Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Black 'Vette owners what's the best "Black Wax"

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 06:55 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,097 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
A lot of polishers will look similar in design and different power levels, and trim levels just like a car. The most popular is the PC-XP. Megs offers one quite similar. Griots also offers one with quite a bit more torque which helps with cutting and polishing a bit faster.

Great thing, they all use the same accessories and pads. This way you can add to your collection and upgrade your machine when wanted.

http://www.autogeek.net/bupo.html

In other words, you get what you pay for....
Old 07-31-2014, 12:26 AM
scarecrowkc5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am going to get the HF one but I know nothing about the pads.

Since I am going to go the sealant route and use Black Fire what do you suggest for the pads and polishing compound?
Old 07-31-2014, 10:51 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 456 Posts

I believe after you take possession of your new C7 you have it professionally detailed to get
Rid of any mistakes your dealer may have made.
After that use the wax that you like.After that xpel,or some type of film.Or use A sealer such as Cquartz and then all you will need to do is wash it,or use the waterless wash.And no swirl
Marks.You will get paint protection from rocks.And then you'll drive it instead of wiping it.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:04 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by scarecrowkc5
I am going to get the HF one but I know nothing about the pads.

Since I am going to go the sealant route and use Black Fire what do you suggest for the pads and polishing compound?
I like Hydro-tech pads from Lake Country. I use the 5.5 inch size. You will want at least 2 of each per car. You will also need a 5 inch flexible backing plate to hold the pads in place. (not sure if the HF buffer uses the same attachment as the others)

For polishes I would highly suggest a 2-step:
1> Menzerna SIP and 085rd
2> Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover and Finishing Glaze
3> Megs 105 and 205
Old 07-31-2014, 11:24 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 146 Likes on 128 Posts

I like Hydro-tech pads from Lake Country. I use the 5.5 inch size. You will want at least 2 of each per car. You will also need a 5 inch flexible backing plate to hold the pads in place. (not sure if the HF buffer uses the same attachment as the others)

For polishes I would highly suggest a 2-step:
1> Menzerna SIP and 085rd
2> Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover and Finishing Glaze
3> Megs 105 and 205
Thanks for all the great Input! I will use it Indeed
Old 08-01-2014, 12:52 AM
scarecrowkc5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks again.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:08 AM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

Seems like my best "Black" wax thread has yielded a wealth of unrelated detail and various product info but very little input on the actual Black COLORED wax I originally intended this thread to be about. At this point I'm supposing not a lot of folks use the stuff.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:08 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by SaxyVette
Seems like my best "Black" wax thread has yielded a wealth of unrelated detail and various product info but very little input on the actual Black COLORED wax I originally intended this thread to be about. At this point I'm supposing not a lot of folks use the stuff.
I tried the Turtle Wax Black Box; It was messy to use and the result, while OK, was much less than using my normal routine of clay, polish, and Zaino. If you have significant flaws and deep scratches it may provide some cover, but it did not give me the deep wet shine I strive for.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:22 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

We offer a color charged wax in the Blackfire line, BlackIce, which looks great on dark colors and black. It is however still designed to work best with each area of detailing (wash, clay, polish) done first. Some suggest it offers a warmer look over other waxes. Dodo Juice also offers several color charged waxes for different colors. Again neither product has any appreciable cleaners and polishes and simply designed as protection of the painted surface. In the end it comes down to your preference in the final look.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:30 PM
weykool
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Las Vegas and just finished applying Zainos to my 2002 Black Vette. I started with a clay bar to remove imperfections and then followed their products instructions to completion. Short and sweet, I would be happy to drive out to Boulder City and meet with you so you can see first hand the results.
Thanks,
G
Old 08-01-2014, 09:41 PM
trm 84
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We offer a color charged wax in the Blackfire line, BlackIce, which looks great on dark colors and black. It is however still designed to work best with each area of detailing (wash, clay, polish) done first. Some suggest it offers a warmer look over other waxes. Dodo Juice also offers several color charged waxes for different colors. Again neither product has any appreciable cleaners and polishes and simply designed as protection of the painted surface. In the end it comes down to your preference in the final look.
I have blackice (pretty sure it purchased from you) and have used it a couple of times. I am not fond of it. I find it hard to remove and lacking in longevity (maybe 3 weeks on a garage queen - a garage queen driven about 100 miles!). Other Carnaubas I have last much longer, and I prefer the warmth and depth of them also. Sorry, but just giving my opinion.

PS, I put it on my wife's Camaro last week, I'll see how it does again.

Last edited by trm 84; 08-01-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:30 AM
RottenII
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by trm 84
I have blackice (pretty sure it purchased from you) and have used it a couple of times. I am not fond of it. I find it hard to remove and lacking in longevity (maybe 3 weeks on a garage queen - a garage queen driven about 100 miles!). Other Carnaubas I have last much longer, and I prefer the warmth and depth of them also. Sorry, but just giving my opinion.

PS, I put it on my wife's Camaro last week, I'll see how it does again.
Ironic that I just used Blackice for the first time yesterday. Black paint that I used the BF lineup of TP&S and WD topped with Crystal seal. Decided to try the blackice over the top and honestly could not see any difference in shine or "look" but did notice that suddenly lint sticking to the paint was now an issue.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:18 AM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Originally Posted by weykool
I live in Las Vegas and just finished applying Zainos to my 2002 Black Vette. I started with a clay bar to remove imperfections and then followed their products instructions to completion. Short and sweet, I would be happy to drive out to Boulder City and meet with you so you can see first hand the results.
Thanks,
G
Sounds good, maybe hook up for coffee or a couple cold ones.

I play my sax at "Jack's place" in Boulder City every Sun 2-6pm, but I won't have my vette on Sunday as I use my other car to haul equipment to the gig.

Looks like you have a very nice car, I'd like to see it.

I have some Zaino on the way too, I think I'll be trying it this week.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:27 AM
Merlinii
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

WOW...tons of info here. Some way off topic from the OP's Black 'Vette owners what's the best "Black Wax".

Here's my hat in the ring. I think it would have resulted in more opinions if it was "What is the best wax for black".

IMHO Turtle Wax "Black Box" is awful junk. Turtle Wax Black Spray Detailer is "not bad" but not a favorite I would use.

Black dye waxes only temporarily "fill" and hide imperfections. Glazes and waxes can and do "fill" swirls and fine scratches.

Meguiars "Black Wax" has no dye. It has "polymers & micro polishing agents that help reduce the appearance of minor defects..."

I like many different waxes and sealants. It's all about the "look" and longevity. Do you like bright and shiny or depth and warmth?

I have purchased and tried hundreds of products. Some I liked, and some I didn't and gave away. There are many I have yet to try.

Basically there are three general Last Step Product categories. Waxes, Sealants and Coatings from Adams to Zaino. <--(A to Z) [GRIN]

What do YOU want and like? Do you like waxing? Do you want to install a coating like CQuartz Finest and not worry about LSP for years?

I liked waxing my garage queen. I did the Mr. Miyagi WOWO thing for years & truly enjoyed it. Now I've done CQF I miss our time together.

So basically it comes down to what YOU want from a product. If the question is "What looks good on black paint?" I have lots of suggestions.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:12 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

I still believe you do the prep work clay etc,and it hardly makes any difference what wax you use.Try this test.1 wax on left side of hood,2 wax on right side of hood.I don't see any difference in the shine.Maybe I'm going blind.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:57 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

BIG shout-out to Black 02..the man went out of his way to send some left over Zaino products to me ..MUCH APPRECIATED..ready to have at it..pics when finished..THANKS Steve !!!
Old 08-02-2014, 03:49 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Here's a couple pics, just applied Z5 she's ready for Zaino #2 show polish..I really like this stuff, I can understand all the good reviews..first pic is product applied (hood ony) 2nd pic hand buffed..

Wow..my hood pops..!
Attached Images   

Last edited by SaxyVette; 08-02-2014 at 03:54 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Black 'Vette owners what's the best "Black Wax"

Old 08-02-2014, 03:58 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Bad reflection
Old 08-02-2014, 04:14 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Ya wanna borrow my glasses..?
Old 08-02-2014, 04:25 PM
Merlinii
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by thrilled
I still believe you do the prep work clay etc,and it hardly makes any difference what wax you use.Try this test.
1 wax on left side of hood,
2 wax on right side of hood.
I don't see any difference in the shine.Maybe I'm going blind.
"Preparation is the key!"

Decontamination is a major part of preparation.
I normally do at least a three step paint decon.
I use a citrus degreaser, 2Bwash, IronX & clay.
While I'm claying, I baggie test each panel I do.
Decon is not about shine. It's about clean paint.

Almost each wax has a different subjective "look".
Many sealants each have their own "look & feel".
Some coatings have a "look". Some have no look.
CQF, for example, can be used on a matte finish.

Use what YOU like for a Last Step Product & enjoy.

Quick Reply: Black 'Vette owners what's the best "Black Wax"