Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Using Mezerna Power Lock Sealant - by hand or some device like orbital polisher

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 07:43 PM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Using Mezerna Power Lock Sealant - by hand or some device like orbital polisher

I have a lot detailing products and use CR Spotless, but am a newb compared to most here.

So have a dumb question.

My black C6 Z06 is wrapped in XPEL Ultimate.

My installer/detailer recommended Mezerna Power Lock Sealant.

I was reading online and it says that you can apply by hand or with some machine. What are the benefits of using a machine to apply, i'm assuming it's faster?

As far as investing in an orbital polisher (or whatever machine is practical), can I use that to rejuvenate the surface of my XPEL after several months when there are some contaminants that I can feel on the surface of it after I wash it?

I don't know anything about the science of using these polishers, but I know that if I just wash my car by hand really clean, and use whatever sealant or wax, it might be shiny but I can still feel all the little bumps. Then I take it to the detailer, and they machine polish it with whatever it is they use, and then voila, the surface is as smooth as a baby's butt and all those tough water spots I couldn't remove with all the best chemicals/agents (and I've used them all) are almost all gone.

The above was also the case after I got it wrapped in XPEL.

I'd like to be able to do whatever they do in their shop at home, so that I can get the same sparkling look.

I realize this question is so basic that you probably don't even know where to start. I just want to know if it's worth purchasing some polishing machine and learning how to do this on my own.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:38 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,096 Likes on 808 Posts

I always put sealant on by hand, I found that Wolfgang Sealer is easier on and off than Menzenra as I use both. I also like the shine better on Black with Wolfgang.

I can seal my Vette on and off in 30-40 minutes
Old 07-02-2014, 09:24 AM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

I use the Menzerna power lock by machine on a low speed, but it's not necessary. It speeds up the application but I only hit the big areas by machine and then do the smaller ones by hand since its more controllable and accurate. If you are buying a machine ONLY to apply sealant, I'd just do it by hand.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:34 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Menzerna Powerlock can indeed be used by machine or hand. Thin is in, and often the buffer can help control the amount applied and thus the amount removed with buffing. I don't see where the buffer will help with Xpel product and might pull it up also. I would suggest hand in your specific environment.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:04 PM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys. Appreciate it.

I'd also like to get an orbital polisher to polish my XPEL lightly once a year, as contaminants do get stuck on it, and I'd like to clay it and then polish with some gentle/finishing agent.

But I can see that applying sealant by hand does give more control, especially in the smaller spaces.

Get notified of new replies

To Using Mezerna Power Lock Sealant - by hand or some device like orbital polisher

Quick Reply: Using Mezerna Power Lock Sealant - by hand or some device like orbital polisher