Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

California duster...........

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 09:29 AM
jack5hd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California duster...........

If your car is dusty and using a duster to remove dust doesn't it scratch the paint?
Old 08-09-2014, 09:43 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

There's not an easy answer, but yes it could. The strands on the duster have paraffin wax to trap the dust. What if sand got trapped in there instead ??? As with most products you should measure the environment and the finish before making the choice.

I find that a good thick MF towel and a spritz or two of a rinseless or waterless wash usually works best for in-between wash sessions. If you have a bottle made up in advance, it ready to go too.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:45 PM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 400 Likes on 281 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Remember when you use the CD you don't rub it on the paint with any pressure. Just let it glide across the surface.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:49 PM
rsparks64
Drifting

Received 278 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by NDMIKE88
Remember when you use the CD you don't rub it on the paint with any pressure. Just let it glide across the surface.
what he said
Old 08-12-2014, 12:58 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
I find that a good thick MF towel and a spritz or two of a rinseless or waterless wash usually works best for in-between wash sessions. If you have a bottle made up in advance, it ready to go too.
Bingo!

Introducing liquid to the surface is the absolute safest way to remove light dirt/dust without risking damage.

While a duster may seem like a quick and easy way to clean up your paint, what you are doing is dragging those tiny dust particles (which are essentially microscopic razor blades) around on the surface creating damage.

A Waterless or Rinseless Wash are your safest choices in this situation.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:12 PM
Xtremespeed
Burning Brakes

Location: The only state to ever kick another country's ass! TEXAS
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I always use a waterless wash to clean the car when it looks dusty, except when the car has just sat and I know for sure it's just light dust from the air. That's when I use a California Duster. I also drag it very lightly across the surface with it barely touching. I don't let the weight of the duster push on the car. The idea is to let the paraffin wax attract the dust away from the surface kind of like a magnet.

Last edited by Xtremespeed; 08-17-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:39 PM
radbluesfan
Instructor

I use my duster for a weeks, maybe two weeks, worth of garage dust on my garage queen. Any more than that and I will just wait for a regular wash. I would not use it on my car if it was left sitting outside for an extended amount of time as you never know what may be on the surface. Hell, even when I think my car is dirty it is still the cleanest car in my neighborhood anyway.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:30 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by radbluesfan
Hell, even when I think my car is dirty it is still the cleanest car in my neighborhood anyway.
you get those goofy looks from your neighbors as well, dont you!
Old 08-21-2014, 06:26 PM
radbluesfan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Maligator
you get those goofy looks from your neighbors as well, dont you!
Between the microfiber rags in a rubbermaid that is inside of another rubbermaid, the foam gun, the wheel and fender brushes, and the leaf blower.....I'm sure they all think I am nuts. I like to think of those goofy looks as looks of pure envy and jealousy. They will never know what they are missing!
Old 08-21-2014, 08:58 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by radbluesfan
Between the microfiber rags in a rubbermaid that is inside of another rubbermaid, the foam gun, the wheel and fender brushes, and the leaf blower.....I'm sure they all think I am nuts. I like to think of those goofy looks as looks of pure envy and jealousy. They will never know what they are missing!
Hilarious! Im exactly the same! Except I use compressed air from my compressor! Im known as the "guy who cleans his cars too much". Between the vet, my wifes car and my squad, im always cleaning something. Someone yelled "freak!" at me the other day because I had the vet up on jackstands wiping the undercarriage...............and changing the diff fluid. Haters I tell ya!!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To California duster...........

Quick Reply: California duster...........