Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Anyone use Simple Green to detail their engines?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 02:27 PM
Vortech C5
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Anyone use Simple Green to detail their engines?

Hey guys,

I have been using Simple Green to detail my engine for years with excellent results; however, I am reading more and more negative things about it. Apparently, a lot of people don't recommend it for engines??? Does anyone know anything about this? Is it just bogus?

Thanks!Ray
Old 01-21-2011, 02:31 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Never had an issue...light mist....rinse off. Been doing it for years.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:24 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

I have seen simple green haze and discolor metal before. There are better and safer products to use. P21s Total Auto Wash, Eimann Fabrik, Meguiar's APC+, etc.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Onyasix
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Have Used

I have used it and have no negatives. It seems to work fairly well. It is likely safer to use than some of the engine degreasers out there. It's bio-degradable for those that care. Any engine clearner that I use I rinse off with a low pressure (1200 psi) power wash (take care around electronics) and dry down with my Masterblaster.

Last edited by Onyasix; 01-21-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:13 PM
rrichar2591
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 182 Posts

Don't have the bottle handy but I think there is a warning not to use it on certain metals (might be alum.) You have to read the small print if I remember right. It has never given me a problem however but I have stopped using it because of the warning.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:30 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://consumer.simplegreen.com/cons_faqs.php

Simple Green products have been successfully and safely used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminium items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: Aluminium is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green or Crystal Simple Green can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times of All-Purpose Simple Green and Crystal Simple Green with unprotected or unpainted aluminium surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes.

Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green/Crystal Simple Green residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminium cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.

One should never assume that aqueous solutions could be disposed of down the drain. Your local water treatment authority or publicly owned treatment works (POTW) will have information on treatment and disposal of these cleaners. Adjustment of pH and dilution are usually required before disposal to a drain.

Simple Green is corrosive and will react with bare aluminium causing hydrogen embrittlement (this is also known as stress cracking corrosion). As the cleaner gradually ferments it reduces the pH from its normal mildly alkaline state to acidic. Slow corrosion of the aluminium results, generating a little hydrogen on the surface.

Anaerobic conditions also generate hydrogen and hydrogen sulphide bio chemically, producing small amounts of methane. The aluminium probably has sufficient residual stress to be susceptible to hydrogen stress cracking, and this can be accelerated by the sulphide.

A ‘safer’ alternative Simple Green® Aircraft & Precision Cleaner - http://industrial.simplegreen.com/ind_prod_ext_mor.phpMeets Boeing Specs –D6 – 1748-7P (Water - based, no Hydrocarbon solvents)
Old 01-23-2011, 08:36 AM
Tom's_03SVT
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I dilute it 50/50 and never had an issue, works great.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:59 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,565 Likes on 2,164 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Simple Green is a great product for cleaning off grease and grime.

Just keep it away from Aluminum. It will discolor it and may cause deterioration with long term use.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:16 PM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

Friend used it on his victory red calipers and they came out sort of orange.

Last edited by ufso; 01-23-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:26 PM
1FUNC5
Le Mans Master

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter99
Never had an issue...light mist....rinse off. Been doing it for years.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone use Simple Green to detail their engines?

Quick Reply: Anyone use Simple Green to detail their engines?