Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Questions on paint protection products and process

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 04:00 PM
luvchevs
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Questions on paint protection products and process

I find it hard to find the time to give my car - 2010 GS vert the attention it deserves. I want to do something, but I'm also very confused by all the products - waxes, sealants, coats and processes clay, polish, swirl and scratch remover, etc out there.
What steps do I need to do to get my car looking real good without spending a great deal of time?
What products are easiest to use?
Do I need a machine to get good results or can I get similar results by hand?
I'm concerned about dried up and dead white wax in hard to get at spots and on black trim being a PITA to get off.
Look forward to reading your recommendations.

Dave
Old 07-21-2014, 09:08 AM
CyberGrayGS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out this Forum: http://www.autogeekonline.net/
Tons of good info, and very helpful people.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:25 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Thank you for the referral ....

It is best to try and do each step of car care at least once, before considering a product that will protect the hard work the longest.

Wash --- Clay --- Polish --- Protect

I would highly suggest considering a coating for a least a years protection, and likely longer. Before using the coating a machine is a good choice if your polishing paint to remove marring and light scratches, its much to hard via hand.

If you choose that you don't have the time needed, consider a true detailer and realize they will charge by the hour and likely quote a minimum. Ask them if they use or apply G-technic or Optimums Opti-coat 2.0 as a coating.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:54 PM
tampatopless
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For no reason whatsoever, I use different products on different cars. And I use a lot of the AutoGeek stuff. Sealant is synthetic. Wax is natural. Both protect the paint. Sealant = wax (sorta).

But if I had to pick one system and stick with it - and I wanted a minimal amount of time - I would go with Zaino (a sealant).

Here's why: The startup process with Zaino is hellish. It's multiple coats. But if you never touched the car again for six months it would look great after every wash. I think it lasts the longest. After you do the multiple coats, you just add a coat when you feel like it.

In fact, I used to add coats in the cool weather until Memorial Day and then not touch it until October. And we are talking Florida heat and thunderstorms.

But with that being said, and if you enjoy detailing your cars, I would go with some of the AutoGeek carnuba waxes and then touch it up after washes with some of that Pinnacle Crystal Mist. That stuff is the bomb.

It just doesn't last as long. However, AutoGeek does sell quite of bit of the sealant stuff - the Blackfire and Rejex come to mind - which may last a little longer.

There is no right or wrong answer. It's just on metal flake, I feel some of the products mute the effect every so slightly and I felt Zaino's Z2 made it sparkle the best and lasted longer than some of the other stuff.

Oh, and I do everything by hand. Not necessarily by choice. And most of the products today don't leave the residue like in the old days.

Last edited by tampatopless; 07-23-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:24 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

http://www.autogeek.net/car-paint-gl...-coatings.html

Coatings will last far longer than any sealant that I have used. Opti-coat 2.0 is semi-permanent and can only be removed by polishing. G-technic and others offer 1-2-3 years of protection on a single application.

Get notified of new replies

To Questions on paint protection products and process

Quick Reply: Questions on paint protection products and process