Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Ran into some trouble while polishing my chrome spyders

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Armalite
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ran into some trouble while polishing my chrome spyders

I was polishing my chrome spyder wheels and everything was going great until the very end. I was putting on some finishing touches when I noticed the chrome was getting very dull in certain spots.

I am using a mother's power ball mini with HD metal polish. Here is one of the dull spots. What is going wrong and how can I fix it? I tried to just continue polishing the spot but it won't come out. Zoom in to see the dull area clearly.

Name:  kCjbX.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  727.6 KB
Old 07-27-2012, 04:49 PM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me it looks like the chrome hasn't been dipped correctly in that spot. You can't shine something that isn't able to be shined. Chroming is a difficult job and is very easy to miss sections.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:50 PM
Armalite
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stewart Allison
To me it looks like the chrome hasn't been dipped correctly in that spot. You can't shine something that isn't able to be shined. Chroming is a difficult job and is very easy to miss sections.
I'm pretty sure that it's something that I did wrong, or failed to do. The spots weren't on there until I went back over with the ball and some polish to correct areas that I could see I had missed (after checking in bright light). Now there are these dull spots all over the wheels.

My powerball mini is starting to fall apart if that could have caused the problem?
Old 07-27-2012, 09:40 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I initially thought it could be the chroming process also as often around corners it harder to make sure the process works as well as other areas. You see this alot of reproduction wheels.

If you believe its the polishing specifically I would look to another polish (make sure its chrome specific) and another polishing agent or Powerball. This way you can assure yourself it "is" or "isnt" these products.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:01 AM
Armalite
Instructor

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
I initially thought it could be the chroming process also as often around corners it harder to make sure the process works as well as other areas. You see this alot of reproduction wheels.

If you believe its the polishing specifically I would look to another polish (make sure its chrome specific) and another polishing agent or Powerball. This way you can assure yourself it "is" or "isnt" these products.
These are factory.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:13 AM
Zorlac
Burning Brakes

If they're OEM they have a clear coat don't they?
Old 07-28-2012, 03:56 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Zorlac
If they're OEM they have a clear coat don't they?
the chrome wheels do not have clearcoat, but the high polished and all other wheel options do. Chrome is often quite durable but needs some care or it will pit. Unfortunately it could be a bad chrome process but as offered I suggest working within each step above to eliminate the blame before seeing the dealer or living with it.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Kevin Kuse
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Customer Assistance and Instructions

GM has looked for ways customers may improve the appearance of wheels damaged by acidic cleaners. The following product and procedure has been found to dramatically improve the appearance of stained wheels. For wheels that have milky stains caused by acidic cleaners try the following:

Notice
THE 3M CHROME AND METAL POLISH REQUIRED FOR THIS PROCEDURE IS AN EXTREMELY AGGRESSIVE POLISH/CLEANER. THE WHEELS MUST BE CLEANED BEFORE APPLICATION TO AVOID SCRATCHING THE WHEEL SURFACE. THIS PRODUCT WILL REDUCE THE THICKNESS OF THE CHROME PLATING ON THE WHEEL AND IF USED INCORRECTLY OR EXCESSIVELY MAY REMOVE THE CHROME PLATING ALL TOGETHER, EXPOSING A LESS BRIGHT AND BRASSY COLORED SUB-LAYER. FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS EXACTLY.

1. Wash the wheels with vigorously with soap and water. This step will clean and may reduce wheel staining. Flood all areas of the wheel with water to rinse.
2. Dry the wheels completely.

Notice
Begin with a small section of the wheel and with light pressure buff off polish and examine results. ONLY apply and rub with sufficient force and time to remove enough staining that you are satisfied with the results. Some wheels may be stained to the extent that you may only achieve a 50% improvement while others may be able to be restored to the original lustre. IN ALL CASES, only apply until the results are satisfactory.

3. Apply 3M Chrome and Metal Polish #39527* with a clean terry cloth towel. As you apply the polish, the staining will be diminished.
4. When dry, buff off the polish with a clean portion of the towel.
5. Repeat application of the 3M Chrome and Metal Polish until satisfied with the results. If continued applications fail to improve the appearance further discontinue use.

This procedure will improve the appearance of the wheels and may, with repeated applications, restore the finish dramatically. For wheels that exhibit spotting from road chemicals the above procedure may marginally improve the condition but will not restore the finish or remove the pitting. In this type of staining the wheel finish has actually been removed in spots and no manner of cleaning will restore the finish.

†*We believe this source and their products to be reliable. There may be additional manufacturers of such products/materials. General Motors does not endorse, indicate any preference for or assume any responsibility for the products or material from this firm or for any such items that may be available from other sources.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

After having another look it looks like that area is flash chromed. Which is not the normal method of chroming. I just think you have highlighted the bad area of chrome finish with the ball. I can see the porosity in that section where the metal hasn't been finished properly with the chrome at the factory.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:02 PM
Pro-Techt
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a combination of thin chrome plating and quite possibly the reduction of the plating by means of heavy polishing.

Like your car's paint, chrome isn't indestructible. It can be reduced with aggressive processes. Any chrome or alloy polish can do this.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:04 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Based on your picture, to the right of the pitting within the red circle and beyond, buffing abrasion marks are clearly seen. The combination of localized pitting and buffing marks indicats you have probably dwelled on that spot too long with polish and worn through the poorly preped surface before chromed.

Damage control with chrome is basically with application of surface protectant, in hope of preventing contaminent entrys. Thats one of the short coming with most chromed surface.

Most mfg don't go through the extensive preping to have the great chrome of the past, properly done, wheel has to be initially sand smooth, polish then buff to a mirrior finish; dipped to have secondary metal (such as copper) with the controlled thickness deposited on base, then go through the process again to attain mirrior finish - it has to be flawless before the application of final chroming! Now a day, you can only find this quality in shops that takes pride in their work, but it will be expensive!

But it is sad to have happened to you non the less!

Get notified of new replies

To Ran into some trouble while polishing my chrome spyders

Quick Reply: Ran into some trouble while polishing my chrome spyders