Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Consensus on Best Wax?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 08:33 AM
Stan MI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ztheusa
If it can't be done in 45 minutes it's not worth the bother.

Blackfire Wet Diamond. On and Off, less than 45 and lasts and lasts !!
Old 12-15-2010, 09:53 AM
mvcrash
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your kidding?.....
Old 12-15-2010, 04:18 PM
Stan MI
Pro

Originally Posted by mvcrash
Your kidding?.....
I know what you mean but this guy is fairly new here so you might want to qualify that statement.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:51 AM
0zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com's Avatar

Originally Posted by ZaneO
No consensus, all personal preference.

Prep and protect.
, with so many products out there and what one's eyes can see OTC and vendors products work well for everyone. The number one factor is the Prep work to bring that look your looking for. I go with Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection as my sealant of choice then if I want the most durable wax for the price, then Colinite paste wax is the one. Another one is Meguiar's No 21 top off with No 26 wax which is another great combo. One more thing if you want to boost the shine and create even more protection than what this one product already offers, you should consider adding Polycharger®. Polycharger is the world's first Wax Booster™ supercharging your liquid wax, sealant, and quick detail spray to provide more shine and longer durability with just a few drops. But remember it all about taking care of your ride and making you the owner very happy in the long run.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:04 PM
Onyasix
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rockbridge
I've sure tried but I fail to find what might be a consensus on the best wax for these cars. Mine is 02 MY vert and paint is in great shape. Very tiny, must be wash, drying marks on hood and trunk, I have an orbital buffer I've used on other vehicles with good results, but hesitate to use it on the vette, so far. These are very minimal scratches only visible across the hood and trunk with 600 W lights on the other of the car. Make sense?

I'm looking for the silver bullet wax for the C5 Vette!

Thanks
First, no pure waxes or polishes alone will remove your scratches. At best they will only cover up the scratches and make them less noticeable. To remove the scratches you will need a polish with abrasives and the amount of abrasives (cut) needed depends on the depth of the scratches. If scratches are deeper than your clear coat, you are out of luck on removing them.

Our Vettes have a hard (but thin) clean coat, so removing scratches by hand may be very challenging to say the least. You mentioned that you have an orbital buffer. Orbital buffers vary in performance, so the amount of worked required for any particular job will vary accordingly.

I have a Flex XC 3401 and use Menzerna polishes to remove scratches. I am pleased with both products. You need to match the right polishing pad with the appropriate polish (cut) to meet the job at hand (severity of the scratches). It is best/safer to start with low abrasives (less cut) to meet the task.

Once the scratches are moved, use a good sealant/polish to protect the paint/clear coat. I use Zaino products at this point. I may use Z-PC (by machine) to remove any minor swirls marks. Next, Z-5 Pro. Z-5 is an excellent sealant/polish with additives to cover very minor scratches/swirl marks. I recommend a minimum of two layers of Z-5, preceded by a minimum of one layer of Z-2 Pro. This should give you an excellent foundation/protection/shine for adding more layers of Z-2 or Z-5 or your favorite wax.

Sidebar: When applying Z-polishes, it is best to apply Z-6 spray between layers and finish off with Z-8 spray. For added protection you may want to put a final coat of Z-CS Clear Seal.

Using Zaino products can be as simple as one application of Z-AIO to multi-layering with Z-2 and Z-5. I go simple with my daily driver and go all the way with my Vette.

Last edited by Onyasix; 12-18-2010 at 01:13 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:02 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html
Old 12-17-2010, 02:57 AM
nch209
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, I am on my first black vehicle. To say it takes more work is an understatement. I have been using Zaino on an OK finish, and the results were excellent. On my last vette (Yellow) you could be much more lax and get good results... not with black!

I am going to attack this car with a different approach. I am using menzerna products to buff then polish, a few coats of zaino, topped off with souveran wax. I think souveran is right up my alley, as its ok on my budget vs somthing like swissvax, and I am OK with reapplying it since it will not last like zaino does.

This is the plan, and as mentioned, prep is the most important part. No real sense in stacking waxes over imperfections. When you see a car done properly, black, it really looks awesome!

To your question though- start searching this and other detailing forums. EVERYONE IS RIGHT ALL THE TIME! LOL!!! Jokes aside, nobody will like exactly what YOU do, but do your research and learn and try some things! You will find what works for you.

Ok, now what is the best MOTOR OIL??? <smile>
Old 12-17-2010, 09:52 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by nch209
Well, I am on my first black vehicle. To say it takes more work is an understatement. I have been using Zaino on an OK finish, and the results were excellent. On my last vette (Yellow) you could be much more lax and get good results... not with black!

I am going to attack this car with a different approach. I am using menzerna products to buff then polish, a few coats of zaino, topped off with souveran wax. I think souveran is right up my alley, as its ok on my budget vs somthing like swissvax, and I am OK with reapplying it since it will not last like zaino does.

This is the plan, and as mentioned, prep is the most important part. No real sense in stacking waxes over imperfections. When you see a car done properly, black, it really looks awesome!

To your question though- start searching this and other detailing forums. EVERYONE IS RIGHT ALL THE TIME! LOL!!! Jokes aside, nobody will like exactly what YOU do, but do your research and learn and try some things! You will find what works for you.

Ok, now what is the best MOTOR OIL??? <smile>
If you want that little extra pop I would top my Zaino with CS/Z8 or at the very least Z8. I have experimented with nuba toppers on Zaino and have found that they really do not add anything extra in my opinion especially when you have a perfect finish. I really did not see any difference between a Z8 topper and a PS topper and if I stick withing the system I do not need to worry about removing wax before applying additional layers or my Zaino bonding properly. The other issue I had was the nuba's tend to sweat on a black car when out in the sun and heat giving me a very hazy finish. Sweating is when the oils from the nuba come to the surface from excessive heat. I have also found that most high quality nuba's tend to sweat when out in the sun on dark colored cars. JMHO
Old 12-17-2010, 01:59 PM
nch209
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks to the above tip. I'm still researching and deciding- but I'm gonna try souveran atop for myself and see. This stuff goes so far, I will be just out time.

I guess I am not much of a quick detailer/spray kind of a dude. I find myself adding zaino z5/2 after washes anyhow in place of quick sprays, and with souveran on/off I'm thinking it may suit me well. If it sweets and hazes, thats another story!!!
Old 12-17-2010, 04:53 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,569 Likes on 2,165 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

As others have said, it's all about proper preparation. But, Zaino is my favorite after trying everything else
Old 12-19-2010, 09:12 AM
mvcrash
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Been a long time since a thread with this topic stayed civil. I am glad it did and also glad I did not close it.

As usual, thanks to all who posted the great information.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:38 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Weve done a little something special this holiday season for those of you all that prefer to use the Pinnacle line of products. Nothing like ivory carnauba products to set off your Vette and its been a long time favorite show winner too. Happy BOGO !!

http://www.autogeek.net/buy-one-get-one-free.html
Old 12-19-2010, 10:14 AM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by nch209
Thanks to the above tip. I'm still researching and deciding- but I'm gonna try souveran atop for myself and see. This stuff goes so far, I will be just out time.

I guess I am not much of a quick detailer/spray kind of a dude. I find myself adding zaino z5/2 after washes anyhow in place of quick sprays, and with souveran on/off I'm thinking it may suit me well. If it sweets and hazes, thats another story!!!
souveran shouldn't haze up on you, that wax is made for ham fisted goons like me (easy to apply easy to take off).
Old 12-20-2010, 12:59 AM
vettluver
Instructor

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Weve done a little something special this holiday season for those of you all that prefer to use the Pinnacle line of products. Nothing like ivory carnauba products to set off your Vette and its been a long time favorite show winner too. Happy BOGO !!

http://www.autogeek.net/buy-one-get-one-free.html
Great deal on this stuff...very happy with Souveran although this is the first pure carnauba wax I've ever used.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:03 PM
TysonJones
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Wash
2. Dry
3. 2 coats of Rejex
4. 1 coat of carnauba wax of your choice (preferably pinnacle or meguiars)
5. Sit back and enjoy the results
Old 01-01-2011, 04:05 PM
TOPCATHR
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Collinite 845

duragloss 105

also duragloss makes the best car wash i use it in my foam gun 2 oz tons of foam

Quick Reply: Consensus on Best Wax?