Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Harbor Freight D/A Polisher

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 09:06 PM
PHILLIE PHANATIC
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Harbor Freight D/A Polisher

Does anyone have the Harbor Freight D/A Polisher? I have a Porter Cable 7424XP, and I love it, but I'm tired of switching back and forth between the 7" & 4" pads. I was thinking of getting it for my 4" pad setup only. They have it on sale Jan 1-3 for $54.99, plus I have a 25% off coupon, I figured for that price I'd give it a try.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:35 PM
HRS KLR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought one and got the lake county backing plate and pads from autogeek. I have used it one time and it does what it is supposed to do.

I dont have anything to compare to and i am sure there will be responses that state anything harbor frieght sucks, but at half the price of the porter i think it was a good purchase.

One more thing, go to the magazine section at wally world and flip through the auto mags. I forget which one it is in, but there is a coupon for it for $45. It was in this months mag, see if you can use the 25% coupon on top of it

Last edited by HRS KLR; 12-23-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:27 PM
Daviddear30
Pro

Received 210 Likes on 72 Posts

I bought one for under $45. Love it. I did upgrade the backing plate with a 5" one from eBay though.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:16 PM
yamabob
Drifting

Received 744 Likes on 472 Posts

7" pad is way to much for the 7424
Old 12-27-2013, 07:36 AM
PHILLIE PHANATIC
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by yamabob
7" pad is way to much for the 7424
Why do you say that? I've had my PC for over a year now, I've detailed my 5 vehicles, my friends Jeep and both of my kids cars with Adam's Products 7" pads, I've had no problems.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:01 AM
yamabob
Drifting

Received 744 Likes on 472 Posts

I've been doing this a long time with many different products( pads-polish's-machines) I'm just stating this to let you know I'm not a beginner.
The PC and other D/A's work by simulating the random motion of a hand which is one reason they are good. They do not induce swirl marks like the rotaries (although they can by no properly priming pad and not cleaning). The PC has a rather short throw and is clutched. You want the oscillations to maximize the properties of the polish. The large ad on this machine causes too much friction and does not allow for full motion.
It is not like the Flex with has forced oscillation. I would seriously recommend nothing bigger than 5.5" pads with this machine. Order a couple Lake Country Smart pads from Autogeek and see what I mean. If you were close I'd tell ya to come over and see. I also find people not using enough pads or cleaning them often enough while polishing. I use a pad per panel and clean before i apply any more product to pad

Get notified of new replies

To Harbor Freight D/A Polisher

Quick Reply: Harbor Freight D/A Polisher