Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Looking for a product that will clean/condition leather without changing the color

Old 08-07-2014, 09:47 AM
ghostmech
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Looking for a product that will clean/condition leather without changing the color

...I hate using leather products that change the hue or color level of the seats. I have used Meguiar's interior cleaner that does a good job of maintaining the same color but it does nothing to condition the leather. Any suggestions?
Old 08-07-2014, 12:32 PM
Mysticine
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used Zaino's Leather in a Bottle as well as Adam's Leather/Interior Cleaner + Leather Conditioner. I never noticed any color changing with either on my '02 or '06 Z06.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:02 PM
slapshot12
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

I use Zaino's leather cleaner and the conditioner. They work great on all leather I've ever tried it on. The conditioner keeps the leather soft and has a great leather smell.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:31 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

I clean with heavily diluted simple green and a boars hair brush. For conditioning I like auto finesse's products. I can't speak on color change as every car I have used it on to date has had black leather.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:20 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 338 Likes on 211 Posts

Lemon Pledge............!!!!
Old 08-07-2014, 08:30 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

The leather in a Vette is coated (finished) and this it has a coating to protect it. You can keep it up simply by using a lightly damp towel when needed. Most products simply make the seats slippery. I have found that LeatherMasters makes a notable difference and was designed for coated leathers. Never noted a difference in color except when first applying it, once dried it looks natural and feels great.

http://www.autogeek.net/leather-master-auto-care.html
Old 08-08-2014, 11:52 AM
ghostmech
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the product recommendations! Since I've ordered from the Geeks before, I'll probably try Leathermasters first and keep Zaino as a b/u plan.
Ghost
Old 08-10-2014, 09:21 AM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
The leather in a Vette is coated (finished) and this it has a coating to protect it. You can keep it up simply by using a lightly damp towel when needed. Most products simply make the seats slippery.
Yep….

Woolite and water (10 parts water to one part Woolite) is an excellent mild cleaner that will remove the dirt and sweat that will accumulate on the seats. Keeping them clean will keep the cracking down to a minimum...
Old 08-18-2014, 10:36 PM
The Clevite Kid
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'17,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

The leather in a Vette is coated (finished) and this it has a coating to protect it. You can keep it up simply by using a lightly damp towel when needed. Most products simply make the seats slippery. I have found that LeatherMasters makes a notable difference and was designed for coated leathers. Never noted a difference in color except when first applying it, once dried it looks natural and feels great.

Thank you for the recommendation, but, WHICH ONE for C6 coated leather ? ? ? ? ?
Old 08-19-2014, 12:31 PM
radbluesfan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Zaino because it works and I like the leather smell. Good luck.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:58 PM
Spark 2
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

You once told me that Einszett Leather Care was the best for finished leather?

I once told you that I didn't like Einszett because it left residue in the
perforated leather?

Has your opinion changed?
Old 08-22-2014, 11:01 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by The Clevite Kid
Thank you for the recommendation, but, WHICH ONE for C6 coated leather ? ? ? ? ?

http://www.autogeek.net/leather-protection-cream.html

Originally Posted by Spark 2
You once told me that Einszett Leather Care was the best for finished leather?

I once told you that I didn't like Einszett because it left residue in the
perforated leather?

Has your opinion changed?
Einszett does also make a Leather Care product for finished leather. I used it for several years before moving to LeatherMasters.

When applying any leather protectant on perforated leather, you should not apply directly to the area with small holes. You should apply on the towel or applicator, use on the solid parts and then lightly wipe the perforated leather. Almost any cleaner could clog or block the area if applied to thick or directly.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:52 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

zaino z10... no buffing required and added leather scent .
Old 08-27-2014, 04:12 PM
GoFast908Z
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Perfectly said.

Conditioning GM seats is essentially pointless, unless you like wearing leather conditioner on your clothes.

I always chuckle when I see another detailer talk about conditioning leather seats that I know are coated and can not absorb leather conditioner.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:13 PM
cegusa
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
zaino z10... no buffing required and added leather scent .
This. Apply at the end of the day, let it sit overnight and your good to go. No buffing off required. Although the seats are sealed, the added scent is wonderful. I even do my office chair it smells soooo good!
Old 09-27-2014, 11:26 PM
Rob4092xx
Drifting

Received 295 Likes on 108 Posts

GoFast is 10000000000000% dead-on correct! All GM leather is urethane coated. In fact, the side bolsters are actually vinyl! Yes, vinyl! This is why the spray colored urethane on the leather sections of the seat is the same urethane they spray on the vinyl sections. If they didn't use this urethane paint, they could never get the leather and vinyl sections of the seats to match.

Auto leather seats are not called "leather seats." Take a look at your original invoice. They are called "leather trimmed." This means the only portion of the seats that are actual leather are the center inserts on the lower seat cushion and back cushion. Everything else on the seats is VINYL!!!!! Don't believe me? Look under your seat and pull up a loose section of the "leather." Look at the back of the "leather." You will see it is actually VINYL!

Urethane coated leather cannot soak up anything...anything! Conditioners are a waste and actually harm your seat by trapping dirt on the conditioner oils. Then your clothes rub against this fine coat of dirt/oil and like sandpaper, ruins your seats!

Try this.....put on water drop on your seat. Put it anywhere you want and watch. It never soaks in! It just sits there till it dries! Why, because nothing can soak through the vinyl sections or urethane coated leather sections.

DO NOT WASTE MONEY ON LEATHER CONDTIONERS OR CLEANERS....PERIOD! They do much more harm than good. This goes for 303 as well!

Use a clean, damp towel and wipe them down occasionally. This will get 99% of body oils, dirt, etc. Use 10:1 Woolite if you need a little more cleaning and then wipe this off with a damp towel.

That is it folks....nothing more for your leather seats! In the past ten years I have owned two Hummers, one Lambo Gallardo, one Ferrari 360, three NSX's and three Corvettes, all with leather. I used the above methods and never, ever had any wear on any of my leather seats!!!

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
Perfectly said.

Conditioning GM seats is essentially pointless, unless you like wearing leather conditioner on your clothes.

I always chuckle when I see another detailer talk about conditioning leather seats that I know are coated and can not absorb leather conditioner.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:18 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

ZAINO Z9 and Z10. I even keet the saturated rag under the drivers seat it smells so good.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for a product that will clean/condition leather without changing the color

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for a product that will clean/condition leather without changing the color