Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Dr. Chip and red metallics

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 03:27 AM
MackIII
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dr. Chip and red metallics

Hi, I have a Monteray Red metallic corvette and was wondering if Dr. Chip would work well on this color. Anyone had any luck with this or similar colors?
Old 03-29-2012, 12:41 AM
GEP
Intermediate

I have an 06 montery red that has a rock chip right in the middle of the hood about 6 in up . I ordered Dr Colorchip . Half a bottle later I saw no difference .in the chip . to their credit i called tech support and they really offered several suggestions but nothing has made any difference . Perhaps its my chip but I had no luck . If you want to order do the small one to minimize your cost , you can always order more . hope this helps .

GEP
Old 03-29-2012, 09:06 PM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

I ordered a kit for my wifes Honda CRV. I the car is three months old and has a couple of chips already.
It does put color in the chip, but IMHO no better than any other touch up does if used carefully. Save some money and get a bottle of touch up paint from GM. The results will be about the same.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:41 AM
Ratbagsmg
Instructor

For smaller chips it works very well. You get poorer results when going after the larger chips and deep scratches. Overall, I've been pretty impressed.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:41 AM
MackIII
Pro

Originally Posted by GEP
I have an 06 montery red that has a rock chip right in the middle of the hood about 6 in up . I ordered Dr Colorchip . Half a bottle later I saw no difference .in the chip . to their credit i called tech support and they really offered several suggestions but nothing has made any difference . Perhaps its my chip but I had no luck . If you want to order do the small one to minimize your cost , you can always order more . hope this helps .

GEP
Can you tell me why you saw no difference in the chip? I mean if you applied the paint, did it not fill in the crack or was there something else that causes you to say it didn't work out for you?

Thx
Old 03-31-2012, 03:34 PM
GEP
Intermediate

Initially , I preped the surface as directed , wash , dry and dewax . I applied the paint , smeared and allowed to dry 10min . I then used the fluid to remove the excess . at this point ALL the piant , including that in the chip was removed . I retried a number of times and even w/ the lightest pressure during removal All the paint came off .I talked w/ tech support and the agreed I was doing it correctly . They even suggested I put the paint on the applicator and let it stand for about 10min before applying to the chip (apparantly that allows the paint to thicken slightly first) The same resuls occured . finally I used a Dupli- Color touch up pen and got the best results . I filled the chip with a drop of paint . Allowed it to dry (it shrank almost level) then used a light swirl remover (Surf City) to lightly blend . That's the best I coud do and it looks pretty good . Hope this helps.
GEP
Old 04-02-2012, 03:04 AM
MackIII
Pro

Ok thanks all
Old 04-08-2012, 12:11 PM
bontrager
Pro

I have used Dr. Color Chip on my Totch Red vert and I am very satisified with the results. Just make sure you follow the instructions. Cleaning the chipped area is very important since you must remove the wax/polish first (use rubbing alcohol; not distilled alcohol). Some chips take more than one application but you are left with a smooth/filled chip once completed. Dad the paint "before" the chip and spread. Also my color matches perfectly. Using the supplied nitrle (sp) glove is important. I have covered at lease ten chips to my satisfaction. Can no longer tell that there was a chip in that area.

Get notified of new replies

To Dr. Chip and red metallics

Quick Reply: Dr. Chip and red metallics