Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

What is the best way to get a great finish on Matt Paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 08:37 PM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What is the best way to get a great finish on Matt Paint

Need some advice on Matt Paint ? I seem to be stuck on a product to get matt paint looking spiffy ? Stewy
Old 03-23-2011, 07:35 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Matte or Satin Finish Paint - if polished with traditional polishes the finish will become less matte and glossier over time; do not wet-sand or use conventional wax or use an automatic car wash that uses hot wax in the final rinse, as the flattening agents that cause the matte appearance will become ‘levelled ‘The textured finish is accomplished by a diffused 30 degree reflection and are retained very close to the clear coat surface. By levelling the surface the light will be reflected evenly and result in a ‘shine’.

Use a machine polisher and an ultra soft, zero abrasive cut (100 PPI) foam pad) with a mild chemical paint cleaner it will remove surface marring and leave it satin matte. Use a clear polymer, the key is to add surface protection and depth without adding gloss.

Swisswax Opaque products for matte finish paint and vinyl wraps have been specifically developed (oil free) to ensure that they don’t change the appearance in matt paint or vinyl wraps.

1. Wash surface with Swisswax (SV) Opaque Car Bath and a 100 % cotton pile SV Waschpudel
2. Prior to wax application the wrap needs to be totally free from oils and dirt. Clean all wrapped surfaces with SV Opaque Pre-cleaner.
3. Spray a 100% cotton micro fibre towel and apply to one panel at a time.
4. Wipe off with a clean 100% cotton towel
5. Apply SV Opaque Wax to one panel at a time, this wax will provide depth without adding a shine
6. Allow to dry for 10 minutes before buffing off and moving to the next section.
7. After the wax has out gassed and set-up, allow 2-3 hours and then buff the surface with a soft 100% cotton micro fibre towel
8. Use Quick Finish Opaque as a quick detailer to remove finger marks and smudges
Old 03-23-2011, 09:04 AM
0TH0001@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know of several manufacturers (namely Audi and Lamborghini) that will not warranty their matte finishes because any abrasion is going to 'polish' the surface and add gloss over time.

Also these finishes seem to be porous, if you apply a product with oil or wax it will leech into the surface and leave a very blotchy appearance. I would recommend washing with dawn or another mild detergent and leaving it alone. If you have to clay it, clay it using dawn as well.

As far as waxing it, I wouldn't. The increased surface area of textured surface should do an adequate job of providing UV protection. Good luck and be careful.

Todd
Old 03-24-2011, 11:29 AM
JoshVette
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Perhaps a suggestion to anyone else reading who may be considering matt paint.

I believe they now make matt finish clear film to protect the surface, why not cover the whole car in this thus saving the finish, protecting it and keeping it looking flat??

Just a thought.

Josh
Old 03-25-2011, 02:57 AM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It just looks yuk ! I'll try a bottle of strong detergent and dry it off with a micro fiber. I think it might have some type of polish on it. Maybe I should try thinners ? Stewy

Get notified of new replies

To What is the best way to get a great finish on Matt Paint

Quick Reply: What is the best way to get a great finish on Matt Paint