Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Weekly Car Washes

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 11:24 PM
Suzukibooii247
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weekly Car Washes

Hello, I was wondering what everybody does weekly to keep your Vette clean. It seems like by the end of the week, the whole car is covered in dust. So if ya'll could tell me what you do on a regular basis to keep your Vette clean that would be great! Also how often do you do a "huge" cleaning, and what does that consist of? Thanks a ton!!!
Old 09-30-2013, 08:31 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Mine is garaged and not a DD. I wash it very infrequently ( last wash was recent but prior I went almost two years) but do do a quick detail spray down every drive and I use the California duster too.

If your car is a DD and is outside a weekly wash would be recommended at the very least along with a quality protective coat of a sealant or wax. Just understand that the wax will have to be applied on a monthly basis and the sealant will last longer depending on which product.

Personally a weekly wash and after a few coats of a good sealant I would booster the sealant after every wash with a easy spray product.

Don't forget to do a semi annual clay bar or use the Nano skin product which is my preference. These will remove all contaminants and leave the paint smooth. To see if you have a problem just rub the paint with a baggie on your hand, it should be smooth and if not your need the clay/Nano skin.

The Forum has a Care Care section which you will find useful.

Last edited by Boomer111; 09-30-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:25 AM
Suzukibooii247
Advanced

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Mine is garaged and not a DD. I wash it very infrequently ( last wash was recent but prior I went almost two years) but do do a quick detail spray down every drive and I use the California duster too.

If your car is a DD and is outside a weekly wash would be recommended at the very least along with a quality protective coat of a sealant or wax. Just understand that the wax will have to be applied on a monthly basis and the sealant will last longer depending on which product.

Personally a weekly wash and after a few coats of a good sealant I would booster the sealant after every wash with a easy spray product.

Don't forget to do a semi annual clay bar or use the Nano skin product which is my preference. These will remove all contaminants and leave the paint smooth. To see if you have a problem just rub the paint with a baggie on your hand, it should be smooth and if not your need the clay/Nano skin.

The Forum has a Care Care section which you will find useful.
Thanks for the reply, I have been thinking about getting one of those California dusters for a while, but I'll definitely pick one up. Thanks for all the info, and I'll definitely search the forum some more!
Old 10-02-2013, 07:57 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

My car is only driven during the summer months and in the 12+ years I've had it, has never been driven in the rain or washed. I typically put about 800-900 miles on it a year. I use a California Duster to get off any light dust. I wipe my car down with detail spray using microfiber towels every time I drive it. Since I don't drive in the rain, it really never gets very dirty. I also wipe down my wheels every time I drive it, and pull them off once a month or so to clean the barrels.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Suzukibooii247
Advanced

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
My car is only driven during the summer months and in the 12+ years I've had it, has never been driven in the rain or washed. I typically put about 800-900 miles on it a year. I use a California Duster to get off any light dust. I wipe my car down with detail spray using microfiber towels every time I drive it. Since I don't drive in the rain, it really never gets very dirty. I also wipe down my wheels every time I drive it, and pull them off once a month or so to clean the barrels.
Yeah i never drive mine in the rain, and im definitely going to pick up a California Duster, and what detail spray do you use?
Old 10-02-2013, 01:52 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

First things first, get yourself set up with a 2-bucket wash setup to minimize the damage to your clear coat.

As far as maintenance above and beyond washing, get it clay barred and keep a fresh coat of sealant or wax on it to act as a sacrificial barrier between your clean coat and the environment.

Take a look through our videos when you have time, TONS of helpful info in there on every aspect of detailing.

Adam's Instructional Videos
Old 10-02-2013, 02:59 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Suzukibooii247
Yeah i never drive mine in the rain, and im definitely going to pick up a California Duster, and what detail spray do you use?
I use C-Magic detail spray and wax.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:24 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I drove my first Vette daily and washed it weekly. I currently wash each of my families -3- daily drivers weekly every Saturday morning. There are several items to consider to help making the chore quick and bearable ....

1. Foam Gun -- Presoak
2. Rinseless Wash --- Optimum No Rinse for light dirty automobiles
3. Daytona Wheel Brush --- Always clean the wheel barrels, otherwise it stands out
4. Master Blaster --- Blow off all excess water quickly
5. MF towels --- thick, soft, absorbent towels help with sprays and rinseless wash
6. Spray Wax/ Spray Sealants --- boosters to keep your protection lasting longer, which means less wax sessions.
7. Coatings --- consider a years worth of protection in one application. Use good wash/dry techniques to avoid need to polish and start over.

Shop www.autogeek.net .... everything you need in one place.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:03 PM
Suzukibooii247
Advanced

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
I drove my first Vette daily and washed it weekly. I currently wash each of my families -3- daily drivers weekly every Saturday morning. There are several items to consider to help making the chore quick and bearable ....

1. Foam Gun -- Presoak
2. Rinseless Wash --- Optimum No Rinse for light dirty automobiles
3. Daytona Wheel Brush --- Always clean the wheel barrels, otherwise it stands out
4. Master Blaster --- Blow off all excess water quickly
5. MF towels --- thick, soft, absorbent towels help with sprays and rinseless wash
6. Spray Wax/ Spray Sealants --- boosters to keep your protection lasting longer, which means less wax sessions.
7. Coatings --- consider a years worth of protection in one application. Use good wash/dry techniques to avoid need to polish and start over.

Shop www.autogeek.net .... everything you need in one place.
Thanks for the link, that place seems awesome
Old 10-02-2013, 07:26 PM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Not washing your car is probably not a good idea with medium to darker colors.
Swirls are hard to see on lighter colors or silver, but they will jump right out on a darker car.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:45 PM
Suzukibooii247
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nick@Adams
First things first, get yourself set up with a 2-bucket wash setup to minimize the damage to your clear coat.

As far as maintenance above and beyond washing, get it clay barred and keep a fresh coat of sealant or wax on it to act as a sacrificial barrier between your clean coat and the environment.

Take a look through our videos when you have time, TONS of helpful info in there on every aspect of detailing.

Adam's Instructional Videos
Great Videos!!! That 2 bucket setup definitely looks like the way to do it
Old 10-02-2013, 10:47 PM
Suzukibooii247
Advanced

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
I use C-Magic detail spray and wax.
Okay awesome!
Old 10-02-2013, 10:48 PM
Suzukibooii247
Advanced

Originally Posted by JVM225
Not washing your car is probably not a good idea with medium to darker colors.
Swirls are hard to see on lighter colors or silver, but they will jump right out on a darker car.
Luckily i have silver.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:53 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Oldtimer

Luckily i have silver.
I don't have hardly any swirl marks in my paint, but the few that I do have are difficult to see.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:53 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

California Duster and detail spray. Also begin each year with a coat of Rejex.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:05 PM
Suzukibooii247
Advanced

Originally Posted by dvilin
California Duster and detail spray. Also begin each year with a coat of Rejex.
That definitely seems like the best way to go
Old 10-03-2013, 01:00 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Oldtimer

That definitely seems like the best way to go
I think the secret with a California Duster is not to apply a great deal of pressure when you're going over your car. I just barely touch the paint with mine, and shake out my duster frequently.

Get notified of new replies

To Weekly Car Washes

Old 10-03-2013, 09:32 PM
avizandum
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an unlimited wash card for my corner car wash. My DD summer/fall/winter/spring with 90k miles sees the wash two to four times a week. Looks like new.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:39 PM
sdk
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

I wash my 'Vette when she is dirty and I have the time. She is my daily driver. I welcome a rain shower when she is dirty to carry me over until bath time. I wax her 2-3 times a year. She was a garage queen under her previous owner, but I have freed her from her bondage to roam the roads on a daily basis. She was born to run!!!!
Old 10-04-2013, 09:19 AM
Suzukibooii247
Advanced

Originally Posted by sdk
She was born to run!!!!
That's what I'm saying!!

Quick Reply: Weekly Car Washes