Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Live Broadcast May 14th & May 15th - A Select Few!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Nick@Autogeek
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
Default Live Broadcast May 14th & May 15th - A Select Few!

Can't get to Stuart, Florida to attend one of our classes? Then do the next best thing and watch from your computer. Live Broadcast starts at 8:00am and goes to approximately 5:00pm BOTH DAYS Eastern Standard Time. We're going to enable a select few to watch the live broadcast, and then request some feedback. If you're interested, here's your chance to sit in on our Detailing 101 and 102 classes.

SPACES ARE LIMITED so if you are interested please respond to this thread and we will select a couple of you next week!

The first class covers machine polishing and the proper steps on how to remove swirls, apply wax by machine, surface evaluation, and more!

Detailing 101 - Machine Polishing - Saturday May 14th

Now that you've learned the principles of machine polishing, be sure to check out Detailing 102 on Sunday to learn how to wet sand by hand and remove orange peel.

Detailing 102 - Wetsanding, Cutting and Buffing for a Show Car Finish - Sunday May 15th, 2011

Old 05-05-2011, 07:51 PM
TxAggie
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in; just waiting on my Flex to get here. Looks like UPS busted the box up and it is headed back to yall.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:08 AM
mad-axeman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would love to get in on this. I have been reluctant to do much more than wash and clay bar, out of concern for making mistakes. Am quite sure I could learn a lot from these seminars. It would also be great to see some of the products I've been considering buying, actually being used.

Regards,
Stu
Old 05-10-2011, 08:21 AM
0MikePhillips
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you've ever wanted to learn more about machine polishing, this is a good way to learn if you can't get a plane ticket, hotel and rental car to Stuart...

Before and After - What you learn to do in our Detailing 101 Class

Below are some pictures showing what you will learn how to do at Autogeek's Detailing 101 Classes...

You can use the skill you learn to restore a show car finish on your own cars or start a part time detailing business and earn a few dollars restoring a show car finish for fellow car enthusiasts...

Here's our demo car, Rob's 2006 Mustang GT Convertible

Rob purchased this from a local dealership withe the DISO already installed at no extra charge.

DISO = Dealer Installed Swirl Option

Here's a few shots taken in the sun. Note how the swirls in the paint closest to the windshield have an almost floating or 3D effect, this is where the term hologram comes from in the context of talking about swirls instilled by a rotary buffer.

Here's a section of the above photo cropped out and in full size...

Mustangs are beautiful cars but not when the paint shimmers with swirls... the paint is supposed to shimmer with shine....

Here's the same car but now were use the flash from our camera to reveal the horrendous swirls...

I don't think I've ever seen a car so swirled out by the mis-use of a rotary buffer...

The zillions of swirls in the clear layer make the paint look hazy and blocks your view of the black paint under the clear top coat.

In this shot we've actually only buffed out just the passenger side of the hood... after getting some before and after shots we then buffed out the driver's side.

Here are the end results...

And here's Rob, the happy owner in his swirl free black Mustang...

Last edited by MikePhillips; 05-10-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:22 AM
0MikePhillips
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Autogeek is famous for doing "firsts", we're going on our 3rd time broadcasting our classes live, including our Advanced 102 Class.

Before and After - What you learn to do in our Detailing 102 Class

In our Detailing 102 class you'll learn the principals of dampsanding plus hand sanding and then how to remove your sanding marks using a rotary buffer, compounds and polishes.

Then you'll learn how to work the paint up to a swirl-free high gloss using a DA Polisher to apply wax by machine...

The Detailing 102 class will go over the meat of what the below article shares...

Damp-Sanding Tools, Tips and Techniques by Mike Phillips

Before

Dampsanded

Sanding marks removed using a rotary buffer

Machine applied paint sealant...

After

Last edited by MikePhillips; 05-10-2011 at 08:33 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Live Broadcast May 14th & May 15th - A Select Few!

Quick Reply: Live Broadcast May 14th & May 15th - A Select Few!