Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Cali Dusters

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Stan0324
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 109 Posts

Default Cali Dusters

I have one that is about 10 years old. It was one of the better units from WCC. Still looks brand new but its starting to not work as well as it did when it was new. Does it have a life cycle or is there a way to bring it back to life ?

Probably time for a new one.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:02 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I find it cheaper to replace .... some suggest washing which will remove some/all of the parrafin coating on the cloth head. The biggest difference now is the handle is plastic on newer models but some suggest they can still find an original with wood handle.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:03 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Stan0324
I have one that is about 10 years old. It was one of the better units from WCC. Still looks brand new but its starting to not work as well as it did when it was new. Does it have a life cycle or is there a way to bring it back to life ?

Probably time for a new one.
I just bought a new one at Wally-world with the plastic handle. the instructions claim the dirtier it gets the better it is. I had to get a new one because the wife found out it works great on the furniture.

clif
Old 06-05-2011, 08:05 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,565 Likes on 2,164 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Sometimes lying them on a newspaper for a day (like you would a new one) or two rejuvenates them. With high humidity they don't work as well. However, they are so cheap you can get a new one at Wally World as the other poster stated.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:02 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
Sometimes lying them on a newspaper for a day (like you would a new one) or two rejuvenates them. With high humidity they don't work as well. However, they are so cheap you can get a new one at Wally World as the other poster stated.
It is best advice to lay a new one on newspaper before first use to remove any excess paraffin wax. Otherwise you might see some streaking on paint. Dont know about maintenance on one, but seems worth the try.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:41 AM
0TH0001@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by z06clif
I just bought a new one at Wally-world with the plastic handle. the instructions claim the dirtier it gets the better it is. I had to get a new one because the wife found out it works great on the furniture.

clif
The reason it gets better is because the surface area of the yarn increases as it picks up dirt. The parrifin wax coats the dirt. The problem, of course, is while it might get better at removing dust, it gets more abrasive, which dramatically increases the risk of scratches and swirl marks.

Get notified of new replies

To Cali Dusters

Quick Reply: Cali Dusters