Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Armour All Tire Foam Will Not Come Off My Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 01:23 PM
eblue2002
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Armour All Tire Foam Will Not Come Off My Wheels

My DD is a Tundra with aftermarket wheels (polished finish with black insets). Although I typically use a cardboard cut out to keep the tire foam off the wheels, a couple of weekends ago I couldn't find it and applied the foam without it. I got some splatters on the wheels that baked on in the 100+ degree heat. Now it will NOT come off. So far I've tried soap & water, two different off the shelf wheel cleaners, Meguiar's wheel polish/cleaner, and finally a 3M rubbing compound. No luck. Any of you car care fanatics out there have this happen before or have any ideas how to get this stuff off there?

Thanks!
Old 08-09-2012, 05:01 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

If the wheel is coated (clearcoated) then use a paint cleansing lotion first and a "paint" polish second.

If the wheel is uncoated metal (polished aluminum) then perhaps a Mothers Powerball and some polish should help.

Those would be my first choices ..
Old 08-09-2012, 07:42 PM
Pro-Techt
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you post some pictures??

When you polished the wheel, did the towel turn black? If so, that means your wheel is not clearcoated. And if that's the case you will need a dedicated alloy polish to restore the finish.

If you towel didn't turn black, then your wheel is clearcoated and the solvent from the AA leached into the finish and stained it. Like paint, it might be restorable with sanding and polishing. Remember, paint on wheels is typically powder coated and pretty hard.

Moving forward, I suggest using a better tire dressing.

Get notified of new replies

To Armour All Tire Foam Will Not Come Off My Wheels

Quick Reply: Armour All Tire Foam Will Not Come Off My Wheels