy way to apply tire dressing. (rcws6)

I take one of those blue Scotch Shop Towels and I fold into a square. I spray enough Z16 on it to almost saturate it. Then, I make it just the right size to do one tire; I unfold it, and do another tire; turn it over and fold it again, do a third tire, and then unfold it for the final tire. Each tire gets a clean spot on the towel this way and you are not spreading the dirt from one tire to the next.

BTW, I tried the little sponge thingy from my grocery store once and I must have gotten a cheap one because the stuff ran through the sponge like water. It's a nice idea, but I couldn't get it to work for me. I really like my Scotch Towels though; I use them for lots of things. I can even wash them and use them for simple stuff like checking the oil, etc... (Did I mention that I was a cheap bast....?) :D
Old 09-06-2002, 11:22 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Re: Easy way to apply tire dressing. (Corvettedon)

Corvettedon........Try the Rubbermaid spongy thingy. It has a lever that you squeeze to dispense the fluid. I bought it at my local hardware store for, like, $2.59.

The brand of tire dressing that you're using might also make a difference. Zaino, for example, looks like and has the consistency of 2% milk. If you’re using something "thinner," I could see it "running" through the sponge.
Old 09-19-2002, 01:45 PM
pburant
Burning Brakes

I give the tires a good soaking (I can't recall which brand tire dressing I have, but it's one of the super wet/shiny ones) before washing. I let it soak in for awhile and then wash the car. Of course, I have a washing mitt dedicated for doing wheels/tires. After I dry the car, I wipe down each tire with a cotton cloth and I end up with an extremely even, dark black, but not shiny tire. I do this only once or twice a year. The rest of the time I just use the same cotton cloth and the tires look great every time. My bottle of tire dressing is going to last for years.....

The beauty of this method is that I never have to worry about tire dressing on the rims - any overspray is eliminated during the wash.....
Old 09-20-2002, 01:42 PM
Stingray1967
Race Director

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Interesting thought there Tom! Hey, you comin' this weekend? Saturday at the Conoco. Check out Great Lakes for details. :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To Easy way to apply tire dressing.

Quick Reply: Easy way to apply tire dressing.