Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Black 'Vette owners what's the best "Black Wax"

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 08:30 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Black 02
SaxyVette,

You can read and make your own decisions, but personally, I'm always wary of people who state over and over they have no affiliation with a particular product, then go out of their way to push it like a Kia salesperson.

While the above qualities are true of Zaino, they are also true for just about any sealant out there. They will all fill light imperfections, but if you really want a glass like finish, prepping the paint properly is the only way to go. True professionals polish like they do for a reason; and it's not because they enjoy wasting eight hours of their time per vehicle.

I was pretty big into Zaino several years back until I got into machine polishing. The results of actual paint correction really do speak for themselves.

If you do all your research, and still want to try out Zaino. Let me know. I have some leftover bottles of Z2 and Z5 along with the activator in my storage room you can have. I've actually been thinking of tossing them since I have no use for them and have moved on to better things. The only drawback is that they were originally purchased in 2006 or so and I'm not sure of the shelf life of the stuff.
02 I'll try it..message me and I'll give you my address
Old 07-22-2014, 10:03 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

As has been said already, correcting the paint is key. Get the swirls and scratches out, then use a finishing polish to get the paint to the shine you want to see before you put on the sealant/wax. Then apply a paint coating or sealant for protection, then optionally a wax over that.

In somewhat of a contrast to the black paint theme of this thread, I've found Zaino works best on the yellow C5, but not as good as some premium paint coatings and carnaubas on the CRM C6. Zaino makes the yellow sparkle (hard to do on yellow and white) but makes CRM look like it is under a piece of thick plastic - this Zaino type of shine somewhat hides the depth of the dark color. I've seen the same appearance on NRB and black. Some like that appearance but I'd rather see more color depth and warmth along with the gloss. Zaino is an excellent product for paint protection.

Each year, I start with clay (if needed), then Meguiars 205 with a PC 7424XP on both cars. Then Zaino AIO on the yellow, and maintain that with Z6, Z8 and the occasional wash with Z7. The CRM gets the Pinnacle Black Label system. Also, both of these cars are weekend drivers so they don't have a lot of exposure to the elements and are easy to keep up with. IMO, the single step in the above that gives the most improvement in appearance is the M205 polish step.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:25 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I'm going to jump in and out quickly..
How does your paint get " incorrect" that you have to correct it??
My paint has never been incorrect because it has always been protected by Zaino,

How do you get swirl marks and scratches??
Swirl marks can only come from improper machine polishing. Scratches?? my car has no scratches, Its not a garage queen , but correcting incorrect paint and swirls and scratches probably does need all those things. Fortunately, I take better care of my car. Swirls marks?? and you are giving paint advice?

My car is 15 years old, my paint is not incorrect or does it have swirl marks or scratches.. My car also has almost 100,000 miles on it.

Just curious. People I know who use Zaino can apply it once in a year and it still looks wet a year later. Those who use it a few times a year, their paint finish is deeper and wetter looking.

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 07-22-2014 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:54 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

What laurent said, chadwicks, love it
Old 07-22-2014, 11:03 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
I'm going to jump in and out quickly..
How does your paint get " incorrect" that you have to correct it??
My paint has never been incorrect because it has always been protected by Zaino,

How do you get swirl marks and scratches??
Swirl marks can only come from improper machine polishing.
Incorrect. Swirl marks can happen from improper washing techniques. You are mistaking swirl marks with buffer holograms. Some people call them "love marks" too as they are put in with good intentions. Two bucket method and other things can help minimize them, but they happen to the best of us.

Scratches?? my car has no scratches, Its not a garage queen , but correcting incorrect paint and swirls and scratches probably does need all those things. Fortunately, I take better care of my car. Swirls marks?? and you are giving paint advice?
That's great. Crap happens though. I got a few scuffs and light scratches on my fenders when I installed my cam. Had the light cord on a towel laying across my fender, but unfortunately the cord ended up against the paint at one point. It doesn't take much to happen. Road debris, cats, birds, sago palms (don't ask) can all cause scratches or light marks in the paint. I try to be as careful with my cars as I can, but things do happen. Yesterday a small block of wood was bouncing down the highway, got under an 18 wheeler, and ended up getting kicked in front of me. It wasn't very kind to my DD's front bumper. Maybe I should take "better care of my car" to prevent things like this? Or maybe they can't be prevented and are part of life.

My car is 15 years old, my paint is not incorrect or does it have swirl marks or scratches.. My car also has almost 100,000 miles on it.

Just curious. People I know who use Zaino can apply it once in a year and it still looks wet a year later. Those who use it a few times a year, their paint finish is deeper and wetter looking.
As I alluded to, your car has had protection from the beginning. OPs car hasn't. If a car has been cared for properly and protected from day one, then yeah, your method probably has done a pretty good job of protecting the paint. You can't expect to just sprinkle zaino on a 15 year paint job that has an unknown history and expect "show car" results though. You just can't. Cars like the OPs car benefit the most from paint correction. After proper paint correction, it's all about protection from there on out.

While your car looks fine in the pics, I guarantee you I could make it look better
Old 07-22-2014, 11:14 PM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

Incorrect. Swirl marks can happen from improper washing techniques. You are mistaking swirl marks with buffer holograms. Some people call them "love marks" too as they are put in with good intentions. Two bucket method and other things can help minimize them, but they happen to the best of us.

That's great. Crap happens though. I got a few scuffs and light scratches on my fenders when I installed my cam. Had the light cord on a towel laying across my fender, but unfortunately the cord ended up against the paint at one point. It doesn't take much to happen. Road debris, cats, birds, sago palms (don't ask) can all cause scratches or light marks in the paint. I try to be as careful with my cars as I can, but things do happen. Yesterday a small block of wood was bouncing down the highway, got under an 18 wheeler, and ended up getting kicked in front of me. It wasn't very kind to my DD's front bumper. Maybe I should take "better care of my car" to prevent things like this? Or maybe they can't be prevented and are part of life.

As I alluded to, your car has had protection from the beginning. OPs car hasn't. If a car has been cared for properly and protected from day one, then yeah, your method probably has done a pretty good job of protecting the paint. You can't expect to just sprinkle zaino on a 15 year paint job that has an unknown history and expect "show car" results though. You just can't. Cars like the OPs car benefit the most from paint correction. After proper paint correction, it's all about protection from there on out.

While your car looks fine in the pics, I guarantee you I could make it look better

Best damn post of the whole thread.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:29 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I agree that my car has been taken care of from the beginning and its a plus to have been doing this for over 50 years. You learn a lot over those years.
About my car looking better.. you can improve on anything , but I have to tell you, and this I can swear, I get too much attention as it is in parking lots, banks, drug stores, gas stations, now. It causes me to make a trip to the store a half hour in the store and an hour and a half in the parking lot talking to people... Don't get me wrong, IM retired.. have the time and I love talking too people.. I get people rolling down their window asking me to pull over and show them my car. At the gym I see people through the window as I'm on the tread mill taking pictures next to it.. I honestly can not take any more attention.. But that attention is very flattering. Talk about flattering, I have a half dozen people who want to buy my car when I decide to sell it.. I have a long time friend who wanted to buy my car last year. 20K ( car is 15 years old and had 93,000 miles ) A few weeks ago he offered me 25K. This is serious offer in that he was ready to go to the bank Last year, and also a few weeks ago. This guy owns several restaurants and has a few dollars.. He says he wants my car for his wife.
The car speaks for itself.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:54 AM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Well I stirred up a pretty good conversation here for sure. 02 is correct about my paint, it's rough, and I suppose some would even consider it shot. But hey it's just a car and I'll drive every chance I get, so it's gonna get dirty and will suffer the inevitable consequences of life on the open road. But at least with my vette I don't have to obsess over the small stuff and be paranoid of every little flaw that comes my way.

Mr Black 02 has graciously offered to send me some of the vaunted "Zaino" stuff so we'll see what all the fuss is about..In the meantime I discovered a small bottle of "Mothers" Carnauba Cleaner Wax that came with a detail kit I bought back around '05 (note the Pic of the T-Bird on the bottle)...Well of course since I recently clayed my sled and it's looking a little naked without any wax at all, I had to try a bit. I did just the headlight lid you see and for what it's worth in person it looks like a Black mirror. I know it's a lousy pic but trust me, in person it's impressive. At this point I'll probably grab a can of the Mothers Carnauba and have fun til the Zaino shows up. Here's a another shot of my paint that shows the finish a little better. We're fixing a ding. Before and after.
Attached Images     
Old 07-23-2014, 02:06 AM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

I wouldn't waste the high dollar stuff until you tried the correction techniques...you can find good instructions on youtube on how to do paint correction.

btw...that repainted panel looks good.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:29 AM
SaxyVette
Drifting

I'm starting to realize this thread was kind of Dumba$$ as there is really clearcoat over the Black anyway..

The latest hype I see at the wax shelf is all about these new"Black Wax" products. I guess that's what got me going..BUT I've realized, thanks to you guys, paint correction is what I need first, no matter whether I use Zaino, Chadwicks, or Mothers..My hood is a disaster. It's the worst part on the whole car...I know a guy who buffs gelcoat on Boats for a living, I'm gonna pay him a visit..

If you are interested you can visit my Lo-Buck vette thread for the full story on the rocker panel..the guy who painted it is a pro.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:02 AM
3tt3v8P
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Zaino for me
Old 07-23-2014, 11:13 AM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by SaxyVette
...I know a guy who buffs gelcoat on Boats for a living, I'm gonna pay him a visit..
Does he have a lot of experience doing cars, or just boats? I don't know anything about boat detailing, but I've heard they require pretty aggressive methods to get the job done. If he's used to being really aggressive with gelcoat, it could be a disaster waiting to happen on a black car. Would hate to see you end up with a lot of buffer trails and holograms on the car as nothing shows them off like a dark color.

I'm not saying he will do a bad job. For all I know, he could be very experienced with doing cars as well as boats. Just saying, do your research so you end up a happy camper
Old 07-23-2014, 11:28 AM
KenShores
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went for the turtle wax black box kit. Someone at work said it worked well for them.

Save your money and time. A lot of work for almost nothing more than wax. Plus you will use up/ruin towels and rubber gloves.

I'm still trying to save up to a real paint correction type detail done on mine. I just don't have an extra $500-$700 available right now. I have seen really good work by people that know what they are doing.

It wasn't a bad experience, just not worth the time and expense.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:30 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Does he have a lot of experience doing cars, or just boats? I don't know anything about boat detailing, but I've heard they require pretty aggressive methods to get the job done. If he's used to being really aggressive with gelcoat, it could be a disaster waiting to happen on a black car. Would hate to see you end up with a lot of buffer trails and holograms on the car as nothing shows them off like a dark color.

I'm not saying he will do a bad job. For all I know, he could be very experienced with doing cars as well as boats. Just saying, do your research so you end up a happy camper
I agree here
Gel Coat on a boat bares no resemblance to the water based relatively thin clear coat on a C5. Boats get crusty algae, crustations, and all types of organic organisms that etch their presence into the gel coat of a boat. Boats are relatively flat, with no door peaks, hood peaks, hatch peaks, etc that can easily get burnt through, with aggressive action.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:33 AM
CAP94
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I also use Zaino. The results speak for themselves. Find what works for you and go with it.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:47 AM
SaxyVette
Drifting

WOW..!!!! Black IS so Beautiful..gorgeous cars guys...
Old 07-23-2014, 11:50 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by CAP94
I also use Zaino. The results speak for themselves. Find what works for you and go with it.

It doesn't get much better than that..... a picture is worth a thousand words. I have a lot of respect for someone who takes such good care in maintaining their car. Usually when a car looks this good, the things you can't see are also well maintained. This is a case where you usually can tell the content of a book by its cover.
Nice job
Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Black 'Vette owners what's the best "Black Wax"

Old 07-23-2014, 11:52 AM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Another great heads-up..I'll find out before letting him anywhere near my hood.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:58 AM
SaxyVette
Drifting

I used some of this stuff on a hood scratch when I first got my car but it left such a dull spot I didn't like it. Didn't do much for the scratch either, too deep I guess.
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2014, 01:24 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,505 Likes on 3,590 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I used Pinnacle wax, I bought from autogeek.com which is vender on the forum, which makes the car shine, made for black cars.

Quick Reply: Black 'Vette owners what's the best "Black Wax"