Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

zaino application procedure faq

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 06:13 PM
c3&c5 vets
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default zaino application procedure faq

i think someone of experience should write a zaino application procedure. i have read just about every post here and i still have questions, either because i haven't seen the answer or don't remember seeing the answer because they are spread throughout the instructions that come with the product, the forum, or the website.
i will be getting ready to do my new 03 in a week or two and would like to know the exact steps. So I guess I will ask when the time comes.

for example and these may not be correct, but this is the type of info i think should be included.

1. wash with dawn (how much dawn to a gallon of water)
2. use clay bar. how to make the wetting solution
3 wash with dawn again
4. dry car
5. either use z1 or use z2 with zfx. Apply with a wet applicator (dampened with what?
do you need separate applicators for each z product? Can you use a Fieldcrest towel as an applicator? If you need separate applicators have only 1 applicator, which z should you use with the applicator and which one with the towel.)
6 etc

any takers?
Old 07-09-2002, 07:12 PM
JJU
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: zaino application procedure faq (c3&c5 vets)

I'll give it a shot....

Look at the link below from the Zaino website: http://www.zainobros.com/files/application.htm

To answer you individual questions:
1. I have a 5 gallon bucket to wash my car. Dawn is very concentrated so one tablespoon is plenty mixed with 5 gallons of water. I'm usually not that precise and just give the bottle a little squirt.
2. I use diluted Z-7. 1/2 cap-full to a 16 oz. spray bottle will be sufficient.
3. Yes. I would wash with Dawn again after claybar use.
4. Absolutely dry your car before starting with the polish products.
5. Whatever your decision (Z-1 followed by Z-2 OR Z-2/ZFX), there is a difference when it comes to using the applicator. If you choose the Z-1 route, turn your applicator over when applying Z-2 or use another applicator. If you use ZFX, you can use the same applicator throughout the duration of your ZFX mixture. It is important to keep your applicator moist. I have never heard of using a Fieldcrest towel as an applicator "as is". (I've heard of customers cutting up their towels and creating an applicator with a piece of foam.) I do not recommend using a towel because it would be difficult to handle, control, and you will probably waste more polish than you apply to the paint. I suppose that you can if you have a strong urge to do so.
6. If you have a distributor in your area, ask for help. I frequently help my novice customers apply Zaino for the first time. If your distributor can't answer the question to your satisfaction, Sal Zaino is very helpful. Give him a call.
Old 07-09-2002, 07:43 PM
c3&c5 vets
Melting Slicks

Default Re: zaino application procedure faq (JJU)

thanks for the reply james. you've answered some questions.

and i have read the document on the zaino site more than once and there are still questions.

i have z1, z2, z5 and zfx. i would like to know which are the preferred products. since i have zfx, i don't need z1? or is 1 application of z1 recommended for the 1st application.

what do you moisten the applicator with? distilled water, z6? o r both depending on what product you are applying?

see, this is why a want, and probably a lot of others want, a detailed process, so we don't have to keep asking the same questions over and over. the search utility has beed degraded, so it's so hard to find anything now.

i just think if someone detailed the process, it would save a lot of redundant posts. i read the same questions and same answers but i still don't know the preferred methods and products to use.

if i knew the product, i would write one, but unfortunately i don't

[Modified by c3&c5 vets, 6:44 PM 7/9/2002]
Old 07-10-2002, 12:07 AM
JJU
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

Gary,

Please don't take my answer to your latest reply the wrong way. I understand why you want such an item as a (soon to be) Corvette owner. As a distributor of the product it would be an asset to myself and probably other distributors and customers to have such a document.

The fact is that to my knowledge there are no instructions written down in a document that would be at your required level of detail which you are requesting here and now. Believe me, as a distributor, you are the exception to what most of my customers want: simple, fast, easy to read and understand instructions. Sal Zaino's own words on the front page of his website say it the best, "...it is the easiest and fastest polish you will ever use." The chemicals that make Zaino the best polish on the market may be "rocket science" but applying it shouldn't be. The instructions on the website are proven methods for success. When I tried Zaino for the first time, these instructions seemed very clear. Other than applying it a little bit too think the first time out of the chute, the car looked great and is now an award winning vehicle. I picked up other tidbits here on this forum, on other forums, and through personal experience.

Forgive me if I presume too much but I believe that you want to have as much knowledge about the products before you acquire your new 2003. So, when you get your car, everything will just fall in to place without question. SO DID I TWO YEARS AGO!!! I hate to say this but the only way you're going to have all of your answers is with expereince.

I would love to help write "The Unabridged Guide to Applying Zaino". It's a hefty task that sounds interesting. However, I believe that such a publication must be authored by the maker of the product. There are people on this forum and else where who know much more than I do about Zaino because they've been around it longer than I have. Their knowledge on forums like this one are usually expressed to solve a single issue as the topic comes up for discussion. I don't think this forum was ever meant to be a repository of all Zaino knowledge. Consequently, the same questions will continue to get asked over and over and over again. I've grown to accept it.

So what's the answer? A proper knowledge base with proper search capabilities.

I'm sorry to say that this won't occur here on the Corvette Forum.

Does that sound like a wimpy excuse or what????? :jester

Anyone else willing to take on this challenge?
Old 07-10-2002, 12:17 AM
c3&c5 vets
Melting Slicks

Default Re: zaino application procedure faq (JJU)

james:

i didn't take it the wrong way. you're right, i am trying to gain as much knowledge as possible before i start the process. just figured i would tap the members knowledge and try to come up with a document to save redundant post and eliminate mistakes that members have encountered during the process.

thanks for your detailed reply
Old 07-10-2002, 12:27 AM
JJU
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

I guess I forgot to answer your specific questions. Please note that my experience with the product will influence the knowledge that I pass on here.

There are no "non-preferred products" when it comes to paint protection; only options. The products that you mention for paint protection offer two options. If you go with the Z-1/Z-2 option, your application time will take longer and cost you less. If you go with the ZFX/Z-2 option, your application time will increase significantly with a slight increase (less than $1) in cost and as some say, "Time is money." Hence, most have switched to using ZFX. In other words, there are no preferred products only personal choice. As a result, I still sell both Z-1 and ZFX.

If you use ZFX, you do not need to use Z-1.

To keep your applicator moist, I use Z-6. I know others that like to use water (be it distilled or out of the faucet). Again, it's personal preference based on ones own results.
Old 07-10-2002, 03:40 AM
Grzldvt
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I give every new customer a 4 page set of instructions detailing exactly what you are asking for.
Every time a customer calls with a question, I add the answer to the instructions. It grew from Sal's 2 page sheet to my 4 page.
I suppose I could submit it for the Tech Tips section, but would anyone go there first?
I would be curious about that. Maybe I will submit it anyway for yuks.
Old 07-10-2002, 07:47 AM
dwdmguy
Instructor

Default Re: zaino application procedure faq (Grzldvt)

Gents, is the new Z-5 ok to use with the
ZFX? Thank you.
Old 07-10-2002, 09:13 AM
C5 StockSwap
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

I give every new customer a 4 page set of instructions detailing exactly what you are asking for.
Every time a customer calls with a question, I add the answer to the instructions. It grew from Sal's 2 page sheet to my 4 page.
I suppose I could submit it for the Tech Tips section, but would anyone go there first?
I would be curious about that. Maybe I will submit it anyway for yuks.
Steve: I think this would be a great start. It should go on the tips page.

Jack: I totally agree that just starting to use the products will bring everything into focus. I was just as inquisitive before I started, but once I had the car and applied the product a few times, it all became as clear as the finish on my 02.

Gary: To quote a small athletic shoe company from Oregon....Just Do It!!!

[Modified by C5 StockSwap, 7:14 AM 7/10/2002]
Old 07-16-2002, 11:51 AM
VetNutJim
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Default Re: zaino application procedure faq (C5 StockSwap)

Those al_u_Mini_UM Beezels look GREAT!!
Do you have Zaino on them?:)

:)
Old 07-16-2002, 07:18 PM
C5 StockSwap
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: zaino application procedure faq (VetNutJim)

No Zaino...just a little superglue underneath.

I love em! :smash:
Old 07-17-2002, 09:31 AM
Steve Treece
Instructor

Default Re: zaino application procedure faq (dwdmguy)

ZFX can be used with Z-2, Z-3, or Z-5. Remember to use very small amounts of Zaino. 3/4oz should yield 3 coats on a 'Vette.
Old 07-19-2002, 02:22 PM
Homer2000SSEi
Advanced

Like Steve , I also have a "new users guide" that i sat down one weekend and typed up. It is 6 pages long, and covers some non-zaino issues like how you may wish to wash, options for drying etc .

It does not include ZFX, as it wasnt out when i did it.

I have emailed in the range of 1000 times this year to folks from other boards who have asked (its in Word format) - and it still needs work.

I do not claim to know any more than anyone else on this board - in fact, there are likely dozens of guys with more experience than my two years with the product, on this board alone.

if you want it, i would gladly send it to you - simply shoot me a mail at dennis@mossmans.com , and if it helps - well that would be great.

cheers :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To zaino application procedure faq

Quick Reply: zaino application procedure faq