Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Best newbie da polisher

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 03:32 PM
20Z0602
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best newbie da polisher

I have been detailing my cars by hand all my life. I would like to get into a da polisher like a porter or flex or even the rupes. I would like to purchse a da that I will not hurt the car with, yet at the same time I want one that does the best job. From what I can tell in my research the flex and rupes are a little better than the pc. Many start with the pc and move into another machine. I like the rupes and the color co-ordinated system they have, but is it a little too much for me? Thank you for your thoughts.

Jim
Old 06-25-2014, 05:02 PM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

The flex and rupes do work faster but with that comes damage if not careful. The PC is a great starter buffer. I have used one for years. It takes a little longer to clear up some spots but no damage will be done. The right pad and product is key.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:06 PM
trm 84
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Rupes has a huge throw, so you probably don't want to start there, it makes small areas really hard to get to. The Flex is an awesome machine. The forced rotation really helps correct fast.

The PC (or Griots Garage, which is a little more powerful) are excellent machines as well.

The Cyclo is a really interesting machine. I don't have one, nut I've used one. It is incredibly smooth to use. Incredibly smooth.

If I were just starting today, it would be between the Flex and Cyclo. I also love the fact that he Cyclo is made in the USA.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:36 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

The porter cable is going to be your best bet for a started DA polisher. Safe and easy to use. You will achieve basically the same results as with the flex, albeit a little slower.

Personally, I went with the flex as my first venture into machine polishing and it worked great! I have a review here with the Adam's Basic Machine Polishing Kit.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/car-...on-the-c6.html
Old 06-25-2014, 06:56 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

If I was starting today, I would consider the Griots Random Orbital. It more powerful than the PC-XP and uses all the same accessories and pads. The Flex is clearly an upgrade but so is the cost. Rupes offer at -4- models currently including a Duetto 12 which is close to the Griots in size, but a much greater buffer IMO. (again see cost)

http://www.autogeek.net/bupo.html
Old 06-26-2014, 06:38 AM
slapshot12
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

I've had a PC for years and it works well and is very easy to use. Just select the right polish, wax, etc and pad for the job and you're set.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:57 AM
rsparks64
Drifting

Received 278 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by 20Z0602
I have been detailing my cars by hand all my life. I would like to get into a da polisher like a porter or flex or even the rupes. I would like to purchse a da that I will not hurt the car with, yet at the same time I want one that does the best job. From what I can tell in my research the flex and rupes are a little better than the pc. Many start with the pc and move into another machine. I like the rupes and the color co-ordinated system they have, but is it a little too much for me? Thank you for your thoughts.

Jim
I got Griot's Garage 6 and 3 inch models for Christmas and did start with older cars/daily drivers to get the hang of it. They were one of several that seemed to be highly recommended, particularly for newbies. They seem to have worked well for me and I have not done any damage, while seeing positive results. I cannot really comment on others since I have not used any others.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:13 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

I have the Porter Cable, Flex and Rupes. The shape of the C5 makes it very easy to stall out the Rupes (I have the 21) or PC. I find the flex does the best job for me on C5s due to the forced rotation. On a car with big flat panels, you can't beat the Rupes. I typically use all three on most details since there are areas where some shine and others don't. Using the right pads and products combined with good technique should get you good results no matter which polisher you choose.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:35 PM
20Z0602
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for all the replies! I am leaning towards the Cyclo Pro 5 after watching the many videos on youtube with it.

Get notified of new replies

To Best newbie da polisher

Quick Reply: Best newbie da polisher