Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

New to machine polishing question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 12:26 AM
NJLS708
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New to machine polishing question.

So I'm just learning the in's and out's of polishing with a porter cable. I don't see any problems with flat surfaces. However, I'm not yet confident with polishing around curves on the body panels. What is the correct method for polishing non flat surfaces?
Old 06-03-2011, 07:00 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A flexible backing plate and a foam pad with a cut-out design can be of benefit when dealing with surface contours and angles as they tend to conform to these shapes better than a plain flat pad, they also tend to transfer less heat. They also provide an extra level of cushioning while polishing curved surfaces, distributes pressure evenly over the contact area of the pad, they are less aggressive than a more rigid backing plate and will help to reduce swirls

See also "Machine Polishing By Dual Action Polisher", Dave KG – http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=63859

Old 06-03-2011, 11:17 AM
NJLS708
Burning Brakes

Thanks, every instructional video I have ever watched always shows someone polishing the hood of a car. I wish someone I could find one that shows proper technique on the more difficult body panels. Does anyone know of one that exists?
Old 06-03-2011, 03:54 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

The idea is not to stop for long periods of time and use heavy pressure in these areas while buffer is on high speed. Otherwise its often quite similar. You can always tape the edges too if you are worried, but you will do fine and find youve likely worried about nothing.

http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-polisher.html
Old 06-04-2011, 03:14 PM
0TH0001@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NJLS708
So I'm just learning the in's and out's of polishing with a porter cable. I don't see any problems with flat surfaces. However, I'm not yet confident with polishing around curves on the body panels. What is the correct method for polishing non flat surfaces?
With a Porter Cable you will be fine polishing bends and curves. Try to keep the middle point of the pad 'flat' to the surface. The edges may lift slightly off the paint on very tight curves, but likely with pad pressed to the surface you won't notice.

Also, when you navigate around the curve, the pad will receive uneven pressure which may cause it to stall. If the pad stalls (stops rotating) it may be beneficial to ease up slightly and allow some rotation.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:41 AM
NJLS708
Burning Brakes

What about the tight spaces such as the rear of the car next to the license plate or around the mouth opening in the front of the car? Seems the pads are too large to be able to small the small spaces like that. Are there smaller pads available for these tight spaces?
Old 06-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Joz132
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

What about the tight spaces such as the rear of the car next to the license plate or around the mouth opening in the front of the car? Seems the pads are too large to be able to small the small spaces like that. Are there smaller pads available for these tight spaces?
You can purchase a smaller backing plate w/corresponding pads

or

You could invest in the Griots 3" orbital - it's a little underpowered, but still works well in tight spots. Great for door jambs too.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:05 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

http://www.autogeek.net/griots-orbital-polisher.html
Old 06-12-2011, 09:23 PM
0zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com's Avatar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are the smaller ones to look at : http://www.properautocare.com/Catego...hing-Pads.aspx

Get notified of new replies

To New to machine polishing question.

Quick Reply: New to machine polishing question.