Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Arrival of Air Force Master Blaster with Disappointment?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 10:06 PM
rpmccly
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Arrival of Air Force Master Blaster with Disappointment?

I got my Metro Air Force Master Blaster 4+4HP in today and honestly I am not impressed. Its an awesome well built unit but it didn't dry my vette like I thought it would. Sure, its going to take some strategy/practice but I thought for sure that it would instantly be better than using towels. It's definitely more fun but it still left water marks! I also didn't feel much of a difference between the 2 speeds. You could tell there was a little more air coming out but with both fans on the heat was dramatically less. I'm thinking that 1 fan and higher heat will do a better job than ever so slightly more air with very very little heat. I'd rather return it for the cheaper $150 single fan 4HP AFMB! Any thoughts here?

Also, I tried to use the really small nozzle that came with it and after about 20 seconds it SHOT off with a large pop that I thought was the motor blowing up. I laughed after I figured out what it was, luckily I wasn't pointed at the vette! I'm going to only use the standard nozzle that comes with it on from now on.

Update - FYI - After our discussions here and determining there was a defect, Seller had emailed the factory to setup a paid (awesome) return shipment for a replacement that saturday. Seller asked me multiple times to edit this thread to say he worked the weekend but until I got the replacement, I saw no reason for any kind of edit as I didn't know the outcome yet. I just got the replacement and there is a huge difference. Now it actually get heats with both motors on and there is a significant difference in CFM with both motors on. Thanks for the help Seller and forum members. Took some hassle but I'm happy, unfortunately its raining here today so I'll let you know how the new wash goes when its nice out.

Last edited by rpmccly; 05-31-2012 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Update
The following users liked this post:
bosco1 (03-12-2016)
Old 05-16-2012, 10:13 PM
studiovette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It definitely takes some practice and you need to be in the shade which I learned the hard way. I think it works great as it removes all the water and any suds in all the nooks and crannies which a towel can't do. It saves time as well. As you don't have to sit there and wipe down all four wheels you can just blow the water out and dry. Once I finish blowing I take a clean microfiber cloth with some spray detailer and just go over entire car. I forgot to mention I use both motors at all times and that pop happened to me the 1st time I used it. It was the same rubber nozzle popping off. Last week when I used it the entire hose came off but that was my fault for not tightening it
Old 05-16-2012, 10:26 PM
3GenVettes
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm really pleased with my Master Blaster, but I like it the most during the cooler times of the year fall, winter and spring. I still use it in the summer, but not as regularly as during cool weather. Anytime of the year though, it is my number one choice for wheels/brakes and other nooks and crannies.

I've actually got both models, the smaller single motor 4HP AFMB and larger two motor unit that you just got. If you do decide to get the smaller unit, my guess is that you will like it a lot. It is the one that I actually use more of the time. If I were to bet, I'd say that your initial impressions are in part a bit of over expectations. Most of us with Master Blasters tend to rave about them, and I know that I do, so that can lead to thinking it is even better than it is. But I for one, won't go back to being without one.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:40 PM
Stan0324
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 109 Posts

Had mine for about 1 year and love it. It does take some getting use to. Try not to dry it in the sun, as it may dry before you use the blaster and that will cause water spots.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:44 PM
rpmccly
Instructor

Studiovette/Stand - You know I didn't think about the sun part, although I did it in the evening after dinner on a not so hot day so think it would be minimal. I'll try it again in the shade.

3GenVettes - I think your right on the over expectation comment. That's so true that I want to deny it!

Do you guys use the standard nozzle or one of the adapters? Any strategies/hints you guys can give? (I plan on washing again tomorrow....why not right?)
Old 05-16-2012, 10:51 PM
Just Buy It
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO just use a leaf blower and some microfiber towels. Maybe some good cloth rags for inside the doors and stuff. Don't go OCD on your car. It is a car!
Old 05-16-2012, 11:12 PM
rpmccly
Instructor

Originally Posted by Just Buy It
IMHO just use a leaf blower and some microfiber towels. Maybe some good cloth rags for inside the doors and stuff. Don't go OCD on your car. It is a car!
...the last thing I want to use is a leaf blower. Its the same concept but I don't want the risk of it blowing some debris at my vette. I know a lot of people live by leaf blowers but its not my choice.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:24 PM
LisasZR1
Lifetime NCM Member #2482
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by studiovette
It definitely takes some practice and you need to be in the shade which I learned the hard way. I think it works great as it removes all the water and any suds in all the nooks and crannies which a towel can't do. It saves time as well. As you don't have to sit there and wipe down all four wheels you can just blow the water out and dry. Once I finish blowing I take a clean microfiber cloth with some spray detailer and just go over entire car. I forgot to mention I use both motors at all times and that pop happened to me the 1st time I used it. It was the same rubber nozzle popping off. Last week when I used it the entire hose came off but that was my fault for not tightening it

IMHO just use a leaf blower and some microfiber towels.
Leaf blower scares me - too easy to hit the car with the nozzle.

Something I bought that has REALLY helped on water spots (with or without the master blaster) is a spotless water system. WOW! the water the slides off the car - no water spots. Add the master blaster to that - wash and dry is a piece of cake. We have super duper hard water so the system was a must for me.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:25 PM
JIMSC62006
Racer

I use a Homelite Leaf Blower that has a 200 mph blower. I don't know why you would think of blowing anything on your car. I blow off my driveway before washing the car and it takes about 30 min. to dry it. I think it does a great job and leaves very little left to dry off with a MF towel. I will never go back to hand drying again. Also, my LB only costs $29 at Home Depot.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:34 PM
ScottJ03
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default ???

Originally Posted by LisasZR1

Leaf blower scares me - too easy to hit the car with the nozzle.

Something I bought that has REALLY helped on water spots (with or without the master blaster) is a spotless water system. WOW! the water the slides off the car - no water spots. Add the master blaster to that - wash and dry is a piece of cake. We have super duper hard water so the system was a must for me.
Where did you get your spotless water system, Griots?
Old 05-16-2012, 11:43 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,089 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by JIMSC62006

I use a Homelite Leaf Blower that has a 200 mph blower.

Also, my LB only costs $29 at Home Depot.
See, that's the deal here ... It gets a little hard to justify the high price of the Air Force Master Blaster when you can buy an electric leaf blower for about 30-35 bucks!

Don't like the long nozzle on leaf blowers when using it to blow water off a car? ... Cut it off shorter (it's just plastic and you only paid $32.95 for it anyway)

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 05-16-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:56 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I use my neighbors "kid" and for $20 I get it washed, the inside is vacuumed, and leather cleaner is put on the seats and the engine gets a wipe down...

I sit in the reclining beach chair with a "Bud" and make sure he don't miss any spots...

Sure beats spending $200 for a "Hot Air Blower" and a "helluva" lot less work
Old 05-17-2012, 12:01 AM
JIMSC62006
Racer

Originally Posted by jpee
I use my neighbors "kid" and for $20 I get it washed, the inside is vacuumed, and leather cleaner is put on the seats and the engine gets a wipe down...

I sit in the reclining beach chair with a "Bud" and make sure he don't miss any spots...

Sure beats spending $200 for a "Hot Air Blower" and a "helluva" lot less work
Can he come and do mine when he is done with yours?
Old 05-17-2012, 03:02 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Getting the nozzle with the heated air into the nooks and crannies around the wheels and brake calipers is almost worth the price of the Master Blaster alone, for me.

It also works great at removing all the water from the tail lights and mirrors.

Griots and AutoGeek both sell water purifier systems that will eliminate water spots.

Admittedly, all this hardware is a significant investment, but if you're like me and would rather drive your car than clean it, it's worth the money.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:18 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

IMHO Just use an Absorber chamis and backed up by a good microfibre
towel. The wipe down/dry is part of the wash and using a dryer will result in a less clean car than one that is washed and wiped down.Your never touching the paint or clear if you keep a good finish like Liquid Glass on it!
The blow off is a gimmick! No matter how nice you wash it you still find something when your wiping it down! IMHO!
Old 05-17-2012, 04:24 AM
Licit
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
See, that's the deal here ... It gets a little hard to justify the high price of the Air Force Master Blaster when you can buy an electric leaf blower for about 30-35 bucks!

Don't like the long nozzle on leaf blowers when using it to blow water off a car? ... Cut it off shorter (it's just plastic and you only paid $32.95 for it anyway)

Or just leave the nozzle off, that way you can put your hand at the end of it when getting close to the car so if you do bump the car it's with the back of your hand. I use mine in the garage so debris is not an issue.
If you keep a good coat of wax/sealant on the car it's amazing how fast the water blows off.

Last edited by Licit; 05-17-2012 at 04:28 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:37 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I rarely wash my car,but I clean my wheels and barrels every couple weeks,and this is what I use.....it blow dries them clean,especially inside the lug nuts and calipers.Afterwords I go over with microfiber cloth and possibly a little detail spray if needed for water spots.....

200 mph. !!!

Good ol' Black and Decker leaf blower....

Get notified of new replies

To Arrival of Air Force Master Blaster with Disappointment?

Old 05-17-2012, 07:38 AM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

I've had the 4+4 for a month or so, and, I, too, am unimpressed. Yes, it will blow the car dry, buy to really to the job, it should be a 4+4+4+4.
Was it worth $300. IMHO, no.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:51 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

The secret to getting water off with a blower is the wax/protect ant on the surface. With a fresh coat of Rejex my leaf blower does a great job very fast. After 6 months you can easily tell the areas where the coating is beginning to wear because you start getting a lot of little droplets that want to stick to the surface.

Next, I don't understand the Master Blaster's use of heat. Sure the water disappears faster with heat but you are doing the same thing as letting it dry in the sun. That is going to cause water spots. What's the idea of wanting to evaporating the water rather than blowing it all off?
Old 05-17-2012, 07:51 AM
designerRob
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rpmccly
I got my Metro Air Force Master Blaster 4+4HP in today and honestly I am not impressed. Its an awesome well built unit but it didn't dry my vette like I thought it would. Sure, its going to take some strategy/practice but I thought for sure that it would instantly be better than using towels. It's definitely more fun but it still left water marks! I also didn't feel much of a difference between the 2 speeds. You could tell there was a little more air coming out but with both fans on the heat was dramatically less. I'm thinking that 1 fan and higher heat will do a better job than ever so slightly more air with very very little heat. I'd rather return it for the cheaper $150 single fan 4HP AFMB! Any thoughts here?

Also, I tried to use the really small nozzle that came with it and after about 20 seconds it SHOT off with a large pop that I thought was the motor blowing up. I laughed after I figured out what it was, luckily I wasn't pointed at the vette! I'm going to only use the standard nozzle that comes with it on from now on.
I find that it only works well if you have a good coat of sealant or wax on the car. If you don't the blower just moves the water around.

I use it to get most of the water off. Then I take a good microfiber towel and lightly wipe any areas that didn't get completely dry.

Quick Reply: Arrival of Air Force Master Blaster with Disappointment?