Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Xpel Ultimate care

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 07:20 PM
DezVette
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Xpel Ultimate care

I just recently had Xpel Ultimate installed on roughly 80% of my car. Afterwards the installer suggested using Xpel cleaner and Xpel sealer to care for the material. Just because they make a good clear bra, does that mean their protectant and sealer is superior to Pinacle Crystal Myst or Wolfgang sealants and detail spritz spray? Or is it good to continue using these same products and chalk it up as Xpel pushing further sales of their products with care instructions?
Old 04-06-2014, 07:41 PM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

I don't have Xpel, but the guy that installed my 3M said to use a good quality wax/sealant.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:33 PM
rrichar2591
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 182 Posts

I've had very good luck with a product called Plexus. I have used it for seven years or so and it's designed to work on all clear bra type material. I order mine from Autogeek.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:55 PM
XPEL
Supporting Vendor

Received 271 Likes on 159 Posts

Default XPEL Sealant

Dezvette,

XPEL Flawless Finish Film Sealant is essentially a polymer (phenol propyl polymer) that is chemically made for polyurethane paint protection film. It forms a hardened barrier when exposed to UV light to prevent discoloration, and fight against bug acids. This chemistry works with the structure of paint protection film, whereas waxes work with paint.

rrichar2591,

Plexus is not good for paint protection film. It has petroleum distillates that dry out the urethane and expand the pores, making it a dirt sponge. The product is also yellow in nature (look at the dried Plexus on the nozzle). It won’t yellow film immediately, but repeated use will cause yellowing over time. It’s difficult to see the yellowing occur on dark colored cars, but it still is harmful to the film.

The picture below shows two pieces of raw urethane that were run through accelerated weather testing. The left was untreated, the right was treated with plexus.
Name:  5579443729_90d0412377.jpg
Views: 1007
Size:  89.6 KB
Old 04-07-2014, 07:57 PM
rrichar2591
Drifting

http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/about.html

According to their website, I don't think Plexus is petroleum based like many other products are. I admit that I can't see yellowing when the car is yellow to begin with but there are several users here that seem happy with it. I have the Venture Shield product and Plexus came highly recommended by the installer. Seven years later, I'm still satisfied.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:05 PM
DezVette
Pro

Alright, the Xpel sealant for the 80% covered area every 3 months. But, what about the more frequent cleanings? Is it good to use Pinacle Liquid Crystal waterless wash with carnauba or what about Pinacle Crystal Myst detail spray?
Old 04-07-2014, 08:13 PM
rrichar2591
Drifting

I stand corrected! When I pull up a list of ingredients in Plexus, I see Petroleum distillates. However I'm still happy with the product.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:36 PM
Texas_Venom
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rrichar2591
I stand corrected! When I pull up a list of ingredients in Plexus, I see Petroleum distillates. However I'm still happy with the product.
Your car is yellow. I have personally seen what Plexus does to film... and it does cause it to yellow the material. I installed Ventureshield for 8 years so I know the product was recommended but also know that it yellows the film. Remove your film and it will be very obvious. Plexus is made for hard plastics, not urethane. So I HIGHLY recommend people stay away from it on their film.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:06 PM
rrichar2591
Drifting

Originally Posted by Texas_Venom
Your car is yellow. I have personally seen what Plexus does to film... and it does cause it to yellow the material. I installed Ventureshield for 8 years so I know the product was recommended but also know that it yellows the film. Remove your film and it will be very obvious. Plexus is made for hard plastics, not urethane. So I HIGHLY recommend people stay away from it on their film.
Thanks for the information. It is hard to see yellowing on a yellow car. Based on your experience, is there a product you would recommend for urethane? I'm learning a lot from this thread.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:23 AM
XPEL
Supporting Vendor

Received 271 Likes on 159 Posts

Default Xpel

Originally Posted by DezVette
Alright, the Xpel sealant for the 80% covered area every 3 months. But, what about the more frequent cleanings? Is it good to use Pinacle Liquid Crystal waterless wash with carnauba or what about Pinacle Crystal Myst detail spray?
Dezvette,

It is absolutely okay to use the products you mentioned. The waterless wash, carnauba, or detail spray will all work.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:39 AM
DezVette
Pro

Thank you.

I just placed an order for the Xpel sealant for use every 3 months as recommended. I was just curious because I have several bottles of the other product and if I were to only use it on the roof panel and rear facia (only parts of my car not covered with Xpel) it would take me forever to use it all up.

Get notified of new replies

To Xpel Ultimate care

Quick Reply: Xpel Ultimate care