Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Black 'Vette owners what's the best "Black Wax"

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 08:44 PM
scarecrowkc5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So if I use a sealant the dirt specks will not stick and it will stay silky smooth?

Old 07-27-2014, 02:02 AM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
That's understandable, as they don't really have a large distribution network. If you remember the old, arm busting, Simoniz paste wax, you'll have a feel for the original Collinite paste wax. The only difference between the two, is Collinite was a little easier to buff off. Too bad we didn't have microfiber polishing cloths back then...
There's a blast from the past..yeah I do remember the old Simoniz stuff..it would go on pretty easy and then, oh brother..
Old 07-27-2014, 10:09 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by scarecrowkc5
So if I use a sealant the dirt specks will not stick and it will stay silky smooth?

No one product is a miracle, true car care is about specializing each step to be the best. Once the "prep" (wash, clay, polish) is done you protect the finish and the work. You have three main choices. Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings. A sealant bonds to a finish and is a synthetic wax. It does not have the oils in it of a traditional wax. It should not capture and hold as much dirt but will get dirty just like any and every car. Sealants use glossing agents to mimic the wetness and oils of a wax.

Older sealants were often called plastic looking as if you placed a baggie over your car. With modern polymers and glossing agents they now look very rich and glossy and often a bit more reflective than a traditional wax. I suspect you might like Blackfire, Rejex, my personal favorite Four Star UPP. One bottle will last many years and thin is in when applying them.

You will still want and need to wash and dry the car on a normal basis. In light situations you could use a rinseless wash versus traditional hose and bucket washing. Just remember to use good and safe advice to keep any swirls or marring away from your paint. Most products also offer a booster spray which simply revives the look of that just waxed look whenever wanted. Best part, they take less than 10 minutes for the whole car and most wont break a sweat. (spritz, buff)
Old 07-27-2014, 01:17 PM
scarecrowkc5
Pro

Before I can do anything I have to polish up the paint to get the swirls out. Plus the rocker panels need to be repainted. I'm going to get a polisher and start working on it.

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:47 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
No one product is a miracle, true car care is about specializing each step to be the best. Once the "prep" (wash, clay, polish) is done you protect the finish and the work. You have three main choices. Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings. A sealant bonds to a finish and is a synthetic wax. It does not have the oils in it of a traditional wax. It should not capture and hold as much dirt but will get dirty just like any and every car. Sealants use glossing agents to mimic the wetness and oils of a wax.

Older sealants were often called plastic looking as if you placed a baggie over your car. With modern polymers and glossing agents they now look very rich and glossy and often a bit more reflective than a traditional wax. I suspect you might like Blackfire, Rejex, my personal favorite Four Star UPP. One bottle will last many years and thin is in when applying them.

You will still want and need to wash and dry the car on a normal basis. In light situations you could use a rinseless wash versus traditional hose and bucket washing. Just remember to use good and safe advice to keep any swirls or marring away from your paint. Most products also offer a booster spray which simply revives the look of that just waxed look whenever wanted. Best part, they take less than 10 minutes for the whole car and most wont break a sweat. (spritz, buff)
great post explains the basics real well
Old 07-28-2014, 06:47 PM
trm 84
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP, lots of posts here have hashed out what is what. Don't think you can't learn to polish the car yourself. You don't have to spend a fortune, and if you allow yourself the time, you can get great results.

I'm an analyst, not a detailer, here is the driver side door for my black vette.

I would also go with the sealant route in your situation, but you could even top that with a nice carnauba wax when you want a little more depth.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:12 PM
scarecrowkc5
Pro

I think there is a point that a car can start to lose it's color look and become a mirror.

I don't want that.

In the picture above I have no idea what color c5 that is.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:12 PM
Detroit Steel
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Corvette Forum Members Weigh in on What’s the Best Wax for Black

Talk to anyone who owns a black car, and they'll tell you that behind every good shine is the pain you go through to keep that thing pristine.

Corvettes are certainly no different other than the fact that most who own one typically have a reason to go to greater lengths to keep that baby polished because true stars like the 'Vette deserve more attention.

However, there seems to be a looming question on a Corvette Forum thread of exactly what’s the best wax for the job when it comes to shining her up and protecting that black paint.

Read the rest on the Corvette Forum homepage.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:45 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

Maybe this stuff will do it...has to be better than Zaino...cost 10x as much.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:57 AM
why1504
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I have used Zanio and Adams on my Black 09 Z06. Here is my cut, Zanio last much longer, Adams looks a little better. On a driver I would use Zanio. On a show car I would use Adams.

Adams offers a wheel scrubber you attach to a cordless drill and their glass and glass towel are without equal. I only use Zanio towels.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:21 AM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Surf City Garage
The truth of the matter is 90% + of your finished result has very little to do with your choice of wax. Its the prep work that actually dictates how your paint will look, the last coating of wax, sealant, or whatever you prefer is only going to enhance whats already there.

Spread the worlds most expensive wax over poorly prepped paint and you'll get poor results.

Spread cheap wax over well prepped paint and the paint will look fantastic.

1) Proper decontamination (clay, clay media, decon sprays)
2) Paint correction to remove swirls and scratches.
3) Polishing to refine the finish and bring out the gloss.

Those 3 things will have more to do with your finished product than any wax could possibly.
.........and want to point out one of the most important factors (based on my 40 years of experience).........THE LESS CONTACT YOU HAVE WITH THE PAINT THE BETTER AND LONGER LASTING IT WILL LOOK.................

I swore by Mother's products (Showtime, etc.,.) but now I use JET BLACK.

............and I'm not a paid touter either.

Last edited by Speedforhire; 07-29-2014 at 10:48 AM. Reason: ...........to edit!
Old 07-29-2014, 06:28 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Can anyone recommend a good polisher that doesn't cost a fortune?
Old 07-29-2014, 06:52 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvettinator

PORTER-CABLE 7424XP.....$117 on Amazon.com
Old 07-29-2014, 09:24 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

This is basically the Porter Cable with Harbor freight name on it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-va...her-69924.html
Old 07-29-2014, 10:52 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Originally Posted by Speedforhire
.........and want to point out one of the most important factors (based on my 40 years of experience).........THE LESS CONTACT YOU HAVE WITH THE PAINT THE BETTER AND LONGER LASTING IT WILL LOOK.................

I swore by Mother's products (Showtime, etc.,.) but now I use JET BLACK.

............and I'm not a paid touter either.
Now there is some feedback I am curious about..is your "Jet Black" that turtle wax stuff..??

still waiting for my Zaino to arrive, surprised my paint looks pretty decent with nothing on it just clayed..my hood is the worst part on my car, I'll try the Zaino prep step by hand, if I'm not satisfied I got a pal with a buffer and that'll be the next move. Then it's finish time.
Attached Images  
Old 07-30-2014, 10:41 AM
bobby777
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CAP94
I also use Zaino. The results speak for themselves. Find what works for you and go with it.

Can you say-ORANGE PEEL-
Old 07-30-2014, 11:55 AM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
PORTER-CABLE 7424XP.....$117 on Amazon.com
Nice.

Originally Posted by jdvann
This is basically the Porter Cable with Harbor freight name on it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-va...her-69924.html
Even nicer!

Get notified of new replies

To Black 'Vette owners what's the best "Black Wax"

Old 07-30-2014, 01:43 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,998 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by SaxyVette
I'm looking at several brands what's the best ??
Anything with oils in their wax or petro-chemicals are to be avoided.

Two reasons, actually three is why I avoid them:
*Oil attracts and holds dirt, oil does not breathe, and the petro-chemical fumes play havoc with your lungs while using them.

For these reasons, I searched and found a product line named WIZARDS and have been using it exclusively for years.
Their Mist N Shine I swear by.

Highest shine you can get, no oily wax or petro-chemicals. Takes like 3 to 5 minutes tops to Mist N Shine your car. Works on glass and plastic/chrome metal too.

Not naming names, but the leading marketers sold in the mass marketers /AutoZone, etc. (we all know them) ALL have either oil or petro-chemicals in their formulations. Why? Because oil is cheap=higher profit margins. Hi-tech products cost money.

Start reading labels - avoid the oil.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:21 PM
bret444
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been using autoglym radiant wax on my black c7 and it works fantastic,easy on,easy off,not 1 swirl mark....
Old 07-30-2014, 06:24 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvettinator
A lot of polishers will look similar in design and different power levels, and trim levels just like a car. The most popular is the PC-XP. Megs offers one quite similar. Griots also offers one with quite a bit more torque which helps with cutting and polishing a bit faster.

Great thing, they all use the same accessories and pads. This way you can add to your collection and upgrade your machine when wanted.

http://www.autogeek.net/bupo.html

Quick Reply: Black 'Vette owners what's the best "Black Wax"