Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Car cover for leaks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 02:40 AM
BlueShine
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car cover for leaks?

I'm fairly new to the forum. I finally got my first Corvette ever. I have been wanting one for 25 years. I got a blue 1973 and I don't have a garage so I'm looking for the proper car cover to protect it from the water leaks that I discovered that it had after a downpour. I've searched the forum and found many opinions and I think I've narrowed it down to the cover craft Weathershield HP or the calcarcover.com superweave. I also discovered that these two items are the same thing, just different names. But then I saw the video of this cover and it looked great at first because it was shedding water like beads but then the guy lifted up the cover and showed that the car was wet. This will not serve my purposes at all because I want to keep water completely off of the car so that it does not leak and get the carpet wet.

So then I find the typhoon cover is waterproof (not water resistant) but then I see a post of someone saying because it's waterPROOF (not breathable) it builds up heat underneath and cracks the headlight glass. So now I don't know what to get.

And then on top of that confusion I read all these comments that say never put a car cover on your car unless you have just washed it or the wind will cause minor dust or dirt on it to scratch the paint. Well my vette is one that I drive every day, it stays outside and I cannot wash it every day and so now I'm really confused that I can't put a car cover on it to stop the rain without getting it all scratched up because it's not freshly washed when I put the cover on it. What am I to do?

If anyone has any information to help me find a solution please help. And please don't tell me to get a garage, that is not an option for me right now. My goal is to keep rain from entering my car through the hidden leak holes and getting the inside wet. I plan to use the cover only when a bad downpour is forecasted. Thanks for any good advice.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:41 AM
CyberGrayGS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What you read is correct: You want a car cover that breathes, and allows water to evaporate - not one that is waterproof. Moisture can get trapped underneath and ruin your paint. You also do not want to put a cover on a car unless it is clean. Maybe something like this cockpit cover would stop the leaks, without ruining the paint.
http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1968-1975.html
If you have a hardtop, you could easily wipe down the top with some quick detailer, before putting the cover on. Hope this may be of some help.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:59 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I love my Weathershield cover from Covercraft and have seen the difference in build quality over other brands. It is indeed only water resistant versus waterproof. I only cover my car when clean, and seen no harm from using it since new.
http://www.autogeek.net/carcovers.html
Old 07-20-2014, 07:29 PM
RichardEngland
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased a ‘73 last year in September, like yourself I don’t have a garage and the T-tops and windows leak, so I covered it with a “Noah Block-It” cover. No, issues during the winter, but as soon as I could, I spent a few days tweaking the seals and windows to make it water proof. I only drive it a few time a month, so washing/waxing it before I cover it is not a big deal. For a daily driver, you need to fix the leaks, a cover will not due. IMO

Last edited by RichardEngland; 07-20-2014 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:47 PM
RichardEngland
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a must have, unless you like the puddle of water behind the seats.
You need both DOOR SILL WATER DIVERTER, RT and LT one.
http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....5Z50000050G~~~

Get notified of new replies

To Car cover for leaks?

Quick Reply: Car cover for leaks?