Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Recycled water at car wash ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 12:31 PM
CheckeredFlag
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Recycled water at car wash ?

Maybe I'm the last to know, but -----

Did you know - a lot - of car wash places, recycle car wash water ?

There's times here in Mid Michigan (especially this time of year (read: snow) that I won't be standing in the driveway with a hose and a bucket (or whatever you like to use)--- so I have taken my daily driver thru a touch-less car wash

I was reading a note in our local township paper, about how the "do it yourself" car washes, recycle water there as well.

I've seen people washing their engines down after they have sprayed it with GUNK, plus you know some vehicles are dripping oils, etc...

I also read ..."The recycled water is normally used in the early rinses and to mix with the detergents. It may also be used in the high-pressure washer. It should never be used in the final rinse...."

I'm just curious how that water is filtered - Any ideas ?

Thoughts ???
Old 12-26-2012, 02:12 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Makes you wonder HOW and HOW OFTEN they filter the water. Between engine cleaning and mud slingers I would NEVER use it unless a last choice. With modern chemistry and rinseless/waterless washes you will never need too.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:02 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Disposal of Aqueous Solutions

One should never assume that aqueous solutions can be disposed of down the drain. Water drainage is not all treated the same; in fact, some water isn’t treated at all.

The storm drain system takes all the water from outside homes and businesses (rain, overwatering of lawns) and sends it untreated straight to our local creeks, rivers, bays and eventually the ocean.

Storm drains are the openings you see along curbs, in streets and parking lots. The storm drain system is designed as a flood control system to allow water from heavy rainstorms to flow quickly to our waterways to avoid flooding of our streets, homes and businesses. However rainwater can pick up pollutants such as car care chemicals, acids and etc and flush it all into our waterways damaging the fish, plants and other living things in our eco-system.

Only water that enters the sewer system (from sinks and toilets) is sent to water treatment plants to remove pollutants and be treated before entering our waterways.

The Federal Clean Water Act deems it illegal for anyone to throw, dispose of or allow anything other than rainwater into the storm drains. Try to divert car wash water to a landscaped or planted area.

Be cognizant that some State or local guidelines forbid discharging water on to the grass and into the flower beds; their contention is that it pollutes the ground water table, always check before discharging soiled water.

Your local water treatment authority or publicly owned treatment works will have information on treatment and disposal of these cleaners. Adjustment of pH and dilution are usually required before disposal to a drain. Always comply with current water usage and disposal regulations / water usage restrictions.

A car care product may be biodegradable and environmentally safe but it’s not about what’s in the wash per se; just remember the dirt, brake dust, traffic film residue and oil that are washed off are all pollutants and are no longer biodegradable or environmentally safe and once rinsed from the paints surface should not be sent to the storm water system but rather a containment system should be used

California uses a 2-gallon rule. If the detail job requires more than 2 gallons of wash water, the water must be contained

Be sure you are compliant when washing cars; check with your local government municipal office or the EPA regional office in your area to see what you need to do to be compliant when washing vehicles at businesses and residential neighbourhoods.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:10 PM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

I'm pretty sure that it's the law around here for automatic car wash places to recycle the water.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:04 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Recycling water is based upon monetary considerations I don't think its regulated; the water is ( ) filtered and then mixed with fresh water before being reused
Old 12-28-2012, 09:38 AM
0David-Fermani
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

Recycling of water is perfectly safe for use in car washes. It goes through a very stringent filtering process and ALL the abrasive particles are removed as well as most harmful chemicals and soiling.

Recycled water is only used in the wash phase of the wash and NOT in the rinse stages so there is no chance that your car will have it on there at the end. Rest assured......

Get notified of new replies

To Recycled water at car wash ?

Quick Reply: Recycled water at car wash ?