Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

black chrome rim care

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 12:48 PM
BlueDevilZ51
Melting Slicks

Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts

Default black chrome rim care

I was told to use water soap and carnauba wax for general cleaning..I was also told not to use chrome polishes.... anything work for light swirls?

Last edited by BlueDevilZ51; 03-03-2016 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:10 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueDevilZ51
I was told to use water soap and carnauba wax for general cleaning..I was also told not to use chrome polishes.... anything work for light swirls?
Traditional chrome is almost impossible to truly polish out swirls ... I would not waste the time without professional help. See below for hints on black chrome.

I would use one of the safest wheel cleaners personally, P21S. Or soap and water as possible.

Carnauba wax cannot handle the high heat wheels develop and thus wont last very long. It also doesn't offer any real cleaning ability. You will likely find wheel coatings and sealants will work fine. When in doubt try a very small area outside of eyes view. For instance, I used Gtechniqs Wheel Armor (coating) on my uncoated wheels and was amazed at the long term protection and great looks. These are wheels that are typically susceptible to damage from any number of ingredients.

Last edited by Killrwheels@Autogeek; 03-04-2016 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:34 PM
Jim D.
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Black chrome is most commonly PVD.

Keep in mind that black chrome is not true chrome plate, but the process called "physical vapor deposition" or sometimes branded "PermaChrome" or another such name for the same basic PVD process.

Black glossy wheels are also often PVD.

PVD is basically a high-tech paint process with a clear coat.

Google PVD and Chrome for more info.

Do not use a traditional chrome wheel cleaner or chrome polish -- unless you want to risk damage to the finish.

That said, one PVD company uses and recommends our California Gold Scratch Remover to address finish issues, and I'd suggest to follow with our California Gold Synthetic Wax (Synthetic Wax resists higher temperatures, though it's debatable how hot a wheel actually gets). If you have similar products of any brand in your cabinet to address body paint, certainly try them.

Yes, it is likely to be some work, but much like body paint correction, it can be done.

Jim D.
Tech Support
Mothers Polishes-Waxes-Cleaners
www.mothers.com

Last edited by Jim D.; 03-04-2016 at 05:35 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To black chrome rim care

Quick Reply: black chrome rim care