Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

CAR CARE INFO PLEASE? How to clean Chrome C1

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 01:41 PM
Dklean2003
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CAR CARE INFO PLEASE? How to clean Chrome C1

Hello,

I just bought a c1 vette. I am looking for cleaning products.

How do you clean the white walls? I have used Bleech White but it looks like all the white is going to come offf the tire if I use it. Any suggestions?

Also how do you clean the chrome? Whats the best product to use? At the stores I see whell cleaner but no CHrome cleaner. I do not like the polishes? Is there a spray I can use that does the job?

Also how would you go about cleaning the inside? the vinyl, dash, etc. I am new to this and am taking the car to a show this weekeend.

THanks for your help in advance.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:20 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,574 Likes on 2,166 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Dklean2003
Hello,

How do you clean the white walls? I have used Bleech White but it looks like all the white is going to come offf the tire if I use it. Any suggestions?

Also how do you clean the chrome? Whats the best product to use? At the stores I see whell cleaner but no CHrome cleaner. I do not like the polishes? Is there a spray I can use that does the job?

Also how would you go about cleaning the inside? the vinyl, dash, etc. I am new to this and am taking the car to a show this weekeend.

For my 61 I use the Zaino line of products for cleaning. Z7 is an excellent soap for washing. I use Z2, All in One and clear sealant on the chrome and hubcaps as well as the paint. Westley's Bleach White and a soapy Brillo Pad along with a bristle brush works well on the whitewalls. I have never had Bleach white take the white off the whitewall.

If your chrome is in excellent condition it does not need any abrasives to maintain it. I spritz it with Z6 for regular touch-ups. (Z6 is like a spray detailer with some minor cleaning capabilities.)
Old 09-13-2010, 02:43 PM
clearbraj
Heel & Toe

Hello,

Bleech White will not remove white from the side wall - Now there are whitewall paints used for touch up - you can touch up the whole whitewall if needed. Maybe this is what is being removed from the tire? My two cents....

Last edited by clearbraj; 09-13-2010 at 02:44 PM. Reason: cause we can
Old 09-13-2010, 03:25 PM
0jason@autogeek
Former Vendor

DP Cleanse All is amazing on whitewalls. It's also great on the rest of the rubber as well. Really gets them clean.

Griot Garage has a nice spray on Chrome Wheel Cleaner

DP Total Interior Combo
has a great cleaner and a protectant to make the interior look like new.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:02 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 307 Posts

Hello,

I havent had whitewalls in like a thousand years,but for the chrome i use Blingmaster.

Clif
Old 09-14-2010, 11:43 PM
0TH0001@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello,

There is no doubt that Wesley's Bleach White is a great cleaner, but it can be a little strong if the white paint/dye is coming off. It is my understanding that original white wall tires actually used white natural rubber (with carbon black added to the treaded areas), but on modern tires white walls are usually painted on.

I am not sure what brand of white wall tires you have as I don't have a lot of experience with the various reproduction companies, but I would first contact the makers of your tire and find out if it is natural white rubber or a painted on stripe. This could explain the reason why you are getting transfer on your rag.

If it is a painted on stripe and it has aged to the point that a solvent based cleaner is removing it (and it looks dirty) it is probably stained. Try a mild household product, like Dawn, and an old toothbrush. Gently brush an area and see if you can clean some of dirt with out removing the paint/dye. If you cannot clean the tire without removing any dye, then it is stained and probably needs to be refinished.

If it is a natural white rubber tire, then I would ask the manufacturer specifics on what is recommended for cleaning. I would imagine that stronger solvents would be fine and help clean the tire (including bleach white).

It depends on what condition your Chrome is in to begin with. If your chrome is in really good shape and already has a brilliant shine, then clean it just like you would the rest of your classic Vette (wash, quick detailer, etc), and keep it protected with a high quality sealant like Blackfire's Wet Diamond All Metal Sealant.

If your chrome lacks that brilliant luster, then you will need a light polish to restore the luster before applying the Blackfire Wet Diamond All Metal Sealant. For chrome I really like Wenol's metal polishing twins. These are non-abrasive (non aggressive) metal polishes so they will deep clean the metal with out removing the thin chrome plating.

The Chrome on this C1 was polished with Wenol.

If chrome is badly scratched (hazy), pitted, or has dull spots where the chrome is thin, then re-plating is the only way to restore that luster. Once you have the chrome looking it's best, keep it protected, and clean as normal.

With automobiles of the this age and vintage, it is really hard to make specific product recommendations because we don't know exactly what we are working with. Particularly since this Corvette is so new to you. Are you working with original vinyl, has it be re-dyed, or re-sprayed? Unfortunately we sometimes find these things out too late, as the only way to tell is if we damage something or remove the finish.

If your vinyl is clean looking, and you just need a light clean up, then a damp cloth will work great. However if there is some soiling in the grain of the vinyl and you are trying to make it look its best for the car show, then you will need a little more aggressive approach.

Since we don't know exactly what you are working with, start with the least aggressive process you can and work your way up. I would start with an old toothbrush and just (a mist of) water, and gently clean a test spot in an inconspicuous area. Wipe dry with a towel and look at it, checking to see if you removed any dye. Look at the spot you cleaned and see if is noticeably better. If it isn't cleaner and you haven't removed any dye, then I would slowly add a little all purpose cleaner to your water.

For this I would recommend Optimum Power Clean (which would also work well on your tires!) and a multi purpose graduated spray bottle for the water/mix. This way you can measure the dilution as you go. I would start with 10 parts water to 1 part Optimum Power Clean at first.

Clean and inspect, and increase the dilution as necessary to achieve the cleaning power you need but always check to make sure you are not removing dye.

After your vinyl is cleaned to the condition you want, then you are going to want to add a protectant to it help prevent future soiling and help block UV rays.

Areospace 303 Protectant is really perfect for this application.

No problem and I hope I helped. I know that I ramble on sometimes. The reason that I suggest such a cautious approach is because my expertise is working on vintage, often original automobiles and preparing them for concours events around the world. It is always better, although more time consuming to take the safest approach and preserve your classic, vs. grabbing something made for new automobiles, reading the instructions, and going at it.

Congratulations on the purchase and I know we all look forward to seeing the pics!

Last edited by TH0001@properautocare.com; 09-14-2010 at 11:47 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To CAR CARE INFO PLEASE? How to clean Chrome C1

Quick Reply: CAR CARE INFO PLEASE? How to clean Chrome C1