Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Wet Sanding Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 11:36 AM
RaskyR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stewart Allison
800 grit WOW that's harsh stuff ! Man you would wan't to make sure you have half an inch of paint under there LOL. That certainly would remove some product but I have never gone below 1200 and that was on a 10 year old major orange peel paint work. It took me a million years to remove the 1200 scratches but they did finally come out with 2000. Stewy
keeping in mind this is only done a repainted cars, I usually do it when the clear is rock hard or the orange peel is really bad. I don't level it all they way down with 800....I just knock down the majority of the high points and you can still see the area needs more leveling after going over it (some glossy low points remain). I may move up in smaller increments after 800 by going to 1000, 1200, or 1500 depending on the paint. I feel it can save a little time and produce a better final product this way. It really depends on the paint though and how workable it is.

Rasky

Quick Reply: Wet Sanding Question