Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Dual Action Polishers

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 02:19 AM
DezVette
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Dual Action Polishers

I am looking at picking up a dual action polisher and wanted to get a few thoughts of more experienced users than I.

I am looking at either the Meguiars G110v2 or the Porter Cable 7424 XP. The Meg has a wider speed range and goes down to 1800 opm with both topping out at 6800. The Meg also has added torque to keep the motor turning under added downward pressure during operation where the PC has the clutch unit that stops the rotation action. I do like the idea of the handle design on the Meg as opposed to the offset stick on the PC.

What are your thoughts on these two units? Is the Meg worth the $50 extra cost? Is there flexibility in which applicator pads you can use with these or are you restricted to using specific applicator pads made for that particular unit? How about the cost of replacement pads? Is there a big difference in operational costs to consider?
Old 04-01-2014, 09:04 AM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Operational cost are the same. Pads are the same, not unit specific. You can use any size pad on either machine. Just get the correct size backing plate. I have the PC and love it. I have never used the Meguiar's unit but $50 isn't much if you like the features it has over the PC. I replaced the power cord on my first PC after about 350 or so details. Get the one you want because you will never buy another one unless you want to. It's a lifetime purchase if you are just maintaining a few personal vehicles. Even after heavy use, mine held up well.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:37 AM
dewittomorrow
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was getting ready to post a similar question, so I'll just jump in since the topic is the same.
I've been looking at the PC and the Griot's 6" model.
For those that chose a particular brand/model, what was your reasoning?
Old 04-01-2014, 11:17 AM
DezVette
Pro

I will be having an Xpel Ultimate clear wrap applied to 90% of my car this weekend. Do you still need to apply wax and polish to the surface? Or is that not needed with the Xpel system?
Old 04-01-2014, 11:24 AM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DezVette
I will be having an Xpel Ultimate clear wrap applied to 90% of my car this weekend. Do you still need to apply wax and polish to the surface? Or is that not needed with the Xpel system?
I believe they will clean the surface before applying the Xpel. How much product it removes is unknown. I did polish and wax mine before the install just to get rid of the swirls and micro-scratches etc.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:31 AM
Bob Yocum
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been using a Megs DA polisher for about 3 years and well satisfied with it and I have better control with the overhead handle than I do with the polishers with the side stick handles and as far as pads I've been using pads I bought from Adams as they seem to hold up better than Megs pads in my opinion
Old 04-01-2014, 01:54 PM
DezVette
Pro

I meant do I need to polish and add wax after the Xpel is applied? Being that the polish is for painted surfaces and the Xpel will be a plastic coating, not a painted surface...
Old 04-01-2014, 03:21 PM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

No polish needed after the Xpel. I have the 3M Invisashield (sp) and was told to just wax it like the rest of the car.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:56 PM
Joz132
Pro

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by dewittomorrow
I have a PC, Flex & Griot's

The Griot's comes with a lifetime warranty ( I had to use this once, and it was an actual pleasure to deal with them).

I'd go with the Griot's if you're looking for a DA. The new Gen Griot's has a tad bit more power than the PC, and the lifetime warranty provides peace of mind.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:02 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

http://www.autogeek.net/bupo.html

Grab the Griots ... they all use the same parts and accessories. The Griots has the best warranty and is more powerful and smoother.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:29 PM
DezVette
Pro

The Griots and PC both have 2500-6800 opm where the Meguiars has 1800-6800. What scenarios would you utilize the lower opm settings?
Old 04-01-2014, 09:28 PM
dewittomorrow
Advanced

Originally Posted by Joz132
I have a PC, Flex & Griot's

The Griot's comes with a lifetime warranty ( I had to use this once, and it was an actual pleasure to deal with them).

I'd go with the Griot's if you're looking for a DA. The new Gen Griot's has a tad bit more power than the PC, and the lifetime warranty provides peace of mind.

The warranty was appealing to me as well and I was leaning that way, but it's always nice to hear from the experienced.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:29 PM
dewittomorrow
Advanced

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek

Grab the Griots ... they all use the same parts and accessories. The Griots has the best warranty and is more powerful and smoother.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:05 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by dewittomorrow
I was getting ready to post a similar question, so I'll just jump in since the topic is the same.
After much research and talking to Autogeek I went with the Griot's because of the added torque. I have had a PC but the torque factor was often not enough to keep the pad spinning when working on serious paint correction jobs. Great little machine, I use the 5.5" CCS pads with Menzerna polish products with superior results.: thumbs:
Old 04-18-2014, 09:19 AM
kssod
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
After much research and talking to Autogeek I went with the Griot's because of the added torque. I have had a PC but the torque factor was often not enough to keep the pad spinning when working on serious paint correction jobs. Great little machine, I use the 5.5" CCS pads with Menzerna polish products with superior results.: thumbs:
seems there are different opinions at AG. My phone rep reccommended the PC over the Griot because in his opinion it was better made and had less vibration.
I have 4 vehicles including C6 in Monterey red, that I need to detail.

Thinking of using:
Nanoskin fine for claying
PC with Wolfgang 3.0 for (black Jetta)orange pad
and Finish polish for (C6/MDX/535)white pad
top with NXT carnuba/glaze blue pad
possibly top that with Meg Ultimate paste

thoughts?

Still not sure which is better both in performance/comfort and durability PC or Griot
Old 04-19-2014, 02:03 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

The PC-XP is a fine tool and build very well, but I personally believe the Griots machine has a bit more power and works as well. In the end they both use the same accessories and your better with either one than without.

Stick with 5.5 inch pads, and a 5 inch flexible backing plate.

Spend some extra $$ on Pinnacle Liquid Souveran, Pinnacle SSII, or Blackfires Midnight Sun and you'll have a great wax after polishing that will enhance your look. Remember to visit the free sample area to try something with your order. These three will outperform your two step choice by a mile !
Old 05-12-2014, 07:09 PM
Wampa
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the PC from autogeek that I have seen great results on several vehicles using 6.5 pads and menzerna polishes...HOWEVER...I'm reading these threads because I've spend 4 days trying to get swirls out of my white c6 that were there when purchased. They are very fine but numerous; covering the entire car. I can't seem to make any impact on them at all....

Get notified of new replies

To Dual Action Polishers

Old 05-12-2014, 09:18 PM
kssod
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Wampa
I have the PC from autogeek that I have seen great results on several vehicles using 6.5 pads and menzerna polishes...HOWEVER...I'm reading these threads because I've spend 4 days trying to get swirls out of my white c6 that were there when purchased. They are very fine but numerous; covering the entire car. I can't seem to make any impact on them at all....
It's all in the pads and the product.

i detailed my wife's MDX, (red) yesterday. Clayed first with the nano skin then polished with Wolfgang finish polish, and topped with Wolfgang sealant.

There were several areas of fine swirl, and towel scratches over the whole car. The white polishing pad removed all of them and the the surface looked great.

I also had several large white rub marks along the bumper edge, from a box or something.

For this I tried the white pad and Wolfgang total swirl remover, which is a bit more abrasive, it did a great job, and I did not have to change to the more aggressive orange pad.

I was truly impressed with the Griot DA, no real difference from the PC, but it's the pad and product that corrects the paint.

I went with the Wolfgang because it seemed the pad determined the level of correction, and per AG, the Wolfgang product diminishes as it is used so I thought there was less chance of damaging the paint.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:22 PM
Wampa
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kssod
It's all in the pads and the product.

i detailed my wife's MDX, (red) yesterday. Clayed first with the nano skin then polished with Wolfgang finish polish, and topped with Wolfgang sealant.

There were several areas of fine swirl, and towel scratches over the whole car. The white polishing pad removed all of them and the the surface looked great.

I also had several large white rub marks along the bumper edge, from a box or something.

For this I tried the white pad and Wolfgang total swirl remover, which is a bit more abrasive, it did a great job, and I did not have to change to the more aggressive orange pad.

I was truly impressed with the Griot DA, no real difference from the PC, but it's the pad and product that corrects the paint.

I went with the Wolfgang because it seemed the pad determined the level of correction, and per AG, the Wolfgang product diminishes as it is used so I thought there was less chance of damaging the paint.
I agree. I'm frustrated because I've always been able to see great results; in less time, on other vehicles. Friend just used same polishes, same pads, same machine with my instructions and now has nearly flawless paint on older car. I spend another day on mine and still have circular fine swirls all over the car. I tried Menzerna Powergloss (very aggressive) with CCS yellow cutting pad, then with orange polishing pad. Then Pinnacle XMT 3 Intermediate swirl remover with both yellow and orange pad. then fine swirl remover for fun.... No change. On autogeek now reading other product descriptions....
Old 05-12-2014, 10:27 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek

Never go against the Geek. Griots DA all the way because of the added torque that really comes in handy for correction work. Lifetime warranty to boot.

Quick Reply: Dual Action Polishers