Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Polish with Rejex twice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 08:07 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Default Polish with Rejex twice?

Just finished my first application with Rejex...man what a shine! Earlier today I washed my Vette with Dawn and looks like it's paying off. My question is this:

What benefit is there to applying a second layer of Rejex tomorrow, after the first layer cures? Can it get any shinier? Or is it just in case I may have missed a spot? Will it last longer and offer better protection against the elements out there?

Or is it a ploy by the makers of Rejex to get us to just use more product?

Thanks for your responses.....
Old 08-13-2014, 09:29 AM
SouthBaySurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Many people apply multiple coats of Rejex(or Zaino or any polymer). I don't think it makes the finish shine more, but it may add depth to it. I do at least two coats, mainly to cover any spots I may have missed the first time. Try it, and decide for yourself.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:02 PM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I have found the more layers of RejeX that are applied, the wetter and deeper the shine.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:43 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NDMIKE88
I have found the more layers of RejeX that are applied, the wetter and deeper the shine.
Thanks, Mike.

I just now finished applying layer #2 and I can't believe the shine it produced. Can't wait to take it out tomorrow after it 'cures'....
Old 08-13-2014, 10:50 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 338 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Racer
Thanks, Mike.

I just now finished applying layer #2 and I can't believe the shine it produced. Can't wait to take it out tomorrow after it 'cures'....
Joe,

Just wax your car once a week and you'll never have to worry about a second coat........

Best.......Karl
Old 08-14-2014, 06:35 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Racer
Just finished my first application with Rejex...man what a shine! Earlier today I washed my Vette with Dawn and looks like it's paying off. My question is this:

What benefit is there to applying a second layer of Rejex tomorrow, after the first layer cures? Can it get any shinier? Or is it just in case I may have missed a spot? Will it last longer and offer better protection against the elements out there?

Or is it a ploy by the makers of Rejex to get us to just use more product?

Thanks for your responses.....
Rejex can be layered and as offered needs to fully cure before a second application is made. It is often done more for complete coverage. There is a point of diminished return with any product adding 3 or applications, its usually wasted product.

As for Dawn .... leave it in the kitchen. It was never designed for car care and there is no proof that it removes all of a traditional wax, and certainly not a well cured synthetic wax (sealant). There are paint cleaners and polishes to help remove old product and prep the surface for Rejex.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:47 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek

As for Dawn .... leave it in the kitchen. It was never designed for car care and there is no proof that it removes all of a traditional wax, and certainly not a well cured synthetic wax (sealant). There are paint cleaners and polishes to help remove old product and prep the surface for Rejex.

I'll keep that in mind for next time.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:03 AM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

While I'm not doubting the experts I doubt if washing your vehicle in Dawn will harm the paint. I mean we are talking about a one time deal, not every time you wash it.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:19 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by NDMIKE88
While I'm not doubting the experts I doubt if washing your vehicle in Dawn will harm the paint. I mean we are talking about a one time deal, not every time you wash it.
Dawn will not likely harm your paint when used 1-2-3 times, perhaps more. It doesn't work however... There are correct options to remove wax, sealants, and other items and unfortunately its not just dishwashing liquid. It simply removes some oils and stops beading temporarily on some surfaces. Synthetic waxes that bond with paint (like Rejex) once cured are basically immune to it under a general wash.

What I have personally noted with individuals using dishwashing liquid on a normal basis. Often times their black plastic trim appears faded or discolored. I have also seen weather-stripping that is dried out, discolored, and in need of rejuvenation. I have not seen it as notable when using a good safe car wash when needed so quickly. This might also be attributed to someone that uses specialty products in each area for best outcome and measure these areas also.

If you prefer to use Dawn and find it works in your environment, then good luck. We are not here to fight, but offer better options that meet the needs of our clients.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:21 PM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Dawn will not likely harm your paint when used 1-2-3 times, perhaps more. It doesn't work however... There are correct options to remove wax, sealants, and other items and unfortunately its not just dishwashing liquid. It simply removes some oils and stops beading temporarily on some surfaces. Synthetic waxes that bond with paint (like Rejex) once cured are basically immune to it under a general wash.

What I have personally noted with individuals using dishwashing liquid on a normal basis. Often times their black plastic trim appears faded or discolored. I have also seen weather-stripping that is dried out, discolored, and in need of rejuvenation. I have not seen it as notable when using a good safe car wash when needed so quickly. This might also be attributed to someone that uses specialty products in each area for best outcome and measure these areas also.

If you prefer to use Dawn and find it works in your environment, then good luck. We are not here to fight, but offer better options that meet the needs of our clients.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:33 PM
mike5511
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A couple of questions for the expert:

1.So what is a good product to use to remove wax etc?

2. Can you use polish then Rejex, or a similar product, over the polish?
Old 09-15-2014, 05:37 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mike5511
A couple of questions for the expert:

1.So what is a good product to use to remove wax etc?

2. Can you use polish then Rejex, or a similar product, over the polish?
You can use a paint cleansing lotion or polish. There are commercial strippers (Acyrosol etc...) that also could be used. Paint cleaners are best used on good paint, and polishes on paints that need correction.

Rejex is a paint sealant and bonds to paint. It should be applied on a clean fresh surface without appreciable oils. If you feel your polishes or last product was oily or had silicones, you can often wipe with an alcohol/water mix also. With a little care, your sealant will lasts for many months and provide those great looks after each car wash.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:36 PM
yamabob
Drifting

Received 742 Likes on 470 Posts

In between it's nice to freshen up with something in the lines of Blackfire Wet Diamond Polymer Sealant or Chemical Guys V7. .It will add a little "pop" back and seems to prolong the longevity
Old 09-17-2014, 06:51 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by yamabob
In between it's nice to freshen up with something in the lines of Blackfire Wet Diamond Polymer Sealant or Chemical Guys V7. .It will add a little "pop" back and seems to prolong the longevity
I'll share with you a little hidden gem I started using over sealants .... but don't kill me if you fall in love with the looks and crazy beading too.

http://www.autogeek.net/prima-hydro-max.html
Old 09-17-2014, 10:34 PM
mike5511
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can use a paint cleansing lotion or polish. There are commercial strippers (Acyrosol etc...) that also could be used. Paint cleaners are best used on good paint, and polishes on paints that need correction.

Rejex is a paint sealant and bonds to paint. It should be applied on a clean fresh surface without appreciable oils. If you feel your polishes or last product was oily or had silicones, you can often wipe with an alcohol/water mix also. With a little care, your sealant will lasts for many months and provide those great looks after each car wash.
Does McGuiars Ultimate Polish have anything in it that cause Rejex to not work as good? That is what I currently have on hand.

I'll share with you a little hidden gem I started using over sealants .... but don't kill me if you fall in love with the looks and crazy beading too.

Might have to try some of that. I'm all about easy!! Got anything to keep it from raining the day after you use all these high dollar products??
Old 09-18-2014, 06:19 AM
yamabob
Drifting

Received 742 Likes on 470 Posts

i chuckle. thanks! i've used the Slick before-how would you compare the two and Hydro or Hydro Max. I need to order some things as I'm low on V7 .
OP -sorry to hijack
Old 09-18-2014, 06:22 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mike5511
Does McGuiars Ultimate Polish have anything in it that cause Rejex to not work as good? That is what I currently have on hand.

Might have to try some of that. I'm all about easy!! Got anything to keep it from raining the day after you use all these high dollar products??
I don't think you should see any issues, its a great polish. I might suggest a quick wipe down with alcohol/water mixture or quick light wash. It will remove any oils or agents still on paint. Sealants love fresh paint as they bond versus sitting on top of the finish.

I wash my three cars weekly every Saturday or Sunday morning. Living in South Florida I have not had a clean car for more than a couple hours. This rain is crazy !!!

Originally Posted by yamabob
i chuckle. thanks! i've used the Slick before-how would you compare the two and Hydro or Hydro Max. I need to order some things as I'm low on V7 .
OP -sorry to hijack
Slick .... my wife loves that product and scent. Hydro Max looks better, has no cleaning ability at all, and unfortunately does not have as nice a scent. (not a big issue) The gloss is slick on steroids. The beading is crazy also ....

Get notified of new replies

To Polish with Rejex twice?

Quick Reply: Polish with Rejex twice?