Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Window Tint Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 01:53 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Window Tint Removal?

I recently bought my 07Z from out of state (New Orleans) , the rear hatch glass is completly tinted black, I am talking Limo tint dark. The side windows are fairly dark but you can see in the car.

I want to remove the tint on the hatch because of the Tint-****'s of IL police.. even though a law passed now where we can have tint, it's only up to a certain %... some cops are now carrying tint-meters to even check. (sometimes I think we were better off not having it legalized cuz now its drawn even more attention to it than when it was not legal)

What can I use to remove this? I am going to have the hatch re-tinted, but can't get into to a professional shop for the next 2 weeks, and I don't want to by hassled by the cops in the mean-time.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:04 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

There are some commercial strippers that can be used to remove tint, but be careful if you need to use any blades. Scratching the rear hatch and defroster lines is costly if it needs replacement. Here is a worthy replacement :

http://autogeek.net/scraperite-plast...or-blades.html

I would however look online to see what is acceptable in your State for tint on rear window specifically. In some states its the side windows that have the lowest tint % and you might find you can leave it to professionals if you are currently compliant on rear specifically.

Last edited by Killrwheels@Autogeek; 08-04-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:20 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Thanks for the tips Yea the window tint law is on the state website, and the shop I am going to use will only do tint within the legal limit (for obvious reasons). I looked at it several times. I might just leave it and let the shop deal with it... during the day its normally not too risky, but if I am driving at night obviously a bigger risk.

f my side windows were not tinted, I would be fine leaving the limo tint on the rear, but since that is not the case, the rear will have to be lighter. Right now, you can't see through it.. it actually looks great on the car cuz it matches the black paint well.. but only matter of time before a Johnny-law decides he needs to meet is ticket quota for the month and I get nabbed.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:38 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

having tinted every car I have ever had (live in South Florida) dont skimp on the tint and quality. You dont want one to turn purple from black, you want one with a very high UV rating to block out sun, scratch resistance, and you want a warranty as possible. Some even offer security protection too. Each brand usually offers several types so dont just shop name of tint, but benefits. Look for computer cutting where the cuts are even and borders small, and most should be able to do one piece rear section. (the hard part on Vettes is the top of rear, it can be sanded down , painted, or untinted as desired)

Last edited by Killrwheels@Autogeek; 08-04-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:52 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
having tinted every car I have ever had (live in South Florida) dont skimp on the tint and quality. You dont want one to turn purple from black, you want one with a very high UV rating to block out sun, scratch resistance, and you want a warranty as possible. Some even offer security protection too. Each brand usually offers several types so dont just shop name of tint, but benefits. Look for computer cutting where the cuts are even and borders small, and most should be able to do one piece rear section. (the hard part on Vettes is the top of rear, it can be sanded down , painted, or untinted as desired)
The shop I am going to use is called "umbra" its in Schaumburg IL, a few people local to me have used them and with good results. They also do alot of work on exotics , so I am assumig from that they should be good.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:26 PM
KLO
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you pay the shop extra I am sure they will remove the old tint for you. If you want remove the tinti yourself, peel up one corner if you can and try to peel it off in as few pieces as possible, comes off easier if you put it in the sun to heat up a little first. Once the plastic is off, the fun begins as you will probably have a window covered with sticky goo, I would not use any kind of scraping device (blades) on the defroster lines. What I use is a solvent called Goof Off (walmart available, paint section) and work small areas at a time with a micro cloth and the goof off. Get most of it off and you can clean the rest with regulars glass cleaner.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:15 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,769 Likes on 970 Posts

I have paid to have it removed and removed it myself, my last truck I did myself because of a deal that popped up, I will never do it myself again, the tint came off fairly easy, but the glue took a few hours to remove completely

Get notified of new replies

To Window Tint Removal?

Quick Reply: Window Tint Removal?