Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

My NXT went in the trash can

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 11:20 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Default My NXT went in the trash can

I was finally able to detail my 2013 Tundra the third week of May. Washed, clayed, and waxed with NXT. The NXT seemed a little difficult to remove, almost like it was leaving a smeared finish which required a lot of wiping to remove it. Bought another bottle and experienced the same thing.
Fast forward to today where the truck had it's first wash using Meguiar's soap since applying NXT. There was not a hint of wax left on the paint anywhere. This time around I am trying some Collinite 845 on one side to see if it lasts longer than the NXT. On the other side will use Mothers FX SynWax. Both are pretty easy to apply and remove so time will tell which holds up longer.

I been a fan of NXT for a few years and always found it just a little difficult to remove but thought it was long lasting. I was wrong. 10 weeks (or less) without a wash and no protection remained. The truck is not garaged.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:30 AM
chupr0kabra
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had similar experiences with NXT. Good shine, but not much durability. Collinite is supposed to be one of the most durable waxes out there, so that should be a different experience.

You might want to consider a sealant for a non-garaged vehicle like your truck. I use Blackfire Wet Diamond on my Tacoma (pyrite mica), and it seems to hold up very well. It's due for another application, but it has been about six months.

-Mike
Old 08-07-2013, 09:51 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

I've been giving a sealant a lot of thought. Will see how long the 845 lasts but am considering one of the newer sealants like Opti-coat down the road. Truck is a dark metallic green that looks absolutely gorgeous when freshly waxed.
But NXT....

I do have some Blackfire liquid but have only used it on my Grand Sport which is garaged. But we had to drive home in a rain storm on Sunday and noticed the water just couldn't stick to the car. Maybe the BlackFire lasts a lot longer than I give it credit for. I think it has been on the car for at least 2 months.

Last edited by Snowwolfe; 08-07-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:03 AM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
I had similar experiences with NXT. Good shine, but not much durability. Collinite is supposed to be one of the most durable waxes out there, so that should be a different experience.

You might want to consider a sealant for a non-garaged vehicle like your truck. I use Blackfire Wet Diamond on my Tacoma (pyrite mica), and it seems to hold up very well. It's due for another application, but it has been about six months.

-Mike
Excellent advice.......^
Old 08-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Maybe Black Ice lasts longer than I give it credit for. Think I'll drop the Mothers idea and do half the truck with the 845 and the other half with Blackfire. I did notice Blackfire is easier to apply and wipe off plus has a super slick feeling to it. Might as well use it on the truck and see how long it lasts outside in the sun.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by snowwolfe
I've been giving a sealant a lot of thought. Will see how long the 845 lasts but am considering one of the newer sealants like Opti-coat down the road. Truck is a dark metallic green that looks absolutely gorgeous when freshly waxed.
But NXT....

I do have some Black Diamond liquid but have only used it on my Grand Sport which is garaged. But we had to drive home in a rain storm on Sunday and noticed the water just couldn't stick to the car. Maybe the Black Ice lasts a lot longer than I give it credit for. I think it has been on the car for at least 2 months.
The durability of sealants vs. wax isn't even a contest if we are taking about vehicles that are not garage queens.....

It's 100 degrees here in Texas and a fresh wax on a black car left out in the sun daily won't last longer than a week or two because the high temps eventually melt the base down to nothing. Sealants will last longer if they are applied correctly...

That said, some folks don't mind washing and waxing on weekends so that changes everything.....

It's all up to what the owner wants and the time he has to maintain it...

Old 08-07-2013, 10:17 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,358 Likes on 14,009 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I use Turtle Wax Ice paste wax on my car and it does a very good job of protecting the car, goes on/comes off easily with no white residue and gives a very good shine. Just another product to consider.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Maybe Black Ice lasts longer than I give it credit for. Think I'll drop the Mothers idea and do half the truck with the 845 and the other half with Blackfire. I did notice Blackfire is easier to apply and wipe off plus has a super slick feeling to it. Might as well use it on the truck and see how long it lasts outside in the sun.
Make it simple....

Polish the hood and the trunk lid with something / anything to get the surface clean for fair for a test result.

Then do one half with what ever wax you like and the other half with what ever sealant you like.

Give it a few weeks and after car washes and or rain and watch how the water beads off the car as the weeks progress. Look at the size of the droplets and the tightness vs, larger sheets of standing water....

Side by side stuff is a great way to see how long products last if the prep work was done to make it a fair test.....
Old 08-07-2013, 10:31 AM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I use Turtle Wax Ice paste wax on my car and it does a very good job of protecting the car, goes on/comes off easily with no white residue and gives a very good shine. Just another product to consider.
Have you ever tried a sealant on your car after a machine polish....?

The results are quite often amazing.....

The machine polish being the biggest eye opener.....
Old 08-07-2013, 10:57 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dave1
Make it simple....

Polish the hood and the trunk lid with something / anything to get the surface clean for fair for a test result.

Then do one half with what ever wax you like and the other half with what ever sealant you like.

Give it a few weeks and after car washes and or rain and watch how the water beads off the car as the weeks progress. Look at the size of the droplets and the tightness vs, larger sheets of standing water....

Side by side stuff is a great way to see how long products last if the prep work was done to make it a fair test.....
No trunk, its a truck But it was just washed and will be clayed. Left side will be done with the 845 and the right side will be done with the BlackFire. Hoping BlackFire wins because it is so easy to apply and super slick.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:15 AM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

No trunk, its a truck But it was just washed and will be clayed. Left side will be done with the 845 and the right side will be done with the BlackFire. Hoping BlackFire wins because it is so easy to apply and super slick.
845 is some real good wax, it's the best for durability but don't apply it in the sun or if your paint is hot. It can be hard to remove if spread generously.....

Take some pictures and post them up, I'd like to see that you end up with.....

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...50310824,d.b2I
Old 08-07-2013, 11:15 AM
CheckeredFlag
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I recently tried Finish Kare paste wax, and so far, really like it
Old 08-07-2013, 06:02 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by CheckeredFlag
I recently tried Finish Kare paste wax, and so far, really like it
which one ??? 1000p is a hidden gem
Old 08-07-2013, 07:39 PM
LSnights09
Advanced

Sealants are awesome. I recently sealed my car with Garry Dean's "Beyond Infinity" sealant. You cannot beat this product for price or ease of use. You literally wipe it on and that's it. I applied three thin coats with a microfiber cloth and I must say I'm impressed. I maintain it with his "Infinite Use Detail Juice" detailing spray and it's a very lasting finish. Beads water like no tomorrow. You can't beat these products for the price.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:50 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by LSnights09
Sealants are awesome. I recently sealed my car with Garry Dean's "Beyond Infinity" sealant. You cannot beat this product for price or ease of use. You literally wipe it on and that's it. I applied three thin coats with a microfiber cloth and I must say I'm impressed. I maintain it with his "Infinite Use Detail Juice" detailing spray and it's a very lasting finish. Beads water like no tomorrow. You can't beat these products for the price.
You might want to try a product called Permanon Platinum ... you mix it with purified water and spritz onto clean paint. You then wash off with hose water and dry as normal. It sheets water for 2 months and adds a lot of gloss. No rubbing on or buffing off.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:54 PM
LSnights09
Advanced

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
You might want to try a product called Permanon Platinum ... you mix it with purified water and spritz onto clean paint. You then wash off with hose water and dry as normal. It sheets water for 2 months and adds a lot of gloss. No rubbing on or buffing off.
That's pretty sweet. I'll take a look at it.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:56 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Two words, Klasse Twins.

Acrylic sits on top of paint. Long lasting protection. Wax may be applied on top if desired.

A little goes a looong way, do not over apply.

Been around for decades.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:16 PM
important
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

So, whats the difference between a sealant and a wax?

Do either harm the paint (have any abrasives)?

Sorry to hear that NXT doesnt last too long. I really like the product but will have to reconsider if the protection is questionable.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:59 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by important
So, whats the difference between a sealant and a wax?

Do either harm the paint (have any abrasives)?

Sorry to hear that NXT doesnt last too long. I really like the product but will have to reconsider if the protection is questionable.
Wax --- traditional 'nuba based formulas can be pure protection or AIO which contain abrasives and cleaning agents.

Sealant --- simply, a synthetic wax. You can again find them in pure paint protection and those with cleaners and polishes.

The reason a lot of these products come with light abrasives is to make paint look new and remove oxidation. Most individuals buy the store AIO versions and don't do every step in car care separately and using a specialized product. With correct usage both product types are safe and effective, but follow directions and understand the product and what its meant to do before 1st use.

Get notified of new replies

To My NXT went in the trash can

Quick Reply: My NXT went in the trash can