Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

tire cleaning question

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 12:32 PM
walker3
Le Mans Master

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

Default tire cleaning question

This is not for the Corvette but for a truck - how do you clean the white letters? the brite white tire cleaners that they sell to clean tires is that good for tires? will it cause the tires to get premature drying out and tire cracking?

what is the best way to maintain your tires
Old 06-14-2014, 03:01 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by walker3
This is not for the Corvette but for a truck - how do you clean the white letters? the brite white tire cleaners that they sell to clean tires is that good for tires? will it cause the tires to get premature drying out and tire cracking?

I use a firm brush and Amazing Roll-Off. It is a great product that can be used in numerous areas of car care and around the home also. I also use it on outside pvc furniture.

http://www.autogeek.net/amazingrolloff.html

A non-acid product that is biodegradable and environmentally safe. Inhibits rust and leaves a wax-like finish that resists dirt

Last edited by Killrwheels@Autogeek; 06-18-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:22 AM
0chadwickstripleplay
Former Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

The safest "non toxic" way to clean whitewalls and raised white letters is Mr. Clean Magic Eraser....Neil
Old 06-18-2014, 05:25 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Simple Green and a stiff brush always worked for me. Spray it on and let it sit for a minute or so, then scrub your tires with soapy water.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:19 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Black Magic Bleche White (formerly Westley's) and a soapy Brillo pad. Rinse and sponge or use a bristle brush as you rinse. It works great and won't hurt the tires. Protect them with 303 Aerospace Protectant. Gives a nice matte finish.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:51 PM
Marvin Black
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning raised white letters

Need help. I have not found anything that cleans my raised white letters on BF Goodrich T/A Radials. The white letters turn yellow in a short period of time. I bought a brand new set a couple of years ago and the letters turned yellow. The tire shop replaced all the tires with new ones In just a couple of months the new set letters turned yellow. Someone on this site has had the same problem and found a way to make them white but missed who it was. I have contacted Michelon about this problem and they say this is normal. I know that is BS because I have never seen any whitewall or raised white letter do this. They finally did say to take it to a tire shop and let them look at it which I intend to do. The tires presently only have 200 miles on them and car is always parked inside and never driven in the rain. I think there is a chemical in the tire that causes the letters to turn yellow. If I wanted yellow raised letter I would have ordered them. My car is bright white and the yellow raised letters make it look horrible. Even had points taken off the tires because they looked so bad. Can you help. Thanks
Old 07-08-2014, 04:56 PM
0Surf City Garage
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marvin Black
Need help. I have not found anything that cleans my raised white letters on BF Goodrich T/A Radials. The white letters turn yellow in a short period of time. I bought a brand new set a couple of years ago and the letters turned yellow. The tire shop replaced all the tires with new ones In just a couple of months the new set letters turned yellow. Someone on this site has had the same problem and found a way to make them white but missed who it was. I have contacted Michelon about this problem and they say this is normal. I know that is BS because I have never seen any whitewall or raised white letter do this. They finally did say to take it to a tire shop and let them look at it which I intend to do. The tires presently only have 200 miles on them and car is always parked inside and never driven in the rain. I think there is a chemical in the tire that causes the letters to turn yellow. If I wanted yellow raised letter I would have ordered them. My car is bright white and the yellow raised letters make it look horrible. Even had points taken off the tires because they looked so bad. Can you help. Thanks
With white lettering turning yelllow - orangish you have a few potential sources/issues.

#1 is the use of ANY tire dressing, even on a clean tire is going to rub some of the vulcanized rubber from the black surfaces over the white lettering giving you some discoloration. As annoying and time consuming as it may be you need to dress the tires carefully and do not drag an applicator across the white lettering. Consider using foam craft paint brushes if you must.

The other, harder to address, issue is the leaching of anti-ozonant to the surface of the tire. Its the same process that makes black tires look brown, even after cleaning. On white lettering it presents itself as a yellowing discoloration.

I have an extensive writeup on the subject here:
http://www.surfcitygarageforums.com/...p-brown-tires/

the best remedy is regular cleaning with a strong mixture of a quality APC Concentrate and a stiff bristle brush.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:00 PM
BostonJoel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
Black Magic Bleche White (formerly Westley's) and a soapy Brillo pad. Rinse and sponge or use a bristle brush as you rinse. It works great and won't hurt the tires. Protect them with 303 Aerospace Protectant. Gives a nice matte finish.
I used to use Bleche White in the old days of raised white letters. Works very well to restore the whiteness to the tires. I still have a bottle of the old Westley product which I use to remove scuffs from the thresholds on all three cars.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:21 AM
Sleper
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Black Magic Bleche White (formerly Westley's) Have been using for decades. wet tire and rim. spray. agitate with tire bursh, may need other brush depending on rims, rinse good. I have been please with the results for years with no ill effects to any rims, crome, paint, aluminum.... Good luck and
Old 07-11-2014, 07:51 PM
hb4lthr
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sleper
Black Magic Bleche White (formerly Westley's) Have been using for decades. wet tire and rim. spray. agitate with tire bursh, may need other brush depending on rims, rinse good. I have been please with the results for years with no ill effects to any rims, crome, paint, aluminum.... Good luck and
Third recommendation for Bleche White. Best of all its available at Walmart for about $3.5
Old 07-13-2014, 05:42 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 342 Likes on 213 Posts

SOS pads.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:09 PM
Rakkasan
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As a follow up I had my '66 in the corvette shop for a couple of weeks, and noticed the lettering on one of the tires was brown, and some browning around the edges on a couple of others. When I got it home I use the Meguiars and scrubbed the brown off, but I had zero browning with them for the month prior while it was in my garage. I'm thinking it has to be something environmental with some of the tires rather than the tires themselves.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:56 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

I have always used a dash of comet on a stiff brush. Works great.
The following users liked this post:
leebay (07-11-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To tire cleaning question

Quick Reply: tire cleaning question