Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Cleaning chrome exhaust tips

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 03:38 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Cleaning chrome exhaust tips

I am getting tired of polishing my exhaust tips after every track day. Polishing the outer 2 is fast enough but the inner 2 usually take 3-4 times longer and that's with using some 0000 steel wool.

I started with Blue Magic, a polish and sealant in one. They polished up nice but needed serious elbow grease to bring them back. Then I tried some Mothers polish followed by Rejex. Let that cure for ~18 hours. Stuff is outstanding on the paint but didn't hold up any better than the BM.

Can you suggest either a cleaner or polish that would cut through the exhust residue more quickly without doing any damage?

Thanks
Old 05-09-2013, 03:56 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 115 Posts

Maybe this?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/car-...imichrome.html
Old 05-09-2013, 05:45 PM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Try Flitz
Old 05-09-2013, 06:47 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I would consider a coating like G-technic . I doubt it will reverse or stop all buildup, it should however make cleanup easier.

http://www.autogeek.net/gtechniq-surface-coatings.html
Old 05-11-2013, 07:16 PM
tampatopless
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ceramic Bryte. It's the stove top cleaner you use on those glass or ceramic ranges. Just work it in with your hand and wipe off with paper towel.

Do this a couple of times.

then follow up with any kind of polish.

Plus, you sure those tips are chrome and not stainless steel?
Old 05-12-2013, 12:12 PM
woodranch
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are the exhaust tips on the ZO6 chrome or stainless steel?
Old 05-13-2013, 09:28 AM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
I would consider a coating like G-technic . I doubt it will reverse or stop all buildup, it should however make cleanup easier.

http://www.autogeek.net/gtechniq-surface-coatings.html
Looks good but price makes this plan B or C. Will keep it mind - thanks.

Originally Posted by tampatopless
Ceramic Bryte. It's the stove top cleaner you use on those glass or ceramic ranges. Just work it in with your hand and wipe off with paper towel. Do this a couple of times. Then follow up with any kind of polish.

Plus, you sure those tips are chrome and not stainless steel?
Does this cut right through the exhaust build-up? Either something to protect it like the G-technic recommended above or something that requires little time/effort to remove the build up is what I am hoping to find.

SS on the tips - thanks for correction.

Originally Posted by woodranch
Are the exhaust tips on the ZO6 chrome or stainless steel?
SS tips not chrome - my mistake.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:54 PM
woodranch
Pro

Sorry guys but this is a dumb newbie question.I am guessing I can not get the OEM exhaust tips as shinny as these pictures because they are not OEM tips.Am I correct, because some of these exhaust tips look like glass and I can't see the stock ones that came with my ZO6 looking like that. Am I correct with this thought?
Old 05-13-2013, 08:40 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I had someone on here tell me try Cerama Bryte® Glass/Ceramic Cooktop Cleaner . I **** you not, it really works.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:21 AM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by speedraider
I had someone on here tell me try Cerama Bryte® Glass/Ceramic Cooktop Cleaner . I **** you not, it really works.
Thanks, I'll try it.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:01 AM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

I went the PlatiDip route recommended to me by someone on the general forum. Was told it can take heat up to 315 F. They don't look as good but if it takes scrubbing them out of the equation, it will have been worth it. Did the barrels of the wheels too.

Thanks for suggesitons.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:31 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 307 Posts

I use that Optimum polish from Auto-Geek . I also use a drill with a buffing head. You need one with a power cord as the battery pack ones drain fast.

Clif
Old 05-27-2013, 12:31 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

Thanks for the tip, those of you who recommended the stove top cleaner. That stuff is amazing. I have not polished the metal to a mirror finish yet, but that stuff gets them clean with ease. It is tough to get a good pic under there, but here they are:

They were totally nasty and black.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:15 PM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 402 Likes on 283 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'24

Nevr Dull. Comes in a silver/black can and found everywhere.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:02 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TKOGTO
I went the PlatiDip route recommended to me by someone on the general forum. Was told it can take heat up to 315 F. They don't look as good but if it takes scrubbing them out of the equation, it will have been worth it. Did the barrels of the wheels too.

Thanks for suggesitons.
An update:
The Plasti-Dip decision was a disaster. 4 coats were seared into the center tips after 1 track day so much it turned almost into paint. It could not be peeled off. I used several different polishes with 0000 steel wool and got virtually no results. After a few hours, I tried Scott's recommendation of Cerma Bryte. I tried another ceramic top cleaner initially when I couldn't find the CB. It felt abrasive but was not better than the any of the polishes. It took another 45 minutes per tip but the CB actually worked. I still needed the steel wool but at least it worked.
I also ordered some aluminum compound in case the CB failed. The compound was better but only marginally so. At 4 times the price, I would not buy it again. I'm sold on Cerama Bryte. I am more than a little surprised it worked but happy it did.
I'm not up for trying the outer 2 tips just yet so I have the inner two back to stock and the outer 2 an abused shade of black. Going forward, I believe the CB will address my original issue quite well, namely polishing after the track .

Thanks Scott
Old 08-05-2013, 06:58 PM
jimmybobby
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NDMIKE88
Nevr Dull. Comes in a silver/black can and found everywhere.
This stuff and Simichrome work very well. To clean the residue left from Never Dull, I use Dirtex found in the paint dept. at most hardware stores. (Lowe's and HD)
Old 08-05-2013, 07:40 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

There is a product from P21S that removes tarnish, rust, and dirt easily on uncoated metal. It does however need to be followed up with a metal polish to bring back the bling-bling to a chrome like final finish.

http://www.autogeek.net/p153.html

Get notified of new replies

To Cleaning chrome exhaust tips

Old 08-06-2013, 08:37 AM
SouthBaySurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

when I got my car 3 years ago, the tips were pretty dirty. I first wet sanded them with 2000 grit sandpaper. Next, I polished them with Semichrome polish, applied with a drill and Mother's cone-shaped bit. Using the same Mother's device, I polished them with a less abrasive product (I use Zaino AIO). Lastly, I finish them with a polymer sealant ( Zaino z2 or Rejex, for example). I don't use wax because the heat of the pipes will eventually burn the wax and turn the pipes yellow.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:03 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

I use a Mother's power ball on mine with Adam's metal polish. It's the best combination I've found.

I think the secret to keeping your exhaust tips shiney is not to let them get too bad in the first place. I wipe mine off with a damp cloth every time I drive my car.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:08 AM
woodranch
Pro

Sorry guys but now I am mixed up.Can you get the OEM pipes that come with the Z06, shiny like some of the pictures or you have to change to chrome tips.What is the best polish for the plain basic OEM pipes? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Cleaning chrome exhaust tips