Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Microfiber or Cotton Cloth

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 07:17 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Default Microfiber or Cotton Cloth

I usually dry my car with a microfiber towel and remove wax with a cotton polishing cloth. Now I see they are selling microfiber cloths for removing wax. Do they work well or am I better off using cotton cloths ? What do you use ?
Old 06-17-2011, 08:31 PM
Timbrr
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Micro Fiber or Cotton

Micro fiber, waffle weave for drying. There are several combinations for wax removel or detaling. You might want to consider looking at the Auto Geek website under Cobra microfiber towels. Lots of good information there. Your paint will thank you.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:31 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

MF towels are indeed much easier to find now that true 100% cotton towels. MF towels do need to be kept seperate, and washed seperate for best results. There are several different designs depending on the area being worked on.

http://www.autogeek.net/mictow.html
Old 06-18-2011, 08:51 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Removing Wax / Sealants

The polyester and polyamide content of Microfiber is typically; a blend of 80% polyester (a scrubbing fibre) and 20% polyamide (an absorbing fibre).The nature of this yarn is that it is an absorbent; the reason polyester appears to absorb liquids is the many thousands of micro fibres that collectively encapsulate, this is what makes them so good at cleaning.

a) A Microfiber towel - made from polyester/polyamide will remove product, as they actually lift the dirt or wax from the surface you are cleaning and then store the particle or liquid in the towel until it is washed. due to its inherent properties (that’s why they are so good at cleaning without the use of chemicals). The polyester and polyamide are combined during weaving to create microscopic loops, which form a network of tiny hooks, scrubbing away dirt and grime while trapping it within the weave.

These very fine fibres have little 'hook like claws' that reach into the tiniest of crevices, pulling out dirt, dust, grease, grime, and even bacteria. They hold these foreign materials in their web of weaves until they are washed in warm water where the fibres relax and release these materials.

Conversely the same attributes that make Microfiber so good at cleaning have an adverse affect when applying wax. A polymer sealant forms a molecular bond with the paint surface, so when you remove it, you are removing excess product. An organic wax however, doesn’t form a bond with the paint surface but merely adheres to it, forming a chain-link type coating. A micro fibre cotton towel will leave enough of the wax behind to enable it to form a surface coating.

I can't say enough about cotton towelling for removing organic waxes. For some cotton towelling is a thing of past. But for many of the required tasks involved with the application or removal of organic waxes cotton seems to me to be the ideal choice, I just couldn't find anything that could out perform an all-around old fashion 100% cotton towel.

b) Cotton Towel - high thread count, 100% cotton micro fibre detailing towel with terrycloth weave, spun with long staple cotton and then woven into 100% natural looped terrycloth or velour, the larger fibre loop size that makes up the towels nap are trimmed to produce a fine nap, ideal for buffing and leaving behind a coating on the paint surface. Note: a terry weave towel has slight abrasive ability, which may be useful with some cleaning products

Be cognizant of the material (s) used to bind the edges of the towel (Microfiber or 100% cotton) These are much more likely to cause surface marring than the towel itself, the solution is to ensure they are paint friendly or remove the edge binding

Last edited by TOGWT; 06-20-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:06 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Thanks for the article above. It look like micro fiber is not ideal for removing wax and that cotton is better.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:53 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,259 Likes on 920 Posts

Nothing but high quality microfiber ever touches my Black C-6.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:37 PM
Stan MI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TOGWT
Removing Wax / Sealants

The polyester and polyamide content of Microfiber is typically; a blend of 80% polyester (a scrubbing fibre) and 20% polyamide (an absorbing fibre).The nature of this yarn is that it is an absorbent; the reason polyester appears to absorb liquids is the many thousands of micro fibres that collectively encapsulate, this is what makes them so good at cleaning.

a) A Microfiber towel - made from polyester/polyamide will remove product, as they actually lift the dirt or wax from the surface you are cleaning and then store the particle or liquid in the towel until it is washed. due to its inherent properties (that’s why they are so good at cleaning without the use of chemicals). The polyester and polyamide are combined during weaving to create microscopic loops, which form a network of tiny hooks, scrubbing away dirt and grime while trapping it within the weave.

These very fine fibres have little 'hook like claws' that reach into the tiniest of crevices, pulling out dirt, dust, grease, grime, and even bacteria. They hold these foreign materials in their web of weaves until they are washed in warm water where the fibres relax and release these materials.

Conversely the same attributes that make Microfiber so good at cleaning have an adverse affect when applying wax. A polymer sealant forms a molecular bond with the paint surface, so when you remove it, you are removing excess product. An organic wax however, doesn’t form a bond with the paint surface but merely adheres to it, forming a chain-link type coating. A micro fibre cotton towel will leave enough of the wax behind to enable it to form a surface coating.

I can't say enough about cotton towelling for removing organic waxes. For some cotton towelling is a thing of past. But for many of the required tasks involved with the application or removal of organic waxes cotton seems to me to be the ideal choice, I just couldn't find anything that could out perform an all-around old fashion 100% cotton towel.
b) Cotton Towel - high thread count, 100% cotton micro fibre detailing towel with terrycloth weave, spun with long staple cotton and then woven into 100% natural looped terrycloth or velour, the larger fibre loop size that makes up the towels nap are trimmed to produce a fine nap, ideal for buffing and leaving behind a coating on the paint surface. Note: a terry weave towel has slight abrasive ability, which may be useful with some cleaning products

Be cognizant of the material (s) used to bind the edges of the towel (Microfiber or 100% cotton) These are much more likely to cause surface marring than the towel itself, the solution is to ensure they are paint friendly or remove the edge binding
Would it be correct to say?

MF would be better for a sealant (BWD, REJEX, Z5)
Cotton for Carnuba (PS, Meguiars Gold)????????
Old 06-20-2011, 08:28 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stan MI
Would it be correct to say?

MF would be better for a sealant (BWD, REJEX, Z5)
Cotton for Carnuba (PS, Meguiars Gold)????????
IMO that's correct

a) A polymer sealant forms a molecular bond with the paint surface, so when you remove it, you are removing excess product.

b)A 100% cotton towel will leave enough of the wax behind to enable it to form a surface coating.

Last edited by TOGWT; 06-20-2011 at 08:30 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Microfiber or Cotton Cloth

Quick Reply: Microfiber or Cotton Cloth