Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Black car - streaks

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 07:35 PM
Hristo34
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black car - streaks

Hi all,

Wondering if I could get a little advice. I purchased a black 2008 Z06 in October of 2011 from a dealership. It was professionally detailed before I got it. I park under a floresent light in my garage and I later noticed that there was a bit of what I can only describe as a dull streak in a small part of the paint, on the driver side of the hood. I didn't think too much of it as under normal lighting it wasn't visible, and I was having too much fun just driving.

This past winter I thought I would learn more about detailing and cleaning. I got a griots polisher and a variety of meguiars polish and waxes etc. I washed, did the clay bar, and polished, but I'm stuck at that point. The whole car turned out great, except for the spot on the hood. I moved up to a medium compound, but it didn't do anything. I'm now wondering if I should move up to a heavy compound, or quit while I'm ahead. I don't want to damage the paint.

It's difficult to describe the streak. It doesn't have ridges, so I don't think its scratched. It feels as smooth as the rest of the paint. I'll try to get a descent picture, but I have to get the listing right. Any thoughts?
Old 04-13-2013, 11:27 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

What compound have you used? Maybe step up to HD Cut on a Microfiber Cutting Pad or M101/M105 on a Microfiber Cutting pad.

How long are you working it? Are you moving real fast?
Old 04-14-2013, 01:00 AM
Hristo34
Intermediate

I've used ultimate polish, swirl remover 2.0, and medium cut cleaner. I've been doing the recommended 6 over lapping passes. Not sure if I am going fast or not, as I'm pretty new to this. I tried to follow the direction provided by the video that came with the polisher. Should I spend more time on the spot? I'm a bit nervous about damaging the paint. I may step up to the heavy compound, but again, I don't want to go too far.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:04 AM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

a picture would help us see what is actually happening; there could be a possibility the clear coat is "burned" in that area from the dealer using too fast of a speed, not enough compound, stupidity, etc.........
Old 04-14-2013, 10:15 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Could it be a blemish under the clearcoat ??? Was this area repainted or repaired ??? Its hard to say, but you can always have a professional detailer in your area give you a free review to see if it can be polished out.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:33 PM
Hristo34
Intermediate

Ok, here is the best pic I could get with my cell phone. Hopefully someone has an idea of what it is. I like doing stuff myself, so I'm hoping I don't need to take it into a shop! Thanks for the assistance so far.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:22 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

It looks like something stained or etched the top coat and left those streaks. I would first use a chemical based paint cleanser to see if its mineral based. If not, then move to polishing by machine and see if you can remove it. The only other choice would be wet-sanding the area.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:43 PM
Hristo34
Intermediate

If it is not a mineral based stain, do you think I should move on to a heavier polish compound, or keep working at it slowly with the medium compound I've been using? I'm not afraid to try wet sanding, but I haven't done it before.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:29 PM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

You're going to need a real professional, not a dealership detailer to fix that chafe mark in your clear coat.....

If you lived close to me, I'd hit it with some Meguiar's 105 UC compound with an orange LC pad on a Flex polisher to see if it made any difference...

If that helped some, good.....

If it didn't, a light wet sand would be next followed up with more 105 and then a finishing polish with a milder pad to bring back the shine....

Get with a corvette car club in your area and ask them who they trust to detail their cars and start from there. This isn't that big of a problem and could/ should be able fixed in a matter of minutes.....

Good luck.....
Old 04-14-2013, 08:38 PM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Hristo34
If it is not a mineral based stain, do you think I should move on to a heavier polish compound, or keep working at it slowly with the medium compound I've been using? I'm not afraid to try wet sanding, but I haven't done it before.
I would recommend not wet sanding it yourself unless you have the proper pads and polishes to restore the surface after you sand down the clear coat. It's very easy to sand thru on the edges and corners and if you don't have any practice with that task, I'd leave it up to someone that has....
Old 04-14-2013, 08:42 PM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Question:

When you run you hand across it, can you feel it.....?

Is it a raised surface abrasion or, is it underneath the clear coat.....?
Old 04-14-2013, 09:20 PM
Hristo34
Intermediate

When I run my fingers over it I can't feel a thing, its very smooth. If I didn't see it under the light I wouldn't know it was there.

I appreciate the offer, but the commute might be a bit long I'm using a Griots 6" random orbital. If I can't get this sorted out, I'll definitely hit someone up in the local club.

Last edited by Hristo34; 04-14-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:35 PM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Hristo34
When I run my fingers over it I can't feel a thing, its very smooth. If I didn't see it under the light I wouldn't know it was there.

I appreciate the offer, but the commute might be a bit long I'm using a Griots 6" random orbital. If I can't get this sorted out, I'll definitely hit someone up in the local club.
Interesting......

It almost looks like something was placed on your car and dragged off with the straight line pattern....

That should be a surface fix...

Oh well, it's a small area and your local corvette club will know who to get a hold of to deal with the correction.....

Good luck and post some pictures when you get it cleared up.....

Get notified of new replies

To Black car - streaks

Quick Reply: Black car - streaks