Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Car Soap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 01:28 PM
Bonefishmak
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car Soap?

Is there really any difference and if so, what do you use? I have used several and I forgot what I have at home but, I am going through..getting new and getting rid of the other stuff. Well some of it...but, I want a whole new batch of product to work on my new vette. It is red and most of my other cars were metallics, gray so, I want to have what works best on red.

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2010, 02:40 PM
diablojota
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used both the Meguiars and the Wolfgang Auto Bathe. It's all about the same to me. My car is red.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:14 PM
Greg Nichols
Advanced

Soaps are not all the same, different ones for different purposes.

I really like Chemical guys Citrus wash and gloss, when use in correct ratios it clean with limited degradation of the LSP, and limited mechanical washing.

You can use Dawn, but that will likely strip all waxes and most sealants from the paint, great for prepping for polishing and then just before your LSP.

My criteria for soap is does it sud very well, long cling time, excellent lubricity, and cleaning with out use of mechanical action.

1Z perls is a very gentle soap that is great for cleaning light build ups.

Most soaps at the auto store are just okay compared with others you can buy online.

Cheers,
GREG
Old 10-18-2010, 06:50 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

You want the best and most versatile soaps, then consider:
1. Optimums
2. Poorboys Suds
3. Duragloss
4. Griots

http://autogeek.net/washing.html
Old 10-18-2010, 07:05 PM
GotChrist?
Burning Brakes

I second the Duragloss (#3 above). Great stuff, very little is needed, lasts a long time, super sudsy, and lubricity is first rate.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:25 PM
Bonefishmak
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
1. Optimums
2. Poorboys Suds
3. Duragloss
4. Griots

I did not see duraglos on your site....did I miss it?

Probably do optimums however I was thinking of buying the Wolfgang kit which came with their car wash? How is that? Also I put in an order today on your site and got a free thing of pinnacle wash....what are your thoughts on the pinnacle?
Old 10-19-2010, 06:08 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Bonefishmak
I did not see duraglos on your site....did I miss it?

Probably do optimums however I was thinking of buying the Wolfgang kit which came with their car wash? How is that? Also I put in an order today on your site and got a free thing of pinnacle wash....what are your thoughts on the pinnacle?
Pinnacle and Wolfgang make great soaps and work extremely well within their respective lines. The ones listed above are most versatile and most popular products within the AG offerings.

http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss.html
Duragloss Line
Old 10-19-2010, 08:28 PM
hplacecf
Instructor

There is a difference. OTC stuff is usually just ok.

I really love Chemical guys Citrus wash and gloss.
Great stuff for stripping or for washing.

Long story short, and don't laugh, I washed my red Toro lawn tractor with it and it came out squeaky clean. (And yes, I then buffed it out with m105 and m205 and applied a sealant as well...two coats...lol)
Old 10-19-2010, 09:31 PM
Bonefishmak
Melting Slicks

Pinnacle and Wolfgang make great soaps and work extremely well within their respective lines. The ones listed above are most versatile and most popular products within the AG offerings.

http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss.html
Duragloss Line
AG offerings?
Old 10-20-2010, 01:41 AM
nch209
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I use Zaino- and NO, I am not a Zanio groupie. I just found that it works well for me. Try some of the offerings listed above, and I am sure you will find one that works for you!
Old 10-20-2010, 08:37 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,563 Likes on 2,163 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by nch209
I use Zaino- and NO, I am not a Zanio groupie. I just found that it works well for me. Try some of the offerings listed above, and I am sure you will find one that works for you!
I am a certified Zainophile The Zaino Z7 concentrated car wash does a great job. Makes lots of suds and a bottle lasts forever. It really leaves the surface very clean.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:56 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My criteria for a good quality car wash concentrate; surface lubrication (to minimize marring), dirt encapsulation (it must contain a surfactant), a slightly alkaline pH around 8.0 (if it’s too alkaline it will strip the LSP) it should also contain a balanced blend of active biodegradable ingredients.

Some Product Suggestions- because Souveran was designed purely as a show car wax, for the best results use the Pinnacle Soap and the Crystal Mist Spray or Souveran Spray Wax separately for best results.

For polymer sealants- 1z einszett Perls, Griot's Garage Car Wash, Swissvax Car Bathe or Zaino Z-7 Car Wash

Last edited by TOGWT; 10-21-2010 at 05:22 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:17 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

AG offerings?
This was a link to Duragloss which I thought you had a hard time finding. Its a fine line and the soap (red bottles) will have you happy.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:22 PM
Bonefishmak
Melting Slicks

This was a link to Duragloss which I thought you had a hard time finding. Its a fine line and the soap (red bottles) will have you happy.
Actually i meant what doeS ag stand for. Lol

And yes i could not find duragloss. Thanks for the link!
Old 10-20-2010, 07:59 PM
HP ADDICT
Pro

Optimums is really a good soap at a reasonable price. I am going to order some asap!
Old 10-21-2010, 10:25 AM
Bonefishmak
Melting Slicks

So can you use Optimums like a regular car soap? It shows directions for adding to your car and for using as No rinse type thing. I will be rinsing so, I assume use the same and rinse? Actually I was thinking maybe the best way is to add to another soap to help condition water? Extra lubricity...and perhaps soap up with it seperate to get the loose dirt off first then wash again?

I know...I am crazy. First clean up on this car and I want to do good before I get the sealant and wax on...just being very protective.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:34 AM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

So can you use Optimums like a regular car soap? It shows directions for adding to your car and for using as No rinse type thing. I will be rinsing so, I assume use the same and rinse? Actually I was thinking maybe the best way is to add to another soap to help condition water? Extra lubricity...and perhaps soap up with it seperate to get the loose dirt off first then wash again?

I know...I am crazy. First clean up on this car and I want to do good before I get the sealant and wax on...just being very protective.

optimum has three different soaps:
Optimum Car Wash- traditional soap put some in a bucket, hose down your car, lather, rinse, repeat (wait thats my shampoo)
Optimum No rinse wash and gloss- rinsless product, fill bucket, add ONR, dip mit, wipe car with mitt until clean, dry with towel
Optimum opticlean- waterless wash- spray on panel wipe away dirt (light dirt?)

either one of these will work it all depends on how dirty your car is, I know on my vette it never gets dirty enough to need a full blown car wash with a hose, and i have been able to wash my wifes acura mdx (soft black paint) after driving in snow and road salt for a week and not get marring using ONR

Get notified of new replies

To Car Soap?

Old 10-21-2010, 11:37 AM
Bonefishmak
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by blackmachdown
optimum has three different soaps:
Optimum Car Wash- traditional soap put some in a bucket, hose down your car, lather, rinse, repeat (wait thats my shampoo)
Optimum No rinse wash and gloss- rinsless product, fill bucket, add ONR, dip mit, wipe car with mitt until clean, dry with towel
Optimum opticlean- waterless wash- spray on panel wipe away dirt (light dirt?)

either one of these will work it all depends on how dirty your car is, I know on my vette it never gets dirty enough to need a full blown car wash with a hose, and i have been able to wash my wifes acura mdx (soft black paint) after driving in snow and road salt for a week and not get marring using ONR
Ah cool..I guess I probably read to fast..or assume all Opti was ONR. Got it..I think I may have the no rinse at home..which I guess is the one you can add to your regular soap per Autogeek website. I think I like that idea.

I may practice on another vehicle the ONR...it scares me. I mean a bone dry vehicle you just take a mit with ONR and go at it? Well once you mix in a bucket..and assume use of two bucket method.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:29 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-car-wash.html

This is the traditional car wash and a great soap with lots of lubrication. Dont however be scared of ONR and you should keep some for quick washes or times when traditional washing is hard, like traveling. I did it for an entire week (every night) recently on my Vette without any noticable marring. Its truly a must-have product too.

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html
Old 10-21-2010, 06:42 PM
TBonez
2005 Beast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1. Optimums
2. Poorboys Suds
3. Duragloss
4. Griots

"Undeniably the single most sensual step of car care—the suds, a clean aroma, cool fresh water, a nice, soft sea sponge or mitt, some good jazz—and you have the makings of a beautiful morning or afternoon spent with your car."

That's classic.

Quick Reply: Car Soap?