Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Clay bar time

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 07:49 PM
12zo
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Clay bar time

Back in January I won an Autogeek giveaway of the Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit.
Today was detail day and I finally got to use it.
My corvette is not out of storage yet (soon) but my daily driver needed a full detail session.
I know we are not supposed to show "other" makes vehicles if we are not vendors so my intent is to only show the clay bar. Disregard the vehicle in the background please. I'd love to show the completed detail but I can't.
The clay bar was nice to use. It was 55 degrees out, maybe almost 60 in the sun. It was quite pliable.
I used half of one bar, so 40 grams for the entire vehicle.
I've used a lot of clay bars in the past. While I have to say they are similar, the Meguiars bar did seem quite soft and worked very well.
The picture is after washing the vehicle twice, a few days ago and again today to get it really clean for the detail.
I was really surprised how much came of the vehicle. The picture is from the two right side doors only. Not kidding. This is the most a claybar has ever picked up on any of my vehicles, by a long shot.
I don't know if the bar is more effective or the vehicle was just silly dirty. Maybe a little of both?
Still, I was able to fold it often enough that I finished with that one piece.
Seems like a great clay bar.
Thanks Autogeek.
Attached Images  
Old 04-09-2014, 08:45 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Glad to hear you saw the value in claying, it is a valid part of car care. Some of that "dirt" would have been grounded into the paint, so think of what happened by removing it with the aid of clay.

Quick Reply: Clay bar time