Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Cleaning the convertible top

Old 04-25-2002, 11:50 PM
jtdamage
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning the convertible top

I just recently picked up y new 2002 Convertible. It is Magnetic Red Metallic with a light oak interior and roof. There is a 4 inch black mark on the vert top that I can not remove with soap and water which is what was recommended. Has anyone else had an issue with the light tops and how did you get any tough spots out? Thanks so much as this is my first vert.

thanks - john
Old 04-26-2002, 07:21 AM
stevenll
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Cleaning the convertible top (jtdamage)

Try Hartz Fabric Roof Cleaner. It's the recommended cleaner for our tops. I've read about black marks on the oak top so you're likely to get responses from folks who have encountered your problem with that top. You might try a search to find an answer.
Old 04-26-2002, 08:39 AM
jtdamage
Advanced

Default Re: Cleaning the convertible top (stevenll)

Thanks. I assume I can find this at any auto chain store. I will give this a try. I also have a call into the dealer since it was there along with a black mark on my interior vinyl door jam that won't come out either.

I did do a search and didn't find anything for lt. oak tops.
Old 04-26-2002, 11:00 AM
KLO
Safety Car

No, the Haartz is not found in any retail type stores.

The top material on C-5's is a canvas material made by this company http://www.haartz.com

I use the Haartz cleaner and seal the fabric with 303 Fabric Guard.

I keep both products in stock, email me if you would for me to send you the kit.

Here is your cleaning and maintaining procedure, you will want to cut and paste and print this as you will be doing a lot of cleaning and maintaining with that color top.

A properly maintained cloth top should bead water AT ALL times, if it does not the cloth sealant applied to it at the http://www.haartz.com factory has broken down leaving the top material prone to staining and discoloration. The 303 Fabric Guard is invisible and will reseal the top material.

Important: A program of keeping the top clean through regular washings BEFORE it gets dirty, will enhance the life and beauty of an acrylic top and make successive cleaning easier.

Most automatic car washes will not harm sport topping fabrics. Washes with water jets and hanging cloths are preferred. Those using heavy barrel brushes should be avoided. Haartz recommends hand washing in the shade or partial shade, not direct sunlight.

Bird and tree droppings as well as other loose particle soils should be removed immediately. Vacuum the top with a brush attachment and rinse the roof fabric thoroughly with water to remove these loose particle soils. This will also prevent the soils from being redeposited during the cleaning process. Once the top has been rinsed thoroughly, spray apply Haartz Roof Cleaner evenly over the entire top while the top is still wet. Washing with soap and warm water is a safe alternative to Haartz Roof Cleaner, but not as effective. DO NOT USE DETERGENTS. Allow the roof cleaner to soak into the top for 10 to 20 minutes and then scrub the top lightly
with a soft nylon brush or terry cloth rag. Rinse thoroughly, preferably until no remaining soap foam is observed. Allow to dry. Additional cleaning may be required. It is best to determine this after the top has dried completely. After drying, cleaning must be followed by re-water repelling the fabric with a fluorocarbon system such as 303 High Tech Fabric Guard . Failure to do so will result in rapid resoiling of the unprotected fabric.

The fabric itself does not promote mildew growth. However, mildew may grow on dirt and other foreign substances that are not removed from the fabric. For these more stubborn cases, soak the fabric for approximately 20 minutes in a solution of no more than ½ cup (4 oz.) bleach and ¼ cup (2 oz.) Haartz Roof Cleaner per gallon of water and scrub lightly as indicated above. Excessive soaking with the bleach solution can deteriorate seam threads, so be sure to rinse thoroughly.

Rinse entire vehicle to remove all of the bleach solution from fabric and to prevent streaking on painted and chrome surfaces. Acrylic fabric readily absorbs water but dries quickly. Several cleanings may be necessary.

Do NOT use top dressing cleaners or conditioners containing silicones, organic solvents, petroleum distillates or plasticizers that may permanently stain the fabric. This product is made from 100% solution dyed acrylic fiber which is thermoplastic. Do NOT subject to excessive heat.

The use of stronger cleansers should be left to professionals experienced in handling this type of fabric to avoid discoloration and degradation of the special protective inner layer

Old 04-26-2002, 11:26 AM
jtdamage
Advanced

Default Re: Cleaning the convertible top (KLO)

Wow. sounds like this color will be fun to maintain!

I will send you an email. Thanks for highlighting the process and do's and don'ts. This is why I posted here. I knew someone would know the correct process vs. me experimenting and causing a larger problem.
Old 04-26-2002, 09:30 PM
egregious
Burning Brakes

Bear in mind, the above post refers to treatment and maintenance of an unblemished top. The black marks that you already have need to be addressed prior to applying any treatment. That having been said, I never found a way to remove these marks. I tried two different C5's w/ tan tops and it happened to both. My marks were coming from the inside of the top mechanism, so there was nothing I could do to prevent them. So, I now have a black top instead. I like the look of the tan better, but it's just not worth the hassle. Best of luck.
Old 04-26-2002, 09:58 PM
jtdamage
Advanced

Default Re: Cleaning the convertible top (egregious)

I know what you mean about the look. It does look great while new and no marks, but I fear I am in for a similar experience. The mark does look like it could be from within considering I washed it three times now and it hasn't changed a bit. Did you replace it with a new black top or just ordered it that way last time around? Just curious.

Thanks for sharing your past experience. I did a search and did not see anything on this color!
Old 05-08-2002, 02:07 PM
Dr V
Drifting

Cruise-In I Veteran

Hmmm - I've gone to the Haartz site and they recommend something called Raggtopp Cleaner and Raggtopp Protectant, made by Wolfsteins Pro Series. Am I missing something or is this the cleaner mentioned in this thread?
Old 05-08-2002, 02:19 PM
rubyred93
Drifting

Default Re: Cleaning the convertible top (Dr V)

No, you are not missing anything - the information that was given to you in previous posts is just a bit outdated, that's all. It used to be that the manufacturer of the Corvette cloth tops, Haartz, recommended the use of 303 products on their tops....that's no longer the case. As you have seen they now recommend the use of the RaggTopp product line. Both product lines will perform well for you.

Some speculate that Haartz changed their recommendation because 303 altered their formulation and did not inform Haartz, others believe it is all financially based.

Either way, you can safely use the 303 products or the RaggTopp products...up to you.

Hmmm - I've gone to the Haartz site and they recommend something called Raggtopp Cleaner and Raggtopp Protectant, made by Wolfsteins Pro Series. Am I missing something or is this the cleaner mentioned in this thread?
Old 05-14-2002, 12:54 AM
Cosmo Kramer
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

jtdamage.............My oak top, like yours, had black streaks on it. So, seeing how my wife is a clean freak, I showed her the top. She suggested that I use some of her "Forever New." Basically, "Forever New" is a soap for hand washing fine garments. As is usually the case, she was right. The stuff removed the black marks and now the top looks new. From now on, when I wash the car, I'll mix up one bucket of "Forever New" for the top and another bucket with Z7 for the rest of the car. One final tip, wash the top first and let the soap sit on the top while you wash the rest of the car. If necessary, use a small hand scrub brush for the tuff spots.
Old 05-14-2002, 01:47 AM
jtdamage
Advanced

Default Re: Cleaning the convertible top (98-C5)

Thanks for the tip. I knew there had to be others who found the right answer to this problem with their lt. oak tops. I have never heard of this product, but will try to find it at the local Walmart? As soon as this weather (rain) changes, I will give it a try. Much appreciated.

Old 05-16-2002, 10:36 PM
jtdamage
Advanced

OK, I give. I have tried all over to find "Forever New" and can't find it or find someone who knows where to get it. Any hints on where your wife has found it? I have tried Walmart and local stores with no luck.

thanks.
Old 05-16-2002, 11:44 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

jtdamage.........Not sure where my wife bought the stuff, but here is their address:

"Forever New"
International, Inc.
4701 North Fourth Ave.
Sioux Falls, SD 57104-0403

My wife, unfortunately, is not home now. I'll ask her tomorrow where she bought the stuff.

If you can't find the stuff, I'd guess Woolite would work just as good.
Old 05-17-2002, 12:20 AM
jtdamage
Advanced

Default Re: Cleaning the convertible top (98-C5)

Thanks.

I thought of woolite when that was the only delicate cleaner in that section. I will check the net. Appreciate it.

Get notified of new replies

To Cleaning the convertible top

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cleaning the convertible top