Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

New C6 Corvette owner, need help selecting care cover for transport to new state

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 09:21 PM
Kung-Fu Jesus
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New C6 Corvette owner, need help selecting care cover for transport to new state

Howdy, so I received a 2009 vette from my wife as a graduation present from medical school with 9,000 miles on it. (She's a keeper) But my residency is in Florida and I live in Texas. It is ~$850 to ship enclosed, ~$500 to ship open, and ~$220 to rent an autotrailer to tow behind the Uhaul. The kind where all 4wheels are off the ground, not the tow dolly.

What is the best car cover to buy for this situation? I think it should be custom for a vette, not a 1 size fits all. It should have a very soft inner lining and gromets to tie it down securely while on the trailer. But there are a ton. Does anyone have experience with this? Can I just get a Noah cover from one of the vendors on this site and call it a day?

Speed is limited to 55mph in the truck with the trailer and I've done a lot of research on the logistics of getting it onto the trailer (not that hard actually), and it seems that this way I get a very nice car cover for the same price as it would cost to ship it OPEN and this way, it's actually pretty enclosed. (It's only seen rain once).

Any thoughts, advice and especially experience would be greatly appreciated! I leave in 10 days!
Old 05-28-2013, 09:57 PM
1320IN9
Le Mans Master

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Kung-Fu Jesus
Howdy, so I received a 2009 vette from my wife as a graduation present from medical school with 9,000 miles on it. (She's a keeper) But my residency is in Florida and I live in Texas. It is ~$850 to ship enclosed, ~$500 to ship open, and ~$220 to rent an autotrailer to tow behind the Uhaul. The kind where all 4wheels are off the ground, not the tow dolly.

What is the best car cover to buy for this situation? I think it should be custom for a vette, not a 1 size fits all. It should have a very soft inner lining and gromets to tie it down securely while on the trailer. But there are a ton. Does anyone have experience with this? Can I just get a Noah cover from one of the vendors on this site and call it a day?

Speed is limited to 55mph in the truck with the trailer and I've done a lot of research on the logistics of getting it onto the trailer (not that hard actually), and it seems that this way I get a very nice car cover for the same price as it would cost to ship it OPEN and this way, it's actually pretty enclosed. (It's only seen rain once).

Any thoughts, advice and especially experience would be greatly appreciated! I leave in 10 days!
do not put a cover on it, the wind from going down the highway will flap around and burn through your clearcoat, just leave it uncovered. i know someone that messed up his car bad from a cover rubbing on the paint for 1200 miles down the interstate...
Old 05-28-2013, 10:32 PM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Congrats on your graduation!

I would put a good coat of wax on her (C6) and tow it uncovered for reasons posted above.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:58 PM
Kung-Fu Jesus
Heel & Toe

That's interesting, thanks for the advice guys! I know I'll be worried about her all the way down there with rocks and grit. maybe I'll just get a bra to calm my nerves. For the C6.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:46 PM
leebay
Drifting

Received 617 Likes on 389 Posts

That's interesting, thanks for the advice guys! I know I'll be worried about her all the way down there with rocks and grit. maybe I'll just get a bra to calm my nerves. For the C6.
If you choose to haul it on open carrier ask for it to be put on top, this will help avoid rock chips and fluids dripping down from other vehicles when using a big nine car hauler. I have had several cars shipped open carrier and most drivers use 3/4 ton or a Dually pulling a flat bed trailor, never had any problems using a 2 or 3 car hauler.

Good Luck in your plans.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:37 AM
Bandit's C4
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Central PA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

There are temporary films (like a static cling film) which folks use on leading and trailing edges for show vehicles in transit.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:02 AM
Icetoad
Pro

i rented tow behind as you described from uhaul, i am not sure a vette would be able to clear the ramp, you may want to double check that, especially if you have added any skirts or lowered the car. Same goes for hiring an open hauler.

Funny story: The one i rented worked great, except that my cousin unhooked it from the uhaul that was towing it shortly before we removed the car. Luckily the car made it off the trailer without damage, but the uhaul back door didnt survive(yay for uhaul insurance!). All i can say is that i was wondering why my cousin was frantically waving for me to gun it.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:39 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Temporary Protective Film (PTF)

Transportwrap -will provide your vehicle with a temporary layer of protection to preserve your automotive exterior finish during transport or a very long road trip. Even if you are planning to transport your vehicle via enclosed carrier, this product can provide additional protection from unnecessary scratches or fluid dripping from a vehicle stored or stacked above. You can also apply it around door edges, key entry lock, fender edges, etc. for added peace of mind during open/enclosed transport.

The manufacturer recommends it be left on for a maximum of 30 days; these conditions are involving direct sunlight and moving at high speeds above 60mph. If you are putting the vehicle on a boat and it will occasionally not be in the sunlight

I have seen it last longer than that without issue. Transportwrap has a low tack adhesive designed for not only easy application, but also very easy removal. They use a rubber based adhesive that is just strong enough to resist edge lift during transport (high wind speeds) but can easily be removed without leaving any residue, nor pulling up any automotive vinyl decals that are securely fixed on
• Simple pressure sensitive application
• Re-applicable
• Adheres evenly over contours
• Resists edges lifting during transit

Specs: thickness - 3.0 Mil, colour white, size-contours of vehicle 24 inches x 20 feet, adhesive - rubber with edge lifting resistance. Durability - Protects up to 1 Month / 30 Days on Vehicle

Note: an average size sports car requires a single roll, which covers and protects the hood, roof and trunk. 2 rolls will also cover the sides of the vehicle (minus the wheel wells) and three roles will allow you to cover the remainder of the vehicle (front/rear bumpers, spoilers, etc.). Vehicles vary in size and shape. Please note that even dealerships do not cover the entire vehicle

Application- provide a clean surface; even though moisture entrapment is not an issue with the TPF film, any foreign particulate matter trapped underneath any film or tape may have the ability to migrate into the clear coat. Heavy amounts of dust and lint settling onto the paint finish will interfere with the film’s ability to properly seal to the surface. Any excess amounts of dried polishing compound residues left over from paint finesse operations should also be wiped clean.

Dispense a length of film from the dispenser large enough to cover the entire panel. Should it be necessary to combine two or three sections of film, overlap the film by at least one inch to create a strong seam? The film will permanently bond to itself creating one continuous section.
After applying the film to the paint surface, smooth the TPF film over the paint surface using a 100% cotton towel. Wrinkles and air bubbles are not a major issue in the compatibility of the film with the paint finish since the film is “breathable; However, a smoother film provides better film retention and superior protection from potential paint surface mutilations.
Removal Process: Film is designed to peel easily from the paint surface at an ambient temperature between 60°F and 90°F. To remove film from vehicle, place in wash bay or covered area and wet film thoroughly using ordinary tap water from a garden hose or standard manual pressure washer to cool or warm vehicle body for film removal. Never use hot water to remove the temporary protective coating. Peel film back from corner to allow water to penetrate underneath film. It is most efficient to combine the peeling of the coating off with one hand while directing the pressure water with the other.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:53 AM
Kung-Fu Jesus
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by TOGWT
Transportwrap -will provide your vehicle with a temporary layer of protection to preserve your automotive exterior finish during transport or a very long road trip. Even if you are planning to transport your vehicle via enclosed carrier, this product can provide additional protection from unnecessary scratches or fluid dripping from a vehicle stored or stacked above. You can also apply it around door edges, key entry lock, fender edges, etc. for added peace of mind during open/enclosed transport.

The manufacturer recommends it be left on for a maximum of 30 days; these conditions are involving direct sunlight and moving at high speeds above 60mph. If you are putting the vehicle on a boat and it will occasionally not be in the sunlight

I have seen it last longer than that without issue. Transportwrap has a low tack adhesive designed for not only easy application, but also very easy removal. They use a rubber based adhesive that is just strong enough to resist edge lift during transport (high wind speeds) but can easily be removed without leaving any residue, nor pulling up any automotive vinyl decals that are securely fixed on
• Simple pressure sensitive application
• Re-applicable
• Adheres evenly over contours
• Resists edges lifting during transit

Specs: thickness - 3.0 Mil, colour white, size-contours of vehicle 24 inches x 20 feet, adhesive - rubber with edge lifting resistance. Durability - Protects up to 1 Month / 30 Days on Vehicle

Note: an average size sports car requires a single roll, which covers and protects the hood, roof and trunk. 2 rolls will also cover the sides of the vehicle (minus the wheel wells) and three roles will allow you to cover the remainder of the vehicle (front/rear bumpers, spoilers, etc.). Vehicles vary in size and shape. Please note that even dealerships do not cover the entire vehicle

Application- provide a clean surface; even though moisture entrapment is not an issue with the TPF film, any foreign particulate matter trapped underneath any film or tape may have the ability to migrate into the clear coat. Heavy amounts of dust and lint settling onto the paint finish will interfere with the film’s ability to properly seal to the surface. Any excess amounts of dried polishing compound residues left over from paint finesse operations should also be wiped clean.

Dispense a length of film from the dispenser large enough to cover the entire panel. Should it be necessary to combine two or three sections of film, overlap the film by at least one inch to create a strong seam? The film will permanently bond to itself creating one continuous section.
After applying the film to the paint surface, smooth the TPF film over the paint surface using a 100% cotton towel. Wrinkles and air bubbles are not a major issue in the compatibility of the film with the paint finish since the film is “breathable; However, a smoother film provides better film retention and superior protection from potential paint surface mutilations.
Removal Process: Film is designed to peel easily from the paint surface at an ambient temperature between 60°F and 90°F. To remove film from vehicle, place in wash bay or covered area and wet film thoroughly using ordinary tap water from a garden hose or standard manual pressure washer to cool or warm vehicle body for film removal. Never use hot water to remove the temporary protective coating. Peel film back from corner to allow water to penetrate underneath film. It is most efficient to combine the peeling of the coating off with one hand while directing the pressure water with the other.
Where were you last week?! Exactly the product I was looking for but it was not in my google searches.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:27 PM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where were you last week?! Exactly the product I was looking for but it was not in my google searches.

You're welcome - no need to thank me

Get notified of new replies

To New C6 Corvette owner, need help selecting care cover for transport to new state

Quick Reply: New C6 Corvette owner, need help selecting care cover for transport to new state