Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Wax Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 09:02 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 622 Posts

Default Wax Question

Seen ads for special waxes for white cars and black cars. What is done to make these waxes special for white or black cars ?
Old 06-20-2013, 06:34 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The clear coat is the final original equipment manufacturers coating applied to a vehicle to protect the (base) colour coat from environmental damage, while providing both depth and a durable, glossy appearance, originally designed to protect and enhance metallic paints, but is now applied to all colours.

Claims that certain waxes are formulated and / or manufactured for specific paint types, paint colours or made specifically for a certain vehicle marquee or that they are matched to particular characteristics of individual paint systems has absolutely no factual chemical basis, it’s merely marketing hype.

Any product applied on top of the clear coat needs to be transparent otherwise both the paint colour and its depth of shine will be muted.I will concede that some waxes look better when used on light or dark coloured paints.

A wax that is formulated with high oil content produces jetting or ripple effect (the so-called ‘wet-look) by diffuse reflection and seems to enhance dark colours, whereas higher polymer content will enhance light colours due to spatial reflection, similar to water on a mirrored surface

An applied wax protection is less than 0.1 µ; so the suggestion that a coating this thin could change or even enhance a colour doesn’t sound very plausible to me. Although waxes and polymers do have differing light reflectance properties and differing paint colours will reflect light differently according to their Light Reflective Value (LRV)

Old 06-20-2013, 07:08 AM
Sleper
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

IMO it is like shoe polish. It fills in the scratches with a color that is close to the manufacturers temporarly hiding imperfections. I would suggest using a high quality synthetic wax
Old 06-20-2013, 04:25 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 622 Posts

I have been using Black Fire products . I used there polish ,sealant , midnight sun wax and been very happy with my TR finish. I just have been seeing ads for the special waxes and was wondering what made them special for white or black color cars. More a curiosity question.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:25 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Color charged waxes can do some filling depending on the design and ingredients. They "seem" to offer a slight difference in color and often look a bit warmer. Obviously like most sealants and waxes, the outcome and look is usually most dependent on the work done to paint and the owners personal feelings.

If you are looking for color charged waxes for other colors like red, look to the Dodo Juice line. I suspect you will find Hard Candy very nice on reds and a lot of other colors too.

http://www.autogeek.net/about-dodo-juice-wax.html

Get notified of new replies

To Wax Question

Quick Reply: Wax Question