Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Odd results with 303 protectant

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 10:27 AM
Dale1990
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Default Odd results with 303 protectant

On the interior panels, I had been using Meguiars Natural Shine but I didn't care for the shine or how it attracts dust. Based on reading various forum posts it seemed like 303 might be a better option.

This weekend I tried it out on a door panel and it left behind a grey, almost chalky, finish with a lot of streaking. Any ideas on what is going on here? Is it some kind of incompatibility with the Meguiars product, perhaps?

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2013, 11:41 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

303 contains has very slight cleaning ability and therefore should be applied to a freashly cleaned surface
Old 06-17-2013, 12:53 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 344 Likes on 214 Posts

I'd use Lemon Pledge.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:57 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 115 Posts

I use Meguiars Natural Shine and love the shine (or lack there of). I never liked that whole "wet" look on the dash and trim.

In any case, to remove/clean the dash I usually do the following.

In a small bowl, add a couple drops of dish soap and fill with water.
Dip terry cloth in soapy water and wring out.
Cloth should be damp but not dripping wet.
Wipe the dash area clean.
Dry with another cloth.

Now you can apply your new protectant.

This is the same method I use when I need to remove white haze on the door trim left behind by my wife's lotion covered arms.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:34 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Isn't dish soap so powerful, it is the go to remover for oil sludge on animals that had been contaminated after an oil spill?

Would it be safer to use a mild commercial vinyl/plastic cleaner to avoid any drying out effect?
Old 06-17-2013, 04:56 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by victorf
Isn't dish soap so powerful, it is the go to remover for oil sludge on animals that had been contaminated after an oil spill?

Would it be safer to use a mild commercial vinyl/plastic cleaner to avoid any drying out effect?
I won't say it is not impossible to "over dry" with dish soap but in the years I have been doing this, it has never been an issue. With the 2 or 3 drops in the bowl, the dish soap will be very diluted once I fill the bowl with water. The towel is just dipped in and then I wring out all the water. Making the rag just damp to the touch. I, of course, follow it up with a trim protectant to add UV protection and prevent drying, cracking, and fading.

I only do this when needed. I will use a vinyl cleaner first and if it works, that's all I need to do. But there are times I need something stronger.

On new 2013 GS, the driver side door panel had these weird "faded" streaks going up and down. At first I just added some trim protectant and everything was black and even...for about 2 days. The lighter black almost gray streaks came back. I used a vinyl & plastic cleaner, followed with my trip protectant and everything was black and even....for about 5 days. Using my dish soap method, cleaned the area, and followed with my trip protectant. Everything is black and even....since. Been 4 months now.

My only guess is that the dealer used some crap on the door panels that faded and/or dried weird. Once I got it off and used my own stuff the issue went away.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:03 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Homer3D
I won't say it is not impossible to "over dry" with dish soap but in the years I have been doing this, it has never been an issue. With the 2 or 3 drops in the bowl, the dish soap will be very diluted once I fill the bowl with water. The towel is just dipped in and then I wring out all the water. Making the rag just damp to the touch. I, of course, follow it up with a trim protectant to add UV protection and prevent drying, cracking, and fading.

I only do this when needed. I will use a vinyl cleaner first and if it works, that's all I need to do. But there are times I need something stronger.

On new 2013 GS, the driver side door panel had these weird "faded" streaks going up and down. At first I just added some trim protectant and everything was black and even...for about 2 days. The lighter black almost gray streaks came back. I used a vinyl & plastic cleaner, followed with my trip protectant and everything was black and even....for about 5 days. Using my dish soap method, cleaned the area, and followed with my trip protectant. Everything is black and even....since. Been 4 months now.

My only guess is that the dealer used some crap on the door panels that faded and/or dried weird. Once I got it off and used my own stuff the issue went away.
Thanks.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:37 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

As offered the surface should be free of any past product as possible. I would wipe down with a damp towel with a little APC on it. You should then be fine applying the 303 Protectant.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:44 PM
Dale1990
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Thanks everyone! I'll hit it with a mild cleaner and try it again.

Get notified of new replies

To Odd results with 303 protectant

Quick Reply: Odd results with 303 protectant