Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Clean your exhaust tips by hand without elbow grease in 10 min for $10

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 04:53 PM
tampatopless
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Clean your exhaust tips by hand without elbow grease in 10 min for $10

I had stainless steel tips that probably had not been cleaned since the car left Bowling Green six years ago. They were as black as any non-stainless exhaust after years of soot and exhaust build-up.

You would have not known they were stainless. At first I tried metal polish and it was a mess. I mean the soot and grime was coming off but the rags were totally covered in grime within seconds and soot and drippings were everywhere.

I had researched several posts but everyone had machines, polishing buffers, etc. They were sold in kits. I think I found a cheaper way without any machines and it's really easy.

What you need

1. Small bottle of Cerama Bryte cooktop cleaner - sold in grocery stores.
2. Roll of paper towels.
3. Stainless Steel wipes used to clean refrigerator (optional)
4. Small tin of Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish or something similar. Remember, the tips are usually stainless and not chrome, so you want a polish that is good for all metals, not necessarily chrome or wheel polish.
5. Two old microfiber cloths that are nearing the end of their lifespan and that you can throw away.

The key is Cerama Bryte and paper towels. This does 99 percent of the cleaning.

1. Shake Cerama Bryte well and pour a good amount on a paper towel. Slather it over the tips and start working it in. Doesn't take a lot of pressure. Do this for about 60 seconds. Throw away paper towel, use a clean one and start wiping them down.

2. Your tips should be looking about 90 percent better. Repeat step 1 again if you want and do it as many times as you want. After all, you got a roll of paper towels.

3. Now Cerama Bryte is slightly abrasive and people worry about scratching their tips. But stainless steel is one of the hardest metals there is and Cerama Bryte is no more abrasive than Meg's swirl remover or polish and we are using that on our clear coats.

Besides, you are only gonna use Cerama Bryte once. For then on, it's just wash and light polish when you do your detailing.

4. Wipe down with stainless steel wipes used to wipe down refrigerators. This is really optional, but is good for cleaning any remaining Cerama Bryte residue for you OCD types. These wipes are also good for regular detailing of tips.

5. The tips could really be left alone at this point. But if you want to get them even brighter, now you can start the polish.

6. Dip one of the microfiber towels into the Mother's Mag and Aluminum and start working it in and polishing. Always use the dirty microfiber for rubbing it in and polishing and use the cleaner one as a buffer. If you are doing it right, quite a bit of black should be coming off.

7. Do this for about a minute per tip and you are good go. The pix below is of previously soot-black tips.

Previously black tips:
Attached Images  
Old 05-26-2012, 10:46 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

for stubborn grime and tips, consider 0000 steel or brass wool and your favorite metal polish. BINGO !!
Old 05-29-2012, 11:29 PM
termin8
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just out of curiosity, have you ever tried the Eagle 1 Never Dull?

it has done wonders for me in the past, but your method seems to be fairly top notch I'll have to try it out sometime soon.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:27 AM
faninc
Drifting

Received 637 Likes on 364 Posts

Default Cerama Bryte cooktop cleaner pads

Hi,

Just bought this product in the 10 pad pack, cannot wait to try them. My 2014 Vette pipes seem to get black pretty quick...so this should help keep them looking good.

Originally Posted by tampatopless
I had stainless steel tips that probably had not been cleaned since the car left Bowling Green six years ago. They were as black as any non-stainless exhaust after years of soot and exhaust build-up.

You would have not known they were stainless. At first I tried metal polish and it was a mess. I mean the soot and grime was coming off but the rags were totally covered in grime within seconds and soot and drippings were everywhere.

I had researched several posts but everyone had machines, polishing buffers, etc. They were sold in kits. I think I found a cheaper way without any machines and it's really easy.

What you need

1. Small bottle of Cerama Bryte cooktop cleaner - sold in grocery stores.
2. Roll of paper towels.
3. Stainless Steel wipes used to clean refrigerator (optional)
4. Small tin of Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish or something similar. Remember, the tips are usually stainless and not chrome, so you want a polish that is good for all metals, not necessarily chrome or wheel polish.
5. Two old microfiber cloths that are nearing the end of their lifespan and that you can throw away.

The key is Cerama Bryte and paper towels. This does 99 percent of the cleaning.

1. Shake Cerama Bryte well and pour a good amount on a paper towel. Slather it over the tips and start working it in. Doesn't take a lot of pressure. Do this for about 60 seconds. Throw away paper towel, use a clean one and start wiping them down.

2. Your tips should be looking about 90 percent better. Repeat step 1 again if you want and do it as many times as you want. After all, you got a roll of paper towels.

3. Now Cerama Bryte is slightly abrasive and people worry about scratching their tips. But stainless steel is one of the hardest metals there is and Cerama Bryte is no more abrasive than Meg's swirl remover or polish and we are using that on our clear coats.

Besides, you are only gonna use Cerama Bryte once. For then on, it's just wash and light polish when you do your detailing.

4. Wipe down with stainless steel wipes used to wipe down refrigerators. This is really optional, but is good for cleaning any remaining Cerama Bryte residue for you OCD types. These wipes are also good for regular detailing of tips.

5. The tips could really be left alone at this point. But if you want to get them even brighter, now you can start the polish.

6. Dip one of the microfiber towels into the Mother's Mag and Aluminum and start working it in and polishing. Always use the dirty microfiber for rubbing it in and polishing and use the cleaner one as a buffer. If you are doing it right, quite a bit of black should be coming off.

7. Do this for about a minute per tip and you are good go. The pix below is of previously soot-black tips.

Previously black tips:
Old 05-27-2017, 09:56 PM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

Cerama Bryte is abrasive? how about on chrome? for C7 exhaust tips they are chrome, is it ok to use it everytime?
Old 05-28-2017, 08:00 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

When I polish the tips on my '12 GS I get residue in the holes on the inside of the pipes that is a PITA to remove. Does anyone have a good way to take care of this?

BIGMAC
Old 05-28-2017, 10:13 PM
ZishanM
Pro

Received 275 Likes on 119 Posts

fine steel wool and soapy water

Get notified of new replies

To Clean your exhaust tips by hand without elbow grease in 10 min for $10

Quick Reply: Clean your exhaust tips by hand without elbow grease in 10 min for $10