Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Glaze

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 04:23 PM
retaf87
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Glaze

What does using a glaze actually do? Does it make the paint "pop" more or ? Also - is it better to use it over wax or under wax? I have a bottle I purchased from Adams and it says to use it over the wax but other products say to wax over it.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:53 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

Glaze helps increase depth and gloss with some having "fillers" that will help hide imperfections in the paint.

Typically you use glaze in between your polish and seal/wax steps.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:25 PM
0Surf City Garage
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glazes are purely for temporary aesthetic enhancement.

They'll help fill imperfections and add a 'waxed' look to a surface, but they'll evaporate quickly and wash off easily.

Due to their 'temporary' nature its best to wax over the top of them.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:30 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Homer3D
Glaze helps increase depth and gloss with some having "fillers" that will help hide imperfections in the paint.

Typically you use glaze in between your polish and seal/wax steps.

Glaze (remember the term is used loosely so measure each product separately) is typically a product used in the past to increase wetness and fill in swirls and marring. It is indeed temporary and has no protection.

Now we offer a glaze, Wolfgang's Finishing Glaze, which is actually a finishing polish. It doesn't have any protection and helps to amp up gloss and reflection. It does however have some abrasives whereas a typical glaze like Megs Show Car Glaze has no polishing agents. Again, the terms are used loosely in car care and often to make a product stand out against its peers.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:28 AM
Merlinii
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My favorite Glaze was Denase Wet Glaze 2.0. There were no abrasives in Wet Glaze 2.0 and it had a very slick deep reflection.

It was a acrylic polymer WOWO glaze that could be layered. It was formulated for increased depth, gloss, and dripping wet reflections!

Wet Glaze 2.0 was made with acrylic polymers that formed a very strong bond to the vehicles surface so it would not wash away like other glazes.
The polymers also allowed Wet Glaze 2.0 to do something that you can't even think about doing with other glazes,
it could be topped with a wax or sealant without any bonding or application issues and it had minimal fillers.

By itself on top it could last months

I miss it.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:06 AM
xlr8rvette
Drifting

Location: Fayetteville Arkansas recently moved from Oakland Ca
Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I, too, use Adams Brilliant Glaze. Have for years. It is my favorite go to product and definitely adds "pop". I put it over the polish / wax. Also works well on glass
Old 08-15-2014, 04:16 PM
retaf87
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I appreciate the responses! One final question: Does Adams Brilliant Glaze contain abrasives?
Old 08-16-2014, 09:35 AM
CheckeredFlag
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Another Wet Glaze fan right here ... cherishing my last bottle ...

I've used Pinnacle XMT Carnauba finishing glaze, it's non abrasive and works just fine

I've heard Chemical Guys makes a good glaze called "Glossworkz", but I don't have any personal experience with it ( ... yet)

Poorboy's has a nice product that works excellent (IMO) with darker painted vehicles, and that stuff is called Black Hole Glaze, but I'm not sure if it has any abrasives in it or not
Old 08-16-2014, 05:07 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

http://www.autogeek.net/glazes.html

Let us know what your planning to do and how you want to use it, and perhaps we can help more. Here's several glazes and the ones from Chemical Guys and Poorboy's appear to be sealant compatible also.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:35 PM
0Surf City Garage
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by retaf87
I appreciate the responses! One final question: Does Adams Brilliant Glaze contain abrasives?
I can't / won't comment on the specific product mentioned, but any true glaze won't have abrasives. The second it starts to contain abrasives you're dealing more with a polish than a glaze.

The terms are loosely defined and not governed by any "rules" so theres cases where some companies call their sealant a 'polish' or other misnomers, but if sticking to the true definitions a glaze is abrasive free.

If you're looking for a quick, easy, and glossy glaze product our SPRAY GLAZE is awesome and take an additional 10% off with the forum code: CORVETTE
Old 08-20-2014, 10:23 AM
Merlinii
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Surf City Garage
...any true glaze won't have abrasives.
+1 Agreed!
Old 08-20-2014, 10:28 AM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by retaf87
Nope, Brilliant Glaze is non-abrasive.

If you are looking for something with abrasives, look into a polish for fixing swirls/scratches. After that, use the glaze to hide any minor damage that's left over and to add more gloss/depth to the paint.

Brilliant Glaze is my favorite product in our lineup, it's shine in a bottle!
Old 08-20-2014, 05:43 PM
yamabob
Drifting

Received 743 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Merlinii
My favorite Glaze was Denase Wet Glaze 2.0. There were no abrasives in Wet Glaze 2.0 and it had a very slick deep reflection.

It was a acrylic polymer WOWO glaze that could be layered. It was formulated for increased depth, gloss, and dripping wet reflections!

Wet Glaze 2.0 was made with acrylic polymers that formed a very strong bond to the vehicles surface so it would not wash away like other glazes.
The polymers also allowed Wet Glaze 2.0 to do something that you can't even think about doing with other glazes,
it could be topped with a wax or sealant without any bonding or application issues and it had minimal fillers.

By itself on top it could last months

I miss it.
I bought the last 12 bottles of it. Truly an awesome product. I apply under my Blackfire and it makes the paint so dimensional.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:23 PM
ZZZZZZ
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Whats the difference between #9 swirl remover and glaze?
Old 08-27-2014, 07:07 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ZZZZZZ
Whats the difference between #9 swirl remover and glaze?
#9 has cleaners in it as well as some filling ability. Show Car Glaze is their 100% glaze. No protection, just fillers.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:34 PM
retaf87
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I finally got around to using the Adams Brilliant Glaze and car is now so shiny glasses are needed to look at it in the sunlight! Thanks for all the tips.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:54 AM
CheckeredFlag
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I just remembered, I have some Wolfgang Glaze out the in the garage as well.

That's good stuff too, for the record !

Get notified of new replies

To Glaze

Quick Reply: Glaze