Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

If you needed yet another reason to avoid drive-thru car washes...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 12:02 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17
Default If you needed yet another reason to avoid drive-thru car washes...

Just a quick backstory:

Had to run to the local home improvement store this past weekend. Stopped to get gas when I was leaving, and the station had one of the drive-thru washes that so many of them have. As I filled up and was driving away, I couldn't help but notice the somewhat startling condition of the brushes in the wash bay:

Of course, the first thought that crossed my mind, and I'm sure the same as all of you, was "STAY AWAY!!!"

However, I have some prototype goods at home that need some testing. Because of this, I made a sacrifice for the greater good, and $8, much gnashing of teeth, and about 90 seconds of tears later, here is what my paint looked like in the bright sun later that day:

And the following morning in different light:

In the interest of full disclosure, my paint was not perfect before hand, but I'd say 95%+. Since the last correction, I've done 2 2-bucket washes and 3 Rinseless Washes on it. Being black, there was a light amount of wash damage that could be seen. However, the amount of damage that this single wash inflicted upon it was pretty shocking, wouldn't you agree?!?
Old 07-24-2014, 01:14 PM
RottenII
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I've changed a lot of my car care habits since joining this forum. Included in that is NOT using a car wash anymore.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:43 PM
envyz06
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yikes, brave man!
Old 07-24-2014, 04:20 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RottenII
I've changed a lot of my car care habits since joining this forum. Included in that is NOT using a car wash anymore.
Nice choice, grasshopper.

Originally Posted by envyz06
yikes, brave man!
Taking one for the team, so to speak.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:06 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

These days I have been using those self-service car wash places. I know the rules say “no buckets” but I still bring mine anyways because I will not let that soapy push broom looking thing touch my paint. I purposely go when during off peak hours so I don’t hold anyone up or annoy someone because I am using my bucket/wash mitt. There are 4 bays at the place I go to, and I am almost always the only person there during the times I go.

Here in California and the current drought conditions, we are not allowed to wash our cars in our driveways or you might get a fine ($500) for wasting water. So the self-service car wash is a good alternative.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:53 AM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Homer3D
These days I have been using those self-service car wash places. I know the rules say “no buckets” but I still bring mine anyways because I will not let that soapy push broom looking thing touch my paint. I purposely go when during off peak hours so I don’t hold anyone up or annoy someone because I am using my bucket/wash mitt. There are 4 bays at the place I go to, and I am almost always the only person there during the times I go.

Here in California and the current drought conditions, we are not allowed to wash our cars in our driveways or you might get a fine ($500) for wasting water. So the self-service car wash is a good alternative.
That's a PERFECT option! Use their high pressure (and hopefully filtered) water, and your wash materials.

That's a great recipe for success!
Old 07-25-2014, 01:09 PM
N227GB
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'19-'20,'23

Originally Posted by Nick@Adams
As I filled up and was driving away, I couldn't help but notice the somewhat startling condition of the brushes in the wash bay:

Did someone run an asphalt paver through there?
Old 07-25-2014, 06:22 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Yes stay away from the automatic car washes. I learned my lesson with my 13 tacoma TRD. I paid $8 for the car wash to scratch my truck down both sides. I had to literally argue with the manager to get them to take the blame. In the end they paid to have my truck buffed and detailed. They tried saying it was like that and the scratches couldn't have come from their car wash. Yeah right!
Old 07-27-2014, 11:21 PM
Racinfan83
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run my DD's through the one here - they keep their stuff in pretty good shape. My Vette will never see one though. Shoot I've had it over a year and never washed it period. Wipe the dust off and good to go...
Old 07-28-2014, 09:27 AM
jerryv
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The only car wash I'll use .. and only on rare occasions .. is touchless .. where absolutely nothing but water or air touches the car. Drive in, get sprayed, get rinsed, get air-dried. No brushes, no straps, no teenagers with dirty rags .. nothing at all touches the car.

If anything touches the car it'll screw it up .. virtually guaranteed.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:58 AM
Merlinii
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sadly, even the touchless has it's issues with the chemical/soaps used etc.

IMHO The best way is a little shade and the DIY Two Bucket Method
In the time it takes just to drive to and from the "car wash" I can be done.

Do you want to be next in line at the "car wash" right behind this guy?

Get notified of new replies

To If you needed yet another reason to avoid drive-thru car washes...

Quick Reply: If you needed yet another reason to avoid drive-thru car washes...