Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Water spotting, possibly on newer paint

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 08:50 PM
jehanson
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water spotting, possibly on newer paint

Hello all,

This is my first post on this forum so I apologize in advance for my ignorance

At the end of May of this year I purchased a 2004 C5 in Torch Red. The car has been fabulous and is fulfilling a life long dream.

Recently I washed the car and after a few days, noticed water spots on the car - both paint and glass. I am looking for opinions on how to remove the water spots. Note: when I bought the car there were no stone chips in the front end, I'm not sure if this is normal for corvettes being as low as they are, if not, then the original owner or the dealer may have painted the front. The car has 27000 miles and it looks like who ever owned it treated it very well. I have read many posts but since I am uncertainty about the age of the paint, I am reluctant to charge ahead without a few opinions. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,
John
Old 07-23-2014, 01:32 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

You can try a clay bar on both the paint and the glass, we have had limited success with tougher spots. On the glass you can also use 0000 steel wool.
Check around your area for a detail supply shop and they should carry a commercial water spot remover. Megiuars also has a water spot remover for the retail market(means it is pretty safe in the hands of the uninitiated, but may not be strong enough)
On the tougher spots we use a commercial water spot remover with a very high level of success. If the water spots have etched the paint, which can happen, buffing is the answer.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:24 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1
If the water spots have etched the paint, which can happen, buffing is the answer.
We have hard water containing minerals. I always try to wash my cars out of the sun. I blow and dry them as soon as I wash them. Unknowingly my wife rinsed her car off after a rain storm and left it outside to dry. Water spots to the max.

I see a complete detail job in my immediate future as the spots are on for good until then.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:32 AM
jehanson
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1
You can try a clay bar on both the paint and the glass, we have had limited success with tougher spots. On the glass you can also use 0000 steel wool.
Check around your area for a detail supply shop and they should carry a commercial water spot remover. Megiuars also has a water spot remover for the retail market(means it is pretty safe in the hands of the uninitiated, but may not be strong enough)
On the tougher spots we use a commercial water spot remover with a very high level of success. If the water spots have etched the paint, which can happen, buffing is the answer.
Grzldvt1,
Thank you for the kind reply. I will give your suggestions a try. If it comes to buffing, can I do this by hand using a cleaner wax suitable for clear coat? If not, then I will let a professional do the work.
John
Old 07-23-2014, 05:56 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by jehanson
Hello all,

This is my first post on this forum so I apologize in advance for my ignorance

At the end of May of this year I purchased a 2004 C5 in Torch Red. The car has been fabulous and is fulfilling a life long dream.

Recently I washed the car and after a few days, noticed water spots on the car - both paint and glass. I am looking for opinions on how to remove the water spots. Note: when I bought the car there were no stone chips in the front end, I'm not sure if this is normal for corvettes being as low as they are, if not, then the original owner or the dealer may have painted the front. The car has 27000 miles and it looks like who ever owned it treated it very well. I have read many posts but since I am uncertainty about the age of the paint, I am reluctant to charge ahead without a few opinions. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,
John
This will help with newer water spots ....try and keep the car well waxes or sealed and you should be able to remove them easily.

http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-spotl...t-remover.html

Harder spots and those etched into the surface will need to be polished out or in some cases wet sanded.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:39 PM
jehanson
Heel & Toe

Just a quick update. The clay bar worked very well. After I finished, I put on several coats of wax. It looks very nice.

Thank you !
Old 08-02-2014, 08:11 AM
Merlinii
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad it worked for you. As stated above.
If you have the problem in the future you should try Carpro Spotless.
It makes quick work of removing water spotting.

Get notified of new replies

To Water spotting, possibly on newer paint

Quick Reply: Water spotting, possibly on newer paint