Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Top 10 Car Cleaning Mistakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 05:45 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Top 10 Car Cleaning Mistakes

Hey guys,

So with the summer here and car season in full flight, here are my Top 10 Mistakes People Make When Cleaning Their Car.

Let me know what you think!
**Also, if the video was helpful, give it a “thumbs up” on YouTube (it helps me out, thanks)***

Also, I would like to hear any car cleaning mistakes you guys know of!
Old 07-10-2014, 05:59 PM
chupr0kabra
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always recommend removing the tags from your towels before first use.

-Mike
Old 07-10-2014, 08:47 PM
rsparks64
Drifting

Received 278 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by dogfish246
Hey guys,

So with the summer here and car season in full flight, here are my Top 10 Mistakes People Make When Cleaning Their Car.

Top 10 Car Cleaning Mistakes - YouTube

**Also, if the video was helpful, give it a “thumbs up” on YouTube (it helps me out, thanks)***

11. not having a red car
12. having a black car (I have had two. They are spectacular when detailed but you can use a stop watch to time how long it lasts).
Old 07-11-2014, 02:01 PM
VPP
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dogfish246
Hey guys,

Top 10 Car Cleaning Mistakes - YouTube

Thanks for the vid! Perfect #1 tip for the Corvette Forum!
Great basic tips using standard and inexpensive methods/products for people who may not know any better... always nice to see more resources for everyone to learn

I can't believe I used to dry cars with a beach towel (15 years ago when I washed my parent's cars and didn't know any better!)

Let's see.. what can I add...

• I'd recommend cleaning the wheels/tires/exhaust tips first, using their own two buckets of soap/water to minimize the chance of getting brake dust, road grit, wheel cleaner, tire dressing, etc on the paint after it's been washed.

• Remember to clean & dry out all of the nooks & crannies... especially the door jambs!

• Microfiber instead of paper towel for the interior! Paper towel always throws out small fibers which then have to be cleaned up again.

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra

-Mike
I sit down with each new batch of towels I received and tear off each tag. It usually messes up the edge seem a little bit but it's well worth it to remove the sharp tag that's ready to scratch my paint!

Originally Posted by rsparks64
11. not having a red car
12. having a black car (I have had two. They are spectacular when detailed but you can use a stop watch to time how long it lasts).
lol #12... agreed a stopwatch is pretty accurate for black. Maybe I'll time my Black Z tonight after I finish detailing her for a show tomorrow

--
VPP
Old 07-11-2014, 02:18 PM
hb4lthr
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Overall a good overview of how to clean a car. However, here are a few other things that were not mentioned:

1) Use grit guards in both buckets
2) Before wiping the car down, take your nozzle off the hose and run a stream of water over the entire car.
3) Follow this up with blowing any remaining water off with an electric leaf blower
4) Before beginning the final wipe down of the car, spray some detail spray on the panel for more lubrication

With respect to not using sponges I would generally agree but I use a sponge bought from Autogeek and have never had any issues.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:23 AM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra

-Mike
That is a good tip! Thanks! I am going to do that now!

Originally Posted by rsparks64
11. not having a red car
Yea man. I love the torch red on the Vette! I hate the black car. One day on the road and it is looking dirty! The best color that never looks dirty is the tan/sand color. I take my truck offroad and it doesnt even look dirty lol

Originally Posted by VPP
Thanks for the vid! Perfect #1 tip for the Corvette Forum!
Great basic tips using standard and inexpensive methods/products for people who may not know any better... always nice to see more resources for everyone to learn

I can't believe I used to dry cars with a beach towel (15 years ago when I washed my parent's cars and didn't know any better!)

Let's see.. what can I add...

• I'd recommend cleaning the wheels/tires/exhaust tips first, using their own two buckets of soap/water to minimize the chance of getting brake dust, road grit, wheel cleaner, tire dressing, etc on the paint after it's been washed.

• Remember to clean & dry out all of the nooks & crannies... especially the door jambs!

• Microfiber instead of paper towel for the interior! Paper towel always throws out small fibers which then have to be cleaned up again.

I sit down with each new batch of towels I received and tear off each tag. It usually messes up the edge seem a little bit but it's well worth it to remove the sharp tag that's ready to scratch my paint!

lol #12... agreed a stopwatch is pretty accurate for black. Maybe I'll time my Black Z tonight after I finish detailing her for a show tomorrow

--
VPP
Thanks a lot and thanks for the tips!

Originally Posted by hb4lthr
Overall a good overview of how to clean a car. However, here are a few other things that were not mentioned:

1) Use grit guards in both buckets
2) Before wiping the car down, take your nozzle off the hose and run a stream of water over the entire car.
3) Follow this up with blowing any remaining water off with an electric leaf blower
4) Before beginning the final wipe down of the car, spray some detail spray on the panel for more lubrication

With respect to not using sponges I would generally agree but I use a sponge bought from Autogeek and have never had any issues.
Thanks for the tips. As for the electric blower. I thought about this but could dust and stuff getting blown at the car at 120mph+ damage the paint?

Get notified of new replies

To Top 10 Car Cleaning Mistakes

Quick Reply: Top 10 Car Cleaning Mistakes